Firefox 58 Tab Crashing

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
Anyone else getting frequent tab crashes with Firefox 58 (Quantum)?

It happens on many popular sites like Reddit and Amazon. It's basically unusable now when seemingly any website can crash the tab.

I've disabled all add-ons and even removed them (in case remnants were still around) and it doesn't help. Disabling hardware acceleration doesn't help (though the crash logs show the AMD driver as the issue). Safe-mode *does* work without crashing on the same sites. I don't have this issue on Windows, only seems to happen on Linux.

I'm running an RX 580 w/ AMD Pro drivers on Ubuntu 16.04.

Do I just have to wait for another update or is there some way to fix this?

Last edited:
Hey I was having the same issues and managed to find a fix online. I have the same version of firefox and I'm also running amdgpu under ubuntu 16.04. I'm thinking it's just an issue between the amdgpu driver and firefox. The fix is to modify some config settings in firefox. In a new tab type about:config and hit enter. Accept the disclaimer that shows up about editing configs. Search for browser.tabs.remote.autostart and disable (toggle to false) both. Restart firefox and it should work. I've been able to replicate the issues by toggling back and forth. Good luck!

Back