Fired For Facebook Picture

She broke all sorts of rules. I'm not sure how she even thought she could get away with it.

- Children's privacy violated by posting their pictures on the internet? Check.
- Posting pictures of children without their parents consent? Check.
- Child(ren) endangerment putting duct tape over their mouth? Check.

and before anyone rips me about the last part, yes I know the article said the children did it to themselves. She should have told them to please take it off their mouth as it could do harm, not encourage them.

As a father of two young children.

You don't punish the majority for the problems of an extreme minority. That is nothing more than over reactionary bullshit state lawyers and state and federal lawmakers are forcing schools to use these days. People aren't going to stop living in fear if stupid crap like this doesn't stop getting shoved in their faces. Intelligent people would be coming up with methods to handle individual cases, not throwing schools into martial law lock downs. This kind of crap is the crutch of the people who live their lives cowering in fear at every little thing.

FYP, and get a clue. Blame the federal government for FERPA, not the school systems that abide by it so they get the funding they need to stay open. The same public that complains about school policies keeps re-electing the people who come up with this stuff.

I fight my child's school constantly over insane crap like this. The amount of complete bullshit I have to put up with out of them is insane. Our parents never had to put up with this level of insanity and neither should we.

So asking you to sign a media release is insane crap?

and before anyone rips me about the last part, yes I know the article said the children did it to themselves. She should have told them to please take it off their mouth as it could do harm, not encourage them.

I'm pretty sure my government told me that duct tape saves you from chemical attacks, not harms you.

I find the idea of the photo amusing. I don't think a teacher should be posting pictures of their students taken in the classroom on their Facebook page. The privacy issue is the only real issue I see, but I'm not sure it's the main reason the school board and parents are upset. Some people don't have a sense of humor, or are simply looking for a reason to be pissed off.
In any case I don't think she should be fired over this. If she has a long history of questionable decisions, and this is the final straw, then maybe it is appropriate, but this isn't a serious enough error by itself to justify firing her.

I'm pretty sure my government told me that duct tape saves you from chemical attacks, not harms you.

No no no no. You're supposed to put Lysol on a handkerchief and then duct tape it to your mouth. Keeps you from breathing in anthrax.

FYP, and get a clue. Blame the federal government for FERPA, not the school systems that abide by it so they get the funding they need to stay open. The same public that complains about school policies keeps re-electing the people who come up with this stuff.

Don't worry, I am not part of the problem electing the same idiots into office over and over expecting different results. However most of the stuff isn't related to federal policy and is just crap school boards have come up with to make parents believe they are doing something useful.

So asking you to sign a media release is insane crap?

Yes, it shouldn't even be a question in the first place. As I said, the problems of an extreme minority aren't the problems of everyone. Deal with those kids on a case by case basis, the teacher should be aware of any of those issues in their specific class and be able to react accordingly. However it does not and should require policy that affects every student.

Actually, in my state of Indiana, the public has had it with the BS of Tony Bennett destroying Public education, so we voted for Glenda Ritz as state Superintendent of Education. More Hoosiers voted for Ritz than Gov. Mike Pence (who narrowly lost to John Gregg).

Since Pence's (and former Gov. Mitch Daniel) henchman Tony Bennett lost, Pence's first act was to limit Glenda Ritz's powers and remove laws that require 4 licensed educators on the state board of education, and he also removed the law that required an equal split of Democrat and Republicans on the board so he can put all of his Republican cronies in power.

The people voted for Ritz - more so than Pence - but there's not a damn thing she can do to get Indiana's public education back on track.

Yes, it was Indiana's fault for voting for Pence. But at least we voted for a real teacher to be Superintendent of Public Education and I hope she can somehow do better than Bennett despite Pence's effort to remove her power.

Anyone bother to read the article?

The teach DID NOT apply duck tape to the kids mouths.

There was a quasi legitimate reason for the kids to have the duck tape, and duck tape is hardly a weapon of mass destruction.

The children put the duck tape ON THEMSELVES.

The teacher saw it, thought it was funny, and posted it on facebook.

The board DOES NOT care about the duck tape, they care that she posted pictures of children online without consent.

Stop saying "duck" tape.

Stop saying "duck" tape.
There is no unanimous consensus on the proper name for that type of tape.

It was originally dubbed duck tape because of its original use as a waterproof tape for use by the military. It wasn't adopted for civilian use until later for sealing ducts, where the term "duck tape" ended up being assumed by many to be "duct tape" since the pronunciation is the same and it was used for ducts.

I prefer duck tape because it is the original name and it makes more sense in modern usage since very few of us actually use it to seal ducts anymore.

Cliffs Notes: I'm right, and when I'm right I'm right, and I'm always right.

There is no unanimous consensus on the proper name for that type of tape.

It was originally dubbed duck tape because of its original use as a waterproof tape for use by the military. It wasn't adopted for civilian use until later for sealing ducts, where the term "duck tape" ended up being assumed by many to be "duct tape" since the pronunciation is the same and it was used for ducts.

I prefer duck tape because it is the original name and it makes more sense in modern usage since very few of us actually use it to seal ducts anymore.

Cliffs Notes: I'm right, and when I'm right I'm right, and I'm always right.

except when you're wrong? ;-)

And preemptively for those that claim BS: http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK.

During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.”

Therefore, either name is appropriate.

Grind 'em duckies up 'n make some paste.

Besides, now I have this image of someone yelling "DUCK Tape" ... and as the GHOLA turns to correct the incorrect usage of the name he gets hit in the forehead with a large roll of tape and knocked unconscious :p

I don't care if it's acceptable or not, I'm just banning you from using that name.

