Firefox bookmarks being deleted?

ChingChang

Supreme [H]ardness
Just read this post on the front page:
http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTg1NDEsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

I hadn't even heard about this bug at all until I did a search. I guess I should be backing up my bookmarks then whenever I add a few. I don't really mind that though. I'm just wondering what causes this to happen?

also, when I backup my bookmarks I export them as a html file. bookmarks.html is the default name. Are firefox bookmarks just stored in one html file? I know IE used to just put them all in a folder as shortcuts to the websites.

Yeah just one file, bookmarks.html

I haven't had FF eat my bookmarks, and I've used it for the longest time (talking almost 3 years now). If this is happening from using Bon Echo, or whatever it's called, I'm gonna laugh. I used to use Burning Edge, and get nightly builds all the time, but lately it's been getting ridiculous, so I'm still on one of the official builds, 1.5.0.2

It's a bad bug, but I find it hard how someone could be 'seriously' effected by it. I've been using Firefox exclusively since Firebird days and havn't come accross it. Even if I had, I do backup my booksmarks weekly along with many other things, so I wouldn't have much to lose.

Someone in a situation where they really depend upon their bookmarks (heavily involved with research on the web or something) should probably be backing up their bookmarks relatively often no matter what browser they are using. It clearly becomes an important part of whatever it is their doing.

I guess it is a pain to hear things are being dropped from the release though. We can just hope this will be the first and only thing :)

Back