firefox 4 beta appearance poll

Option 1 or Option 2?

• Option 1

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Option 2

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters
I switched to Opera when 10.50 was released, so I've grown to love the first option. I guess it has much to do with the more minimal look which I value.

I switched to Opera when 10.50 was released, so I've grown to love the first option. I guess it has much to do with the more minimal look which I value.

I'm in the option 1 group as well, I like the real-estate gained. Its a bit mind bending firefox has this big wasted space, unless it has a purpose i dont know of.

I too like the extra real-estate. What if there were an option to set it either way?

Since we're on the subject, I've been using Firefox 4 beta for the past couple weeks and really really like it. Holy crap is it fast.

Option 2 seems like a waste of space of that whole top bar showing nothing but a "Firefox" menu. I don't see the sense of doing that.

Maximized one; windowed two. I don't want to have to fuck around trying to find chrome to click on when I want to move the window. Because there's no moving the window when it's maximized, there's no sense in wasting chrome space.

In other words, Opera.

EDIT: By the way, you can achieve either by manipulating the chrome style sheet in FF4. Just so you know...

EDIT: By the way, you can achieve either by manipulating the chrome style sheet in FF4. Just so you know...

You don't even have to do that. There's an option in the menu under Customize that switches between the styles. It the "Tabs on Top" option.

At least in the 4.0b3pre.

You don't even have to do that. There's an option in the menu under Customize that switches between the styles. It the "Tabs on Top" option.

At least in the 4.0b3pre.

4.0b2 tabs on top is on by default, it appears as option 2 - option 1 was done in paint.

4.0b2 tabs on top is on by default, it appears as option 2 - option 1 was done in paint.

Didn't play real close attention before, but now I see that the big thing is where the Firefox menu was moved. Here's to hoping Mozilla "borrows" another feature/setting from Opera.

Didn't play real close attention before, but now I see that the big thing is where the Firefox menu was moved. Here's to hoping Mozilla "borrows" another feature/setting from Opera.

if people/companys didn't borrow ideas from other IPs we wouldn't have much of anything, eh?

if people/companys didn't borrow ideas from other IPs we wouldn't have much of anything, eh?

I have no problem with them taking ideas from other browsers, but it sucks that everyone focuses on Firefox and how it does all these things and forget that Opera pioneered a lot of it. I still can't figure out why it's usage is so low. Opera is the Rodney Dangerfield of browsers.

I have no problem with them taking ideas from other browsers, but it sucks that everyone focuses on Firefox and how it does all these things and forget that Opera pioneered a lot of it. I still can't figure out why it's usage is so low. Opera is the Rodney Dangerfield of browsers.

on that statement i'll download and switch to opera as a primary browser and report back to you via pm\

first impression: it looks like my paintshopped SS

Because it's not free.

Opera is completely free to home users, and makes it's money like Mozilla by signing a deal with Google to make it the default search engine. I'm not sure if they charge corporate users though.

Last edited:
mine was defaulted to bing

That's strange. I just un-installed and re-installed the 10.60 and a nightly build and both were set to Google. In fact, neither of them had Bing selectable, it had to be manually added. Even Opera Mini on my Blackberry uses only Google.

I like option 2, I need a top bar to be able to drag.

if they left a gap above the firefox menu button that'd take care of the issue you'd have.

having any gap at the top means i can't fling my cursor to the top and click on the tab i want, i have to aim using X and Y opposed to just X.

if they left a gap above the firefox menu button that'd take care of the issue you'd have.

having any gap at the top means i can't fling my cursor to the top and click on the tab i want, i have to aim using X and Y opposed to just X.

yeah but I think that's too small it's like trying to customize menu bar, you have to right click between the buttons to get the menu. It's not hard but its annoying.

It's not even a competition. Option 1 hands down. I've already modded Firefox 4.0b3 (portable) to look like that. I would go crazy looking at the wasted space otherwise.

If you want to mod the appearance, check out this link.

Option 1 wastes valuable and always-at-a-premium horizontal space for tabs, and looks like it'd make it difficult to move the window around. The amount of vertical space 'wasted' in option 2 looks to be about the minimum I'd want as a handle. So no. I do prefer the small icons mode though.

People still maximize their browsers? :eek:

yeah but I think that's too small it's like trying to customize menu bar, you have to right click between the buttons to get the menu. It's not hard but its annoying.
Pressing alt will snap down the menu bar. I think it's a reasonable compromise since I mostly use keyboard shortcuts and rarely touch the menu, and it does save some space and look neater. You can bring it back permanently if you want (View->Toolbars->Menu Bar).

620 views and 30~ votes, lame!

Just goes to show you that function rules over form... ;)

drdeutsch:

For some reason that "redesign" with the tabs on the title bar looks infinitely worse to me. :)

I can only imagine how horrible it'll get when Tab Mix Plus gets involved at some point with Firefox 4... looks like I'll be running 3.6.x for a very long time to come. :p

Just goes to show you that function rules over form... ;)

drdeutsch:

For some reason that "redesign" with the tabs on the title bar looks infinitely worse to me. :)

I can only imagine how horrible it'll get when Tab Mix Plus gets involved at some point with Firefox 4... looks like I'll be running 3.6.x for a very long time to come. :p

I already have Minefield Portable running with TMP (dev version) and the mod. I hadn't yet tried it out with multi-row, so I opened a bunch of tabs. There is a small problem.

