Fios Quantum vs TWC Wideband

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I have a question for you. Right now I have TWC wideband service which I pay a fat hundred dollars a month for. Fios Quantum is now available in my building. I can get a faster connection for about 10 dollars less a month, or an even faster for about the same I'm paying now. Question.....is Fios as reliable as my cable connection? For what its worth I have never had an outage or problem with my service on TWC, but I know no one who has the Fios service to ask/compare. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

I had FiOS from 2005-2006 and now again from 2009-present (I chose my new apartment based on having FiOS availability). Never a single outage due to the ISP (but had a bad router once). Download speeds are generally 5Mbit faster than advertised, and the upload speeds really can't be matched by anyone else. No caps. It's a no brainer in my opinion - FiOS all the way.

Just upgraded from 35/35 to 75/35 - won't be able to test it until I get home Friday :D. My 35/35 ran consistently at 43/35 speeds though.

I wish I had FiOS here but I got crappy Rural Telco FTTH with speeds of 7/7 but we also got TWC with Wideband here of 30/5 and 50/5 reason why I havent switched to TWC wideband is they dont give static IP's to residential accounts like my crappy Rural Telco FTTH does.

You'd be a retard to stick with TWC. Just IMO of course.

This. Honest to god , to choose cable over FiOS would be insanity.

FiOS is faster , more consistent and MUCH more reliable than your TWC connection or any cable connection period.

There are no data caps and likely won't ever be I just can't imagine a solid reason to stick with TWC who will be imposing data caps really soon again.

Want more proof? Check out www.dslreports.com and go to the forums. Compare Verizon's Fiber Optic forum in terms of complaints and issues versus TWC's , not even a fraction as many issues if you compared the amounts generated by users. That should tell you something.

If you have the ability to get FiOS than stop reading this topic and start the process. Trust me , you won't be sorry.

Last edited:
FiOS all the way, the uptime alone is crazy. I NEVER have an issue with TV, Internet, or Phone unless I take the firewall down.

Just make sure you put a decent firewall/router in front of the connection, the one they provide is okay if you dont use it for wireless but a home built astaro, checkpoint, pfsense would do great. Personally I run the Home Edition of the Astaro firewall.

fiosuptime.PNG

I really wish I had FiOS here. :(

I've got 50/5 from TWC for $99/mo. Heck I wish I could get Grande Cable here, for $10/mo more I could get 110/5, which would bad-fucking-ass. But my neighborhood is not covered by them yet. :(

I'd so have FiOS if that shit was available here. I'd take the 150/65 plan for $5/mo less than what I'm paying for fucking sure!

Looking to get FiOS at my new place. Anyone been able to get a better deal on pricing by calling instead of ordering it online?

I would call. they seem to be a little more flexible.

We have a 50/5 connection here in our office, being replaced soon with a 40mbps fiber line at a cost of 1200/month. If we had fios that would be around $400 for business.

I would call. they seem to be a little more flexible.

We have a 50/5 connection here in our office, being replaced soon with a 40mbps fiber line at a cost of 1200/month. If we had fios that would be around $400 for business.

I have the 75/35 connection for only an extra $15 from the 15/5 online, but hoping to get a better deal on the TV. Thanks for the information.

I would drop TWC the SECOND fios was available here. I have the 30/5 and it's as flakey as ever. I hate giving TWC any of my money as well.

OP:

For the $100/month, that sounds like TWC's 50/5 service, right? You do know that after the initial 12 months the price will slowly start to climb to its actual price...which I don't know offhand.

I live in an area where my only 2 options for broadband are at&t u-verse or twc cable. Both choices suck but cable is the better option since dsl really has no future in the broadband world. I will give the cable companies credit though, docsis 3.0 is really beginning to demonstrate just how robust coax can be....I'm sure there are plenty of others who disagree with me but so far I've had no complaints with my service.

Now in light of everything I just said, if tomorrow Fios were available to me, I'd switch immediately. The future of almost all network communications is going to be fiber optic cable, period. I don't know what the upper limits of coax cable are in terms of bandwidth, don't know if they've even been found yet. But cable companies are trying to stay competitive because they don't want to have to replace the copper infrastructure they've already built out. I can understand...it's going to be expensive for them. But that's the future, plain and simple. AT&T can't face the facts that those pieces of garbage 2 copper wires aren't going to cut it anymore.

The hundred dollar a month plan is for 150/65....a BIG difference. If you sign a two year contract the price stays the same for two years, then changes.

Ok. Thanks. I just signed up the the 89 dollar package. 75/35. It's almost a month wait for the install though. Oh well.

Back