• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Firefox causing laptop to overheat?

Paxonator

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
102
It seems that whenever i have a lot of tabs open or looking at a picture heavy thread my temps go from around 55C to about 74C. This causes Firefox to stop functioning properly and my computer doesn't cool back down until i shut down Firfox. But i can view those same threads in IE without any problems. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? My laptop is an Armada m700 which is a PIII 700MHz, 310mb ram, 60gb 4200rpm drive. thanks
 
Now that's weird. Firefox, if anything, should be using less resources than IE. I'd start running some monitoring software and check out what's going on behind the scenes when this happens, since this really should not be happening.

Maybe there is something wrong and it's constantly paging the HDD, or is constantly querying something and is taking up your CPU's idle time or something.
 
Sieravor said:
Now that's weird. Firefox, if anything, should be using less resources than IE. I'd start running some monitoring software and check out what's going on behind the scenes when this happens, since this really should not be happening.

Maybe there is something wrong and it's constantly paging the HDD, or is constantly querying something and is taking up your CPU's idle time or something.

Okay right now it is doing it and Firefox is using 150mb and my cpu usage is at 75% and up. My hard drive temperature is 46C. My laptop is clean as far as spyware goes and viruses.
 
Ok, wow, that's not normal at all. Try reinstalling firefox. Aside from that, there's not really much I can suggest. 75% and up CPU usage is not normal for anything, except heavy media apps taht are encoding movies and the like.

I'll check around to see if this is a known problem.
 
I'm using 1.07 so not the newest. I've got some downloads going so i'll have to wait to give the upgrade a try. I was just reading how the newer version was even worse for using up ram than previous versions so i didn't bother for my laptop. This has been a problem on my laptop for a while now and i've run out of ideas.
 
Ok, I just went over 30-40 pages of complaints over at the mozilla site, and I couldn't find a single fix for the problem, but I did find taht alot of others were having the same issues. RAM being gobbled up and CPU idle time being consumed.

There was a considerable amount of mention of flash causing issues however, and that there is a flashblocker extension that has solved some people's problems. Oh, and the problem ranges from 1.0 to 1.5 from what I've read.

Other than what I saw there, there isn't too much to be said. Hopefully the devs are looking into the matter and will have a fix for the problem at some point.

As a side note, you might want to check in the software section of the forums to see if there is a known fix or solution to the problem.

Good luck.
 
Moving to General Software section of forum. Might get better advice/help there.

 
Sieravor said:
Now that's weird. Firefox, if anything, should be using less resources than IE.

Why ? Despite it's many merits, Firefox IS slower and more resource intensive than IE
 
pigster said:
Why ? Despite it's many merits, Firefox IS slower and more resource intensive than IE

I agree, however ie has the advantage of being built into the OS. I've looked at the task manager at firefox when doing heavy pasting and it spikes pretty high to about %100 for a brief moment. On a slow computer with heavy flash and lots of windows I could see a lot of CPU usage. But if just pictures are doing it, I might think something else is the problem, especially if IE has no problem.

Have you tried Opera? It's free now.
 
im using 1.0.7 on my laptop right now with 2 tabs and its using 38M and dropping, it normally runs around 29-30M.

Never had any problems with heat issues tho, that is odd
 
i have noticed some problems and managed to narrow it down to one thing. any pdf documents opened using firefox. i have reproduced this over and over, and now i only download the pdfs first, then open them separately.
what seems to happen is that the memory allocated for the adobe plugin and acrobat reader, or full acrobat is never released by firefox. so if you open a pdf, then close the tab, the memory never releases. Even if you completely close out of firefox. so i always ended up with close to 100MB of firefox memory.
now i hover just below 25. i use adblock for firefox, so most popups, flash and other unwanted junk is filtered. noscript is another nice addon, as it keeps you even safer, with even fewer things happening on screen. as far as pdfs, i use pdf download, an addon that asks me what to do everythime i click a pdf.
 
For me, when Firefox is loading a page, it uses a lot of resources and causes high cpu usage ( More than other browsers). This increases for each tab that has a page actively loading.

Also, in Firefox, when I switch tabs, the code responsible for switching tabs must be very inefficient. If I have more than say 15 tabs open, there's a 1 second delay in switching tabs. I can have 50 tabs open in Opera and they switch instantly.

Also, when a plugin initializes, Firefox uses more resources than other browsers.

Sometimes, I think the combination of all that and bugs induces a memory leak.

That's all without extensions. If I have extensions installed, things get worse.

Try a fresh install, no extensions, no plugins, java turned off, javascript turned off and open each page in a window instead of a tab. Does it still do it then?

Other suggestions would be to try Firefox 1.5 or 1.6a or Opera.
You could also use K-meleon if you want to use Firefox's rendering engine with a faster, more efficient interface. ( Do note though that they are a little bit behind on their releases)
 
Im having the same problem, and I just didn´t know which was the cause of this. I have a desktop PC, xp with 256 ram.

This couple of weeks I´ve been seen that my cpu usage its most of the time at 100%. To open a program takes too much time, and sometimes the writing of my keyboard take a while to appear on the screen.

Firefox sometimes uses 130 or 140.000kb of the memory so the other programs begin to crash. When I close Firefox, everything seems to be back to normal.

Im glad I found a thread with this issue, because I was wondering what could it be.

Sorry for my english

Tom.
 
Back
Top