firefox and youtube videos

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but how do I get youtube videos to consistently work in FF? Some days they will play fine and other days they will load but not play. They work perfectly fine in IE7 ALL the time. I am on FF 3.0 but this has always been an issue for me no matter what FF version I am on.

As long as you have the correct Flash plugin loaded (Firefox requires it to be manually installed - the fact that you've been watching YouTube content in the first place means it was at least installed properly in the past), it should work all the time. The only thing that might be giving you fits would be something that blocks scripts, or perhaps something else related to blocking something related to playing the content.

I know that NoScript will block out YouTube content and requires two different domains be unblocked before Firefox will properly play those videos all the time. If you're using NoScript, or some other script blocking or script modifying tool (Greasemonkey, etc) one of those could perhaps be interfering with Firefox's ability to load the plugin and play the content.

you dont have torrent traffic running somewhere on your network do you?

No problems with youtube vids and FF 3.0 here.
Update your Flash player.

I think I know the issue.. they'll play for about 3 seconds, then stop? I get it on SeaMonkey (basically Firefox) myself. I've heard that the Flash Player 10 beta fixes the problem (although some people say it doesn't), but to install that you have to uninstall Flash Player 9 and I've not got round to it. I just use IE for the moment.

There's a very long thread on it here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=617400&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

No problems with youtube vids and FF 3.0 here.
Update your Flash player.
well it worked yesterday.lol. this happened all the time on my other versions of FF too and the flash player was always up to date.

I think I know the issue.. they'll play for about 3 seconds, then stop? I get it on SeaMonkey (basically Firefox) myself. I've heard that the Flash Player 10 beta fixes the problem (although some people say it doesn't), but to install that you have to uninstall Flash Player 9 and I've not got round to it. I just use IE for the moment.

There's a very long thread on it here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=617400&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
yes thats exactly what it does so I will check into that thread. thanks.

same here , fire fox 3.0 with (adblock , filter g updater ) no youtube problems at all

well after reading the FF forums and seeing how many months this has been going on I get the feeling this shit will never be fixed. uninstalling the plug in and reinstalling it will make it work for a little while but the issue always comes back. its ridiculous that they cant fix this. :mad:

Always nice to see a cut and paste response, cannondale06... or should I call you trek554. :D

I've been using FF3 since around January this year in alpha/beta form, and I've never encountered this "issue" not once across oh, maybe 750 installs (I'm a software tester as a hobby). It's amazing how it happens constantly for some, rarely for others, and absolutely never at all for even others. Weird...

Always nice to see a cut and paste response, cannondale06... or should I call you trek554. :D

I've been using FF3 since around January this year in alpha/beta form, and I've never encountered this "issue" not once across oh, maybe 750 installs (I'm a software tester as a hobby). It's amazing how it happens constantly for some, rarely for others, and absolutely never at all for even others. Weird...
well theres no need to completely reword something for a different forum is there? anyway it just happens out of the blue with any FF version on EVERY pc I have been on. very aggravating to say the least.

edit: the hardforums are intermittently slow today so it took me several attempts just to edit. anyway this is at least a temp fix http://www.yoism.org/?q=node/152#flash

I tried this fix http://www.yoism.org/?q=node/152#flash and it worked for a couple days and then right back to the same ole shit. the videos on several sites like youtube work for a day or two then stop. reinstalling flash will fix it for a couple days and then it goes right back to doing the same thing. its getting ridiculous and Flash 8 or 9 makes NO difference.

EDIT: Im now using Flash 10 beta and all is well for the time being. if it does it again with Flash player 10 then Im done with FF.

I think I know the issue.. they'll play for about 3 seconds, then stop? I get it on SeaMonkey (basically Firefox) myself.

I have had this problem too. Didn't test Flash 10 beta enough to see if that solved the issue, but I do remember reading somewhere that the problem was indeed with Adobe Flash, and not Firefox. Ironically, the last time I tested it, downgrading from Flash 9 to Flash 7 fixed the issue. :confused:

The FF/Youtube issue is not with FF, but with Flash. You need to download the Flash uninstaller from Adobe's site, and reinstall. Simply updating Flash does not seem to fix the issue correctly, it must be thoroughly removed and reinstalled.

The FF/Youtube issue is not with FF, but with Flash. You need to download the Flash uninstaller from Adobe's site, and reinstall. Simply updating Flash does not seem to fix the issue correctly, it must be thoroughly removed and reinstalled.
I use the Flash uninstaller and then reinstall but the problem always returns.

Well using the Flash 10 beta fixed the videos but now other things like Yahoo messenger smileys and Best Buy/Circuit City adds wont work with the new Flash. I have really about had it with this crap and will probably just go back to IE7 where everything works like its supposed to. Its amazing that for as long as FF has been out that they cant get one version of Flash to work 100% of the time. :mad:

Back