• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Finding USB keys with decent random 4k r/w performance

panfist

Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
638
There are a lot of garbage USB keys out there.

There are also some that are like mini-ssds and priced accordingly, e.g. corsair gtx.

Anandtech has done some reviews, but they are so few and far between that the well-reviewed keys I want are not even available any more.

I'm looking for a USB I can use for a portable linux install that's not going to have horrible performance, but it doesn't have to be blazing fast. 5-10MB/s of 4k random r/w performance should be fine. 16-32GB capacity is fine.

Any recommendations on keys or where to find current info on what's available?
 
Sandisk Extreme Pro USB 3.0 should be something of interest, you can find lots of reviews buy using Google.
 
I second SanDisk Extreme. I have the 64 GB version, it is so fast that I even got Windows To Go up and running on it. The OS runs better off this USB than many, if not most, hard drives!
 
Build your own using an msata. This will blow away just about anything prebuilt. Not needed for Linux installs though. Patriot SuperSonic Rage II is very good.
 
Back
Top