Firefox 3.5 now the most used web browser

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
What's that sound? It's the sound of Steve Ballmer throwing chairs across the boardroom, because for the first time ever, somebody else's web browser is being used more than any other web browser:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-weekly-200827-200951

Yeah, yeah, I know... don't pay attention to what IE8 is doing, nothing to see there. As penance for this post, today I will be helping an 88-year-old use IE5 on their Win NT 2000 laptop.

Good! force web dev's to follow internet standard rather then IE standard...

about bloody time

I'd read the article before making those comments...

I'd be more interested in Firefox vs IE, not Firefox 3.5 vs IE 7 (and only IE 7). If you add up the total percentage they give for all versions of IE it's way more than Firefox 3.5. And I don't think they mention any other version of firefox than 3.5.

Well I think it's great how FF has competed against a browser that comes bundled with the OS, but IE 6 + 7 + 8 > anything else. Microsoft still dominates the market. Most users use what they got with their computer and don't even know to upgrade so that's why the IE market is still so spread out.

That report is disputable. Using the "usual" leader in share (MarketShare), their results are different:
4210513379_a6962c6476_o.jpg

I'd be more interested in Firefox vs IE, not Firefox 3.5 vs IE 7 (and only IE 7). If you add up the total percentage they give for all versions of IE it's way more than Firefox 3.5. And I don't think they mention any other version of firefox than 3.5.

Your wish is my command. Here's the graphic of all versions of browser share from the same company the OP linked.
And yes, IE is still kicking FF's ass, regardless of anything these sensationalist articles lead you to believe.

IE: 64%
FF:25%
4210508131_4344db72f4_o.jpg

Exactly...this article is spreading around the internet like wildfire with most people missing the actual statistics. The statistics are not counting IE 5, 6, and 8...which combined with IE7, still add up to over 50%.

Like people mentioned above when you combine all the versions of IE it is still the most used web browser. I personally haven't used IE as my main browser for about the past five years...Firefox for me. As for the people still using IE6, wake the F up.

If Firefox shipped with the OS, FF would be spread out over 1.5, 2, 2.5 3, 3.5 etc, just like IE. People who download the browser are savy enough to understand 'upgrading' to the newer browser rather than continue using something outdated like IE6 and 7 users are doing.

That graph is deceptive in that IE7 and IE8 almost double the value of Firefox. In fact, IE6 which released over 8 years ago, is only 5% behind. Firefox isn't a bad browser, but Microsoft's Internet Explorer still owns the vast majority of web users and will continue to be the largest driving force behind web development.

Back