FireFox 3.5 Popup Blocker broken?

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Anyone else having issues with FireFox 3.5 forgetting it's popup blocker allow list?

I work in an oracle based system all day long, and all popups from it are allowed. A few times a day, FireFox 3.5 seems to 'forget' that the site is allowed, and starts blocking the popups even though the full site is listed as allowed.

The only way to restore it is to close firefox out completely and restart it.

BTW... If you are in a site and when you click on a link, nothing happens, you may have the same issue going on but you have the popup alerts turned off. It took me forever to track this down because of this.

doesn't look like it. you do have the option to just look at it. right click scroll to the 3rd or 4th option.

yeah the allowing thing doesn't seem to work :/ <<<< what a contradiction

Some popups are not blocked by Firefox popup blocker. It's rare but it does let a few slip by every once in awhile. As for the ones I have allowed, I just go into the options and 'always allow' from this website and have never had issues with it forgetting.

The pop ups may be coming from a 3rd party source that keeps changing.

I dont really like the built in one, never have. Blocks too much good stuff (order checkouts, etc.) that cannot always be easily gotten back and that you dont use enough to necessarily remember to whitelist it before using it.

The one with google toolbar is much better IMO.

Whatever happened to the patch for FF 3.5 that was supposed to be released July 7th? There was never any patch released and there are plenty of issues with 3.5. Sometimes it opens web pages I was last at instead of my home page. Never has any browser I ever used done that. Plain and simple; 3.5 was not any where near ready for prime time.

yep and solely there isn't going to be a new build for a while. i could be wrong XD

Yes, that does not appear to be working, as someone else also noted.

Some popups are not blocked by Firefox popup blocker. It's rare but it does let a few slip by every once in awhile. As for the ones I have allowed, I just go into the options and 'always allow' from this website and have never had issues with it forgetting.

The pop ups may be coming from a 3rd party source that keeps changing.

A patch came out today. We'll have to see if it corrects the blocker issues...

It didn't fix it.

I have pulled out all extensions except for forcastfox and adblockplus.

If it starts again, I'll pull those two.

Update.

Now operating with ZERO extensions. The problem still exists.

There is something definitely screwed with the Popup Blocking system in FF 3.5.

I'm going to try one more thing. I'm going to completely scrub it from my machine and try reinstalling it clean. Again.

After that, I got nowhere else to go with this one :)

Completely removed and scrubbed FF 3.5.1 from the system yesterday.

Started up at 8am this morning. At 2:26pm the Popup Blocker broke again, and forgot all the exceptions that were listed (and still listed) in the options.

This can't be anything but a bug in FF 3.5.

I may have to go back to 3.0 until they fix this.

Ok, there is definitely a bug here. I'm suspecting a memory leak.

Fresh install of Windows 7 RTM. Fresh install of FireFox 3.5.2. NO extensions installed, factory settings.

Anywhere between 2 and 6 hours of use and FF 3.5 will 'forget' it's popup blocker allow list, and start blocking windows that you use all day that pop up from their main sites. Even using the allow choice will not load it.

Quitting and restarting FF 3.5 will fix it, for another 2-6 hours. It will always end up failing again.

I've gone back to 3.1.13. Again :(

No issues there.

I teach online math courses. Since I updated Firefox a couple of days ago, I have been having problems with pop-ups from allowed sites. When I open emails (pop-ups), they work fine for about 25 emails, but then Firefox will not open any more to open, Techlarry - if you hear about a solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Ok, I found the problem on my end. It's RoboForm :(

If it's not loaded, the problem doesn't occur.

Unfortunately I already have the latest version.

I just received the following from RoboForm:

Please do the following:
Click RoboForm2Go>Options>Login Browser
If Pop-up Blocker is active is checked,uncheck it
If pop-up blcoker is activae is unchecked,check it
Click ok

I have done so and testing now.

Ok, the first part of their suggestion didn't work. I'm trying the second part now.

Part 1
Click RoboForm2Go>Options>Login Browser
If Pop-up Blocker is active is checked,uncheck it
If pop-up blcoker is activae is unchecked,check it
Click ok

Part 2
If issue remains unresolved,please download frozen adapter for FireFox at this link:
http://www.roboform.com/browsers.html#browser_mozilla

So far, none of this is working. I just posted this in their support system (which is actually pretty good so far).

Back