• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Firefox 3.1 and tabs

Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
37
So, at work i use firefox 3.1 (among others) and typically have about 5 tabs open at any one time (switching between live and unpublished versions of my website and such). I find that the firefox tabs, if you click on them and drag them slightly off of the tab bar, will open a new firefox window. This is horribly annoying for me as my mouse at work tends to jump very slightly. So, almost every time i click on a tab, it opens in a new window.

Any help in locking these tabs somehow would be greatly appreciated.
 
Might consider getting a better mouse, perhaps. Sorry, but it's the best course of action. I just tried the option to Lock Tab using Tab Mix Plus (highly recommended, btw) but it still won't "lock" a tab from being dragged around - that functionality is a part of Firefox itself now and I can't say if it can be disabled completely or not. "Tab tearing" is the apparent name for it as you 'tear' a tab off the Tab bar and drop it someplace...

Doing a cursory search of the Mozilla forums didn't turn up much (can't stand their forum software and the search is even worse), soooo... maybe someone else can help in some way.
 
The tab tearing is the 1 single reason why I uninstalled FF3.1 and went back to 3.0.2. It's incredibly annoying and I hope they either fix it or add a way to disable it.
 
You people really have that much of a problem with being able to click your mouse button precisely when and where you're supposed to? That's a new one on me, I guess... the only time I move tabs at all is when I open Gmail, and I do that so it's to the leftmost side of the browser to make it easier to get back to if I see it alter and show something in the Inbox.

Just... wow... perhaps changing some properties for your mice might help some of you, like altering the click speed or whatever, but... I use Tab Mix Plus, perhaps that makes a difference. But so far, using Firefox 3 since alpha 2, I can't recall a single instance of me dragging a tab or "tearing" it accidentally.

How very interesting...
 
Yeah, I have a problem that when if my mouse moves at the time I click, it opens a new window even though the tab was dragged .01 cm. I don't move the mouse, stop moving it, click, ensure that I don't move the mouse at all until I let up, then move away. :rolleyes:
 
Sounds like a defective mouse to me, not a defective browser. :p
When you click and the button is held for longer than a split second at the same time you slightly move it and it tears a tab out. You know, when people have several tabs open and are quickly clicking between them. :rolleyes:

I know your such a genius but even the great one such as yourself should be able to at least fathom a remote possibility of this happening to people instead of being so arrogant. You must be really good controlling the mouse so it must not happen to you, but considering you come from the dimension where XP x64 is the greatest thing since slice bread, maybe things work differently there. Does your mouse also fall up when you let go?
 
I know you're such a genius but even the great one such as yourself should be able to at least fathom a remote possibility of this happening to people instead of being so arrogant.

Fixed that for ya...

I liken such mistakes to people that use UNIX for the first time and almost end up tearing their eyes out when they can't stand the fact that it's case sensitive, to the point of absolute frustration. It's a simple mistake, I get that, I do. But people point out such "things" and suddenly it begins to sound like bitching moaning and whining to me instead of "hey, maybe I just need to be a bit more precise in what I'm doing."

I doubt the overwhelming majority of the people using Firefox 3.1 at this point - most especially the coders bringing it to fruition - would consider this a big issue. It's no different from making a typo when you're typing too fast to be accurate, that's all.

Slow down a bit... it'll help. :D

And if I told you I have one of the those "air mice" that uses a Gyroscope for control in mid-air... what then? More sarcasm? :p

(just for the record: I do have one, actually, but I can't stand the f00kin' thing so it's never been used for any given length of time. Was in a box of computer parts I got at an estate sale...)
 
The tab tearing is the 1 single reason why I uninstalled FF3.1 and went back to 3.0.2. It's incredibly annoying and I hope they either fix it or add a way to disable it.
QFT.

I'm sticking with FF 3.0.5 for now and won't try 3.1 yet.
 
Back
Top