Finding drivers for unknown hardware?

DellAxim

Gawd
I have an older computer I'm trying to setup as a music player. I have installed XP pro and the motherboard has onboard audio. Currently the audio is not working because XP cannot find a driver.

Problem is, I can't find a driver either. I could if I knew what I was looking for, but I don't even know what hardware I have. I'm sure I could find a driver if I knew what to search for. How can I tell what hardware I have and what driver I need to find?:confused:

Open Device Manager, double click your unknown device. Click the details tab, then change the property dropdown to "Hardware IDs". You should have several strings in the value field, example:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS816810EC&REV_03

Note the four digit hex values after VEN_ and DEV_. Go to www.pcidatabase.com and input the vendor code there. Click through once it finds your vendor, and search (CTRL+F) through the list of device IDs until you find the one corresponding to your DEV_ number. This should get you a manufacturer and a device. Often times there will be a link to a working driver under your entry, making it even easier. :)

Open Device Manager, double click your unknown device. Click the details tab, then change the property dropdown to "Hardware IDs". You should have several strings in the value field, example:

Note the four digit hex values after VEN_ and DEV_. Go to www.pcidatabase.com and input the vendor code there. Click through once it finds your vendor, and search (CTRL+F) through the list of device IDs until you find the one corresponding to your DEV_ number. This should get you a manufacturer and a device. Often times there will be a link to a working driver under your entry, making it even easier. :)

This is all you need to know to find the exact driver for your system.

THANK YOU!!! You just saved this computer from the trash.

It's a weird Samba 1845 motherboard and I googled my brains out trying to find the driver that way.

Well hell,this is something I never knew about(never needed to anyway),this will come in handy in case one of my relatives needs help.Subscribed to this thread for future use.

kudos, i always help format my friends super old comp this will help alot

At work we use a program called Driver pack solution. Its a Russian program but works Fantastic. Finds all unknown. Once in a while you might have 1 or 2 missing but its rare.

Done this countless of times of friends and relatives computers. Works like a charm. :D

Back