LKhWH.jpg

There is room for one more tab over on the left. There is probably some CSS that could take care of that in the chrome file, but there is plenty of time to work on that before the final version is taken care of.

Again, it's personal. I can't stand the wasted space. Even on 3.6, I customize the layout and move the entire "navigation bar" to the "menu bar. Then I also have the bookmarks toolbar. It's a clean, simple layout. No wasted space, and still plenty of room for me to efficiently utilize everything.

edit: Here's what my 3.6 looks like:

ICfFR.jpg

The title bar has a lot of extra space, but not much I can do about that. The Menu bar's extra space is filled up by the navigation tools, and the bookmarks toolbar is the only other thing I need.

Last edited:
Yah, I got mine like this:

On yours I consider the Menu Bar and the navigation buttons to be 100% wasted space - they would be the very first things 'to go' on a clean installation of Firefox but I haven't done that in close to 2 years now. :D I use the same "Firefox" folder on 3 computers and 2 laptops so, it's the same on all of them and synced twice a day.

I use All In One Gestures and have about 45 different gestures set up to do pretty much anything I can imagine with a simple click or wave of the mouse, and that includes navigation obviously. The Menu Bar doesn't need to be visible 24/7 so that's just a tap of Alt away.

Everybody's different... :D

I could probably do away with the navigation as well. I use rocker gestures, not mouse gestures. I rarely, if ever, use the forward and back buttons. I might consider getting into more mouse gestures and getting rid of the navigation once FF 4 Final is out. I love the bookmarks toolbar, though. I have having to wade through the bookmarks menu to get to my favorites. Perhaps there is a more elegant solution to free up more space, but this works for me.

I do like your minimal layout, although our layouts consume the same space. We both have 2 toolbars - I have the menu/navigation and bookmarks. You have the URL bar and quick links.

Rockers = mouse gestures, it's all in the same category. I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (the nice plain white one with the silver side buttons) and I can either use those for Back/Forward action or press Right and slide left for Back, press Right and slide right for Forward, basically at least 3 ways to do most anything to be honest.

Bookmarks? Up-Down-Right. Menu Bar? Tap Alt. New browser window? Hold Right slide down. New tab? Hold Right slide up, etc etc. Close a tab? Wheelclick it. Open link in new tab? Wheelclick that too... and so on.

It seems tough to grasp for many folks but, once you do commit to learning the gestures it's a no-brainer. My Wife watches me using Firefox and she's constantly amazed: "How did you just open a new tab, I have to <do whatever she does>" and whenever I try to teach her about gestures she just can't get a hold of it.

Hell, I still can't get her to use Alt+Tab to switch applications either, and that is the true King of keyboard shortcuts in Windows, always has been in my opinion.

And yeah, I've seen people with even more minimal layouts, and I could technically add the tabs to the left side of the space under the Address Bar and lock my Bookmarks Toolbar to the far right side and then only have 2 bars but, this works exactly as well as I require it to work. I had someone complain to me once that the Status bar was unnecessary (his opinion) and I simply said "Fine for you, but I prefer it being there so I can see what's going on" and that was that.

I know Chrome/Opera typically hides the content until it's necessarily visible and then hides it again but, I just prefer it visible at all times. I keep my Taskbar in Windows 7 on the left side of the screen, always, so I don't have issues with top/bottom screen height as well.

Also, I don't run my browser full screen, even on my laptop with a 1280x800 screen resolution. Normally I keep it at about 1050 wide with about 700 pixel height which I eyeball, and towards the right side of the screen - again, the Taskbar takes up the left side. I can't stand running a browser full screen when 90%+ of the content on the Internet these days is coded either for center-column format (about 800-1000 pixels wide) or left-justified - talk about a waste of space. :D

I absolutely abhor situations where you'll see someone with a 1920x1200 resolution running their browser full screen and the actual content they're looking at is one tiny column shifted to the full left side and there's like 75% empty screen space just sitting there... geez. :p

#1 and it's not even close. I've been running Opera forever and it's been like that for a bit. By the way I just installed 10.60 from a fresh install of Windows and it does default to Bing, not Google.

While we talk about Firefox layouts, I do basically this (on a crappy work machine):

24040713.png

I like having the navigation controls because they don't take up much space that I could use another way, and the 'history' forward/back comes in fairly handy. For virtually everything else I use keyboard shortcuts or the mouse navigation buttons. Mostly the keyboard though, I avoid the mouse as much as possible, so gestures aren't very useful to me. The only real space 'improvement' I'd consider would be moving the location and search bars to the title bar area, but I think that would look crap and there's still the 'grab chrome to move the window' problem. Pop out scrollbars maybe.

The one and only reason I don't use Chrome is because it lacks a title bar. I cannot live without it since it displays the full name of the page I'm browsing, which is essential for browsing forums such as this one.

Yeah Nuker, that is an annoyance. I realize why they did it, but I have 1600 vertical so I'm willing to give up a few lines of pixels for a title bar. Better would be to have the title bar with an option to hide it so that it looks like default Chrome.

I installed 4.0b3 yesterday, I don't like anything about it, TBH with you. The Firefox button is annoying and there's no way to get rid of it that I can see...talk about wasted space. Since they're clearly trying to copy Chrome with tabs on top I went ahead and switched back to Chrome (again).

Back