finding things in vista is a pain!

mjz_5

2[H]4U
I've been playing with vista at work for a while now. I love the prettiness and the new start menu. But man, for the life of me, i can't seem to find anything.. Changing any settings is a pain in the ass. For example, advance power settings (i.e. "when you close the lid on your laptop...")...

Couldn't they just keep everything like it was in XP, but with all the vista stuff in the background..

One thing that i found in vista is that network settings change a lot quicker!!

just my 2 cents

mjz_5 said:
I've been playing with vista at work for a while now. I love the prettiness and the new start menu. But man, for the life of me, i can't seem to find anything.. Changing any settings is a pain in the ass. For example, advance power settings (i.e. "when you close the lid on your laptop...")...

Couldn't they just keep everything like it was in XP, but with all the vista stuff in the background..

One thing that i found in vista is that network settings change a lot quicker!!

just my 2 cents

Yeah I've noticed that as well, everything is a lot easier to find in os x and win xp than it is in vista.

I'll probably get used to doing it some other way, or using the run dialog to get straight to the place i want to get to, but right now i have some learning to do to get used to vista.

You can make Vista look almost exactly like XP in almost every way, right down to the "Classic" Start Menu and Classic Control Panel, etc.

If that's your intention, fine, but my suggestion is: It's a new OS, so why not learn something new. Sure it'll be a pain in the ass until you figure it out, but you didn't just load up XP on day 1 5 years ago and knew it backwards and forwards. Vista has a learning curve just like XP did, like 2K did (even though it was almost exactly the same as 98SE, which was almost exactly the same as 95, etc).

It's new, give it a chance. It's not that tough to figure stuff out.

i don't like how they go rid of all the tabs.. for example, display properties.. its like, a much of windows now instead of just one..

but true, i just have to get used to it.. thats why i installed it on my work pc, why not get paid while learning :)

Heheh and imagine that some people actually pay to pork their computer with Vista.

Finn said:
Heheh and imagine that some people actually pay to pork their computer with Vista.
<flame on>I find it amusing that people waste their valuable time trying with operating systems such as Linux, but that's just me.<flame off>

To the OP:
Use the search box. As far as I remember from when I was running RC1, that beautiful box can find anything!

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
<flame on>I find it amusing that people waste their valuable time trying with operating systems such as Linux, but that's just me.<flame off>

To the OP:
Use the search box. As far as I remember from when I was running RC1, that beautiful box can find anything!

It's true. I just started to type in "power" and "Power Savings" popped up immediately.

bbz_Ghost said:
You can make Vista look almost exactly like XP in almost every way, right down to the "Classic" Start Menu and Classic Control Panel, etc.

If that's your intention, fine, but my suggestion is: It's a new OS, so why not learn something new. Sure it'll be a pain in the ass until you figure it out, but you didn't just load up XP on day 1 5 years ago and knew it backwards and forwards. Vista has a learning curve just like XP did, like 2K did (even though it was almost exactly the same as 98SE, which was almost exactly the same as 95, etc).

It's new, give it a chance. It's not that tough to figure stuff out.
I've been using XP for almost 5 years now, and still switch to the classic control panel on any machine I work with. Why are you trying to group stuff for me, Windows????

Still, looks like new search FTW in vista.

I think this is just like XP was over 98, though. It seems unusual at first, but after a month or two it's like second nature.
My gripe with Vista is that the OS either nagged you about everything you did...or it would let you delete your whole hard-drive without warning you at all. There seemed to be no way to have some security...but not force a nag message for every single thing you do.
...oh yeah, and I didn't much care for the "shared" folder layout. I don't know it it'll look like that for the "Home" versions of the OS, but in the beta...I don't want or need those folders and I couldn't get rid of them.

It's the same thing with any new OS. You just gotta spend some time and see where Microsoft moved something you were used to finding in an old place. Whenever Dell starts shipping pc's with Vista I'll order one up and make it my primary desk machine at work so I can bug test and familiarize myself with it.

Mister Natural said:
It's the same thing with any new OS. You just gotta spend some time and see where Microsoft moved something you were used to finding in an old place. Whenever Dell starts shipping pc's with Vista I'll order one up and make it my primary desk machine at work so I can bug test and familiarize myself with it.

You'll get used to it quickly. They re-arranged the "My Documents" folder and split it up into a few different spots. The "Ultimate" version seems to have a strong focus on user accounts and user folders that a home user will likely never use or need. Beyond that, it felt like a skinned XP to me. On a business end it might be very different and streamlined. For a normal end-user using it at home...It felt a little bloated, but not THAT different from XP. It took me a couple days to more or less "figure it out."

When using the RCs, the only things that really bothered me were Display Properties and Add/Remove Programs.

I just used the ATi control panel system tray icon which I had used before, so Display Properties wasn't a huge deal anymore. Not that you really adjust these often after they're set properly the first time anyway.

I'm not quite sure if I'll ever get over add/remove programs. I've been doing Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs with Control Panel set to expand since Windows 2000. It's 28 slots down from where it would be if it was still Add/Remove Programs instead of Programs and Features.

Back