fios qos settings

syn3rgyz

Gawd
I have an asus RT-N12 router running dd-wrt running as the primary router, bridged to the actiontec router.
Recently I have noticed unstable speeds. Especially when I play counter strike, the ping would jump from 50-400 constantly. When someone in the house has torrents on even when the download and upload is limited to 10kbps the ping gets worse.

I've tried turning qos on and off and my ingame lag for all games are still pretty bad, all turning off qos does is speed up my torrent download speeds and slow down my webbrowsing speed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose what the problem is and how to fix it?
I've tried playing around with qos turning on and off and changing priorities.

We are all using wires btw

Last edited:
Sounds like verizon is throttling P2P (which is funny cus they claimed they would never do that).

im downloading at 1.8mbps though its just my games lag even if i tune down the speed

well I would do a tracert to various sites to see if the lag spike occurs at a specific hop, then go from there.

Highly doubt it is throttling on the isp side. Have you restarted the rt-n12 and the actiontech recently? The older actiontech's have a few issues with high connection counts but otherwise they "work"

^ i've tried that yesterday still doesnt work

my roomate just left his torrent at 5kbps and it still gives me constant 150 ping

i told him to stop is torrent and my ping instantly went down to 20 but still getting lots of choke on the net graph

*edit
think i narrowed down the problem a bit, i asked him to stop his torrents totally then proceeded to download torrents on my desktop and macbook at 500 download and 120 upload. My pings still fine in cs. So i assume it has to be my roomates torrents settings. But he has already limited connections to 100 and upload speed to like 5kbps what else could be causing it?

Last edited:
When torrenting what does the load on the router look like? Are you using excessive memory or CPU?

Do you have FiOS TV as well as internet or just the internet? If its only internet call verizon and have them activate the Ethernet drop on the ONT, get rid of the actiontec and see if that helps. Alternatively if you do have TV service you do need the actiontec for MOCA so you could try plugging directly to that and eliminate the ASUS to see if the ASUS is somehow the issue.

My money is still on its an ISP or actiontec issue.

i dont have fios tv, but if i do switch to ethernet does the tech have to come in and pull the cable?? cause i dont see anyplace where i can put in an ethernet cable

i dont have fios tv, but if i do switch to ethernet does the tech have to come in and pull the cable?? cause i dont see anyplace where i can put in an ethernet cable

There should be a cream colored box where the fiber terminates (or at least mine was). If you pull the cover off inside next to the coax termination there is an ethernet drop.

oh darn i dont know how the hell i'm going to pull an ethernet cable from there all the way to where my router is right now. That cream colored box is sitting in a closet by the front door where we put our coats, and our rooms are like at the rear of the house.

Back