• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Finish Building! more questions!

Davmx

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2003
Messages
202
I finish building my rig today ! (specs below)

But when I built , i check my cpu temp and it was 50-53 C IDE!!

Is that normal? I have a SP94 and a Vantec Stealth. I plug the Power to the CPU fan spot on my Motherboard. Does it automatically Adjust my RPM for the Vantec?

Maybe I could put the fan indirectly?

I did switch them but I couldnt tell the difference if it was on backward or not....

can you guys tell me if the difference between backward or not on the fan without feelin the air...

I hope the motherboard auto adjust my fan... I dont know... help me :)
 
Most fans will have a head on the connector that prevents it from being hooked up backwards. Those temps are a bit high for your setup. Check the fan RPM in the BIOS and see what it's registering, it may be auto adjusting it too slow.
 
the fan blows air ONTO the heatsink. just put ur hand there and feel for air blowing onto ur palm, you can tell the diff which way its pointing.

even if its a crap OEM fan like in a PSU
 
well, the thermal Paste was very "thinly" distributed across the entire CPU and some were on the Heatsink. I think the last time I check the BIOS the fan were blowing at 2000 rpm i think...

What would be the normal Temperature for the cpu? about 40C?

I also remember hearing things about people saying that this board tends to exaggerate the cpu temperature... true...?
 
Well, I'm not really sure how to help you.
However, If I was you I'd go out and buy some Arctic Silver thermal compound. Rather then some Generic stuff.
Then there is a spot in the BIOS where you can change the CPU FAN with Percents.
I think Stock is 70%
Just up it to 100%
 
Originally posted by 133
the fan blows air ONTO the heatsink. just put ur hand there and feel for air blowing onto ur palm, you can tell the diff which way its pointing.

even if its a crap OEM fan like in a PSU

Be sure not to miss this mans post.
 
Im already using Artic Silver 5 on it.

But once I get home from school , Im turning the fan up ;)
 
yeah 50 idle is a bit high. I am stressing and I am running on 39 idle with Zalman 7000ALCU. What are your temps on load?
 
Your in spec but running hotter that normal

What are your case temps?

Do you have enough air flow in your case?

Also, I have learned that a power supply thats weak on the 12volt rail will cause your caps to heat up on the mobo.

Subsequently your case temp rises.
 
I got a ThermalTake 480w xaser PSU so that isnt a issue. I got two rear case fans blowing it off. Its gonna be 6 total fans. So i think everything is in check. Perhaps I should add more Artic Silver and upgrade my 92 Vantec fan. Its MAXIMUM rpm is 1600 top. So perhaps it could be the fan and thermal compound?
 
I had the same problem, though not quite as high as yours. I switched the back fan from exauhst to intake, since its under the PSU exauhst your fine (thats HighSchool science) and my cpu temp went down about 4 degrees C, just play with your fans to find the best. Actually, i get better temps when my top blowhole is running at about 1000 rpm. Also, how's your wiring? if its all over the place, your not going to be getting enough air to the back of the case can't link ya, but there are a ton of threads around here about that.

Congrats on the build, nice system!
 
That is super hot. I'm running an almost identical set-up with a 3G p4 with the same heatsink on an ASUS P4C-800 (875 chipset) and my CPU idles at around 34C with none of my case fans running. IMO, your HSF is not mounted properly or as 133 says the fan is pointed the wrong way.
 
No, it's not super hot, just on the high side. Note that he's using an Abit, which often reports temps higher than actual, while you're using an Asus, which sometimes reports temps lower than actual. That can add up to a 10-15C difference between the two mobos.
 
*NEW UPDATE* At 3.45 ghz while running benchmark It climb up to 60 C and I quickly turn off the computer to check. When I tough the heatsink, IT WAS NOT EVEN WARM!. So really started to tighten up the bolts. booted, I went back to 3ghz and it was still at 50C.

Somehow could this be a motherboard driver issue? Can I like update it and the cpu temps starts monitor the actual temperature? Im pretty sure I added the AS 5 properly :(
 
*bump*

Is any other IC7-Max3 users experience the same thing as I am or its just me?

I dont wanna be alone....:(
 
Back
Top