finishing watercooling install....have question

im finishing my watercooling install with a kingwin awc-1. i need to power the machine up so i can pump all the bubbles out, but the only way to do this is put the processor on. will my processor be okay with no cooling system on it if its on for a couple of minutes? i dont want to harm anything. is there a way to power up the machine without needing the processor in place? THANKS!!!!

NO!!! NO NO NO DO NOT DO THAT BAD VERY BAD

pull out all the power connectors from the mobo and on the large connector take a paper clip and put it from the green pin to any of the back pins

Definitely a stupid idea, but I remember reading somewhere that a watercooling rig will last MUCH longer if the pump/fan gives out than an aircooled, something like a minute or two. Now if only I remembered the source...

The paperclip trick is standard here, of course.

once the waterblock is filled with water you have some time before it starts to go "meltdown"
on my maze 4 i can go about 3 minutes without the pump or fans on. thats at load and OCed

2500+ (barton) @ 2300mhz 1.9v

FLECOM said:
pull out all the power connectors from the mobo and on the large connector take a paper clip and put it from the green pin to any of the back pins
What do you mean by back pins?

yeah, i let it turn on with no heat sink or anything (stupid me)....and it shut off after about 30 seconds ( i guess it went into protect mode?)....well, watercool system is installed now, and it works great. im new to this stuff, im not overclocking or anything, i dropped from 34deg to 21 at the lowest with all the fans cranked up.

rangerboy02fx4 said:
yeah, i let it turn on with no heat sink or anything (stupid me)....and it shut off after about 30 seconds ( i guess it went into protect mode?)...

After you had been advised against it? Consider yourself lucky it didn't go into "fried cpu mode".

Ok, you want to connect pin 4 to pin 6 on the PSU plug.

This product will also do the trick

Looks like this:
cab-21.jpg

And looks like this when plugged in:
cab-21_2.jpg

It's pretty easy and could probably be done with a paper clip (but I don't use that).

Instructions from Koolance.com for the exos (but would work on any setup) would also show you how to do it.

bubblethumper said:
And looks like this when plugged in:
cab-21_2.jpg

It's pretty easy and could probably be done with a paper clip (but I don't use that).

Instructions from Koolance.com for the exos (but would work on any setup) would also show you how to do it.

Paperclip trick is just as safe if you connect the right pins, as no power travels through the proper pins. Easy way i use to remember if the little clip on the 20pin connector is facing up I usually use the 4th and 6th pin

i always connect the green and the black pin nearest the green. probably comes out to the 4th and 6th. oh, i use a paperclip for that.

I actually did this very trick this morning when I hooked up my Thermaltake BigWater setup (don't make fun of me its my first setup :p) Paperclip worked fine.

Back