Facebook, good for only two things: identifying criminals and determining what is socially unacceptable.

Good. She should get fired. You don't just wake up one day and decide to become a 7th grade teacher... it requires training, education, planning etc etc. She decided for herself to pursue a vocation that has gone batshit. If you want to be a teacher, especially, a 7-12 teacher, you have to know what you are walking into and decide if the risk of being fired at any moment over some silly shit and having to change careers over insane administrators or snowflake having parents is worth it.

I think we should railroad more teachers this way. Are you a teacher and you post or someone digs up a facebook pic from 10 years ago of you holding a beer in college: That's a firing. Tweet some snide remark: That's a firing. Give a student advice that isn't of an academic nature: That's a firing.

Really crack down on that profession so that only the dregs of society, martyrs and child molesters want to work in our schools. Then when they ask why our kids are so stupid, you can reply, "I done ah, owww my bawls is on."

You don't need any of this shit to get teachers. The public is already doing as much by consolidating class rooms, requiring impossible educational standards on kids whose parents want to do nothing and finally reducing benefits or pay for teachers.

Oh and teachers are taking in more debt from college for a profession that maybe tops out at an avg. 55k over 20 years and they have to deal with close to 20 percent unemployment in the field.

Any teacher worth their salt left the public space years ago to do sales/training or something else.

You don't need any of this shit to get teachers. The public is already doing as much by consolidating class rooms, requiring impossible educational standards on kids whose parents want to do nothing and finally reducing benefits or pay for teachers.

Oh and teachers are taking in more debt from college for a profession that maybe tops out at an avg. 55k over 20 years and they have to deal with close to 20 percent unemployment in the field.

Any teacher worth their salt left the public space years ago to do sales/training or something else.

I also love the idea that metrics of performance will be tied to pay. Because nothing says education like sticking all the poor preforming kids in their own special "class" or giving them the answers to bump up your numbers.

A good friend of mine, finally got out of his 8th grade teaching gig after a few years of banging his head against the wall and is all the better for it. He was good too, well liked and won some teaching awards. He hated to go but after seeing the guano on the wall, he left to become a corporate trainer. They occasionally call him to see if he wants to come back and he just laughs and declines politely because yeah that's going to happen: High pay and good security vs low pay and no security.

Stop saying "duck" tape.

I thought I was the only one...

6809567-group-of-mallard-ducks-quacking.jpg

I also love the idea that metrics of performance will be tied to pay. Because nothing says education like sticking all the poor preforming kids in their own special "class" or giving them the answers to bump up your numbers.

A good friend of mine, finally got out of his 8th grade teaching gig after a few years of banging his head against the wall and is all the better for it. He was good too, well liked and won some teaching awards. He hated to go but after seeing the guano on the wall, he left to become a corporate trainer. They occasionally call him to see if he wants to come back and he just laughs and declines politely because yeah that's going to happen: High pay and good security vs low pay and no security.

Teachers have security if they have a job, that is why shitty ones are never forced out. But the pay for performance metric doesn't work either.

"Why was there duct tape in the classroom? How did they [the students] come to have access to it," said Haas. "We'll have these answers to these questions later."

LMAO.

It's called duck tape, "duct" tape is a completely different product these days.
Yup! That is why I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense to use the original "duck" tape name, as its still a fantastic waterproof multi-purpose tape. And that is how its used these days, my new home construction actually includes duck tape to hold on the insulation for some of my exterior pipes. Its been 2.5 years and the black duck tape has still held the insulation on just fine.

Duck tape is NOT however used for ducts. In fact, the California Consumer Energy Center specifically warns people not to use duck/duct tape on ducts and basically considers the informal name "duct tape" a misnomer.
Over a three-month period in 1998, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) researchers tested duct tape and 31 other sealants under accelerated laboratory conditions that mimicked long-term use in the home. Of all the things they tested, only duct tape failed - and they reported it failed reliably and often quite catastrophically. The problem...duct tape does not adequately seal the joints and has a short lifespan.

Why then isn't everyone using the original name duck tape instead of duct tape, knowing what we know now, well because some douchebag patented the name "duck tape". Duck tape is now a brand, and so other manufacturers have to continue to call their duck tape "duct tape" in the description. This is a disservice to consumers, popularizing a name for a product for which it is poorly suited, over the original name for which it was originally CREATED and works brilliantly as even today.

"Why was there duct tape in the classroom? How did they [the students] come to have access to it," said Haas. "We'll have these answers to these questions later."

LMAO.

Perhaps a student brought it from home to show another student because they thought it would be cool. The only way to save our children from the duct tape is with stricter federal duct tape control or by taping up the duct tape with more duct tape.

Teachers have security if they have a job, that is why shitty ones are never forced out. But the pay for performance metric doesn't work either.

Job security is a misconception when you are a school teacher. It's a mistake to think that the shitty ones are never forced out because the school CAN'T get rid of them either due to unions or other contributing factors. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to: Shitty teachers know they are shitty so they are easily controlled, tow the line and do what they are told. You actually have more job security if you are shitty than if you excel because if you stand out you come under heavy scrutiny by the other teachers/parents/administrators and their is always someone waiting in the wings to Cardinal Richelieu yo ass.

Teaching primary school is today's factory worker. Follow these arbitrary rules, punch this lever, fill these dots, feed the gaping maw, don't step out, strength is ignorance blah blah blah. Just pump out those little consumers...

Back