Finally under 30m TPF on -bigadv

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
5,145
I know it's way too early to tell but I am very pleased so far with the decision to replace my burnt ASRock X58 Extreme with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. After completing an A3 @ 4 GHz last night , I decided to move onto a bigadv this morning and I am currently at 3%.

[11:47:16] Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)
[12:17:00] Completed 5000 out of 250000 steps (2%)
[12:46:45] Completed 7500 out of 250000 steps (3%)

This is 29m 45s frame times and, if it stays like this throughout the unit, will net me 61K points for a PpD of 29.6K. :cool:
 
Sweet! Is this faster than the Asrock setup and is it running the same speed?
 
It's certainly promising to see numbers like that when you first start a WU :) Does that box run a GPU too? My 920 @ 4GHz still hovers around 31-32 MPF but I have a GPU running on that box as well.
 
Now I've got something to shoot for

great build by the way, what are you seeing temp wise with that OC on bigadv? I think I'm in love with your HS/F
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Nice times! I'm going to need much better cooling before I can touch that...

 
That is pretty impressive.

I am about to set up a BidAdv rig and was looking at the GA MoBo. I've got everything but the MoBo & RAM. I'd like to see if I can match that. What are you using for cooling?

 
This is native Linux right? What distro? Any guides? I'm almost ready to move my rig to the rack and load up some Linux
can you P95 on Linux?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Nice! I'm guessin this is Linux. I have mine running gpu and VM, but I might end going straight Linux
 
/waves hand

no, no your not K, you like your current ppd levels, you won't keep increasing thus making yourself an imposible target

/waves hand
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Sweet! Is this faster than the Asrock setup and is it running the same speed?
Yeah, when it crashed, I was running the ASRock at 3.85 GHz and was seeing 30m 49s frames with it. I was never able to achieve a bigadv or A3 stable 4 GHz clock with the ASRock board.

Does that box run a GPU too? My 920 @ 4GHz still hovers around 31-32 MPF but I have a GPU running on that box as well.
No, I used to run three GPUs on my bigadv rig but a few weeks ago I built a new box to move the GPUs into so I could improve bigadv frame times. When I was running 3 GPUs and the 920 @ 3.85 GHz, I was getting 33m 45s frame times.

great build by the way, what are you seeing temp wise with that OC on bigadv? I think I'm in love with your HS/F
I am averaging around 70C. Not the greatest temps but acceptable.

What are you using for cooling?
Right now, I am running a Corsair H50 but I may also experiment with a CoGage True Spirit.


All - Yes, I am running native Linux. It is the only way I will run bigadv until it gets released to the A3 core. I use a very minimal install of Gentoo Linux with a custom compiled 2.6.33 kernel that has the BFS scheduler patched into it. I am now running this on a 30GB Vertex SSD.
 
/waves hand

no, no your not K, you like your current ppd levels, you won't keep increasing thus making yourself an imposible target

/waves hand
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
If I can find a distro that works with turboboost, I think I can hit sub 27 TPF with Nexus.
 
/waves hand again, this time saying goodbye to any chance of even showing up on K's threat list
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
very-nice-borat.jpg
 
Hey, no gay pr0n in my threads.. thank you very much.
 
I may also experiment with a CoGage True Spirit.

If you didn't buy one already, wait a few days...
I bought a Cogage Arrow earlier this morning to replace my U12P SE2 with and it looks like (basically) a poor man's NH-D14 (albeit with 1 less fan and a different heatpipe setup, but for $20 less). The review I saw for it though comparing the two, the Arrow beat the D14 in apples to apples comparisons with different fans.

Anyway - if you're thinking of going air for whatever reason, I'll put up some pics and temps once it gets here (hopefully Saturday). I'm hoping to finally go 4ghz+ since the cooler will be much better than the U12P SE2.
 
If you didn't buy one already, wait a few days...
Yeah, already ordered a True Spirit this morning.. it'll be here Saturday. What I like about the TS is that it will not block the first DIMM slot. It's always had favorable reviews so, for $40, I figured I'd give it a try. I'm going to use a different fan than the one that comes with it though. If it doesn't work, it'll make for a nice spare. :rolleyes:

I was initially pleased with the H50 cooler but it isn't working as well as it did when it was brand new two months ago. However, it may not like AS5 that I reinstalled it with on the new board.

Meanwhile, the bigadv unit is continuing to crunch along. I just put up some new web-bases stats of my farm this morning if anyone is interested.

http://teamtobit.net/stats/
 
I wish the TS came with the bolt through kit though instead of the pushpins. Of course you can use TR's 1366 bolt through kit for another $10.... I guess I'm having a brief case of buyer's remorse on getting the Arrow over the TS. Oh well it'll pass :D
 
What would make it go bad likethat?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Vaulter, I'm not sure.. maybe I just screwed up the TIM application. I just don't want to interrupt this current bigadv to check it.

zero2dash, yeah.. I spent the extra $10 for the bolt through kit.
 
Long story short I started worrying the Arrow wouldn't clear all the ram slots (and looking into the side of the case now I can almost guarantee it)...I cancelled that order, was going to order a TRUE Spirit...then I found out Microcenter does carry them & have them in stock near me so I'm planning on buying one there either tonight or tomorrow (since their cost is the same as SVC+shipping), along with a bolt-through kit. Interestingly enough though I've seen reviews of the TS that look like now it does come with a bolt-through kit instead of pushpins, so I'm hoping it does...Tobit, I'm going to check the box at MC and make sure and I'll post results and whether it comes with it or not. :)
 
Vaulter, I'm not sure.. maybe I just screwed up the TIM application. I just don't want to interrupt this current bigadv to check it.

zero2dash, yeah.. I spent the extra $10 for the bolt through kit.

isnt it sad that we dont fