Firefox crashing all the time ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Man this WinXp Pro system I use just for family stuff in Living Room, is always crashing when in Firefox. And it is updated to the latest 3.5 build.

It happens now like 90% of the time when I click exit on a page, or the X button in upper right corner to close that tab.

Or sometime will just crash while I am surfing, and now the last week, it crashes almost once every few minutes WTF :confused:

Firefox is still in Beta testing stage. It may be having issues with certain add-ons. For now the best you can do is revert to 3.0.11.

I'd uninstall it...and make sure the directories are fully deleted afterwards (so lots of extensions and add-ons are truely removed).

Reinstall the latest official release, reinstall your add-ons and extensions fresh...but slowly. Install your important ones first..let a few days go by, install a few more.

How about just using 3.0.11

3.5 has never, ever crashed for me. And its open 24/7 on my machine with multiple tabs and extensions.

Something just got fucked up, a clean uninstall and reinstall and he should be all good.

Firefox 3.5 is sooo tempting, but I will have to wait till at least most of my extensions become officially supported.

Firefox 3.5 is sooo tempting, but I will have to wait till at least most of my extensions become officially supported.

That's the key. Sooooo many extensions out there...some can get wonky, esp older ones. Just because it runs fine for 9 out of 10 people....nobody can presume to know what extensions someone else runs, and the past history of prior versions of those extensions live in the directory.

I would suggest not to use FF 3.5, it is still in pre-release. Try uninstalling FF 3.5, remove the FF directories, restart (I know, it's a windoze thing):p, and then install FF 3.0.11

3.5 has never, ever crashed for me. And its open 24/7 on my machine with multiple tabs and extensions.

Something just got fucked up, a clean uninstall and reinstall and he should be all good.
I know, I've been running since 3.1 b2 and only had 1 crash. But still, I remember Firefox 3.0.3-3.0.6 constantly crashed on my system and it went away with 3.0.7. Sometimes theirs some weird shit in there.

been using FF since the beginning.. and honestly ive never had firefox crash on me ever.. and firefox is always open on my system.. about the only time its ever closed is when i restart my system which is rare..

been using FF since the beginning.. and honestly ive never had firefox crash on me ever.. and firefox is always open on my system.. about the only time its ever closed is when i restart my system which is rare..
You don't have many extensions, do you? ;)
But really. You never suffered memory leaks?

Its funny how much fear and uncertainty there is here with beta/rc software.

Firefox 3.5 beta and now the RC are very stable, just give it a shot.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Its funny how much fear and uncertainty there is here with beta/rc software.

Firefox 3.5 beta and now the RC are very stable, just give it a shot.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
Without extensions, I'd rather take 0pera or Chrome.
Firefox isn't really good without extensions.

Without extensions, I'd rather take 0pera or Chrome.
Firefox isn't really good without extensions.

Very true. Adding "extensions.checkCompatibility" to the about:config page and setting it to False lets any extension install on 3.5 and unless its a really old extension it should (and in my experience, does) work just fine.

Very true. Adding "extensions.checkCompatibility" to the about:config page and setting it to False lets any extension install on 3.5 and unless its a really old extension it should (and in my experience, does) work just fine.
I don't think so. Compatiability checks are there for a reason. I've tried the Nighty Tools during the transition between FF 2.0 and 3.0, and it was problematic.

I don't think so. Compatiability checks are there for a reason. I've tried the Nighty Tools during the transition between FF 2.0 and 3.0, and it was problematic.

Just my experience then. I have 15 extensions installed and over half of them aren't supported but they work fine.

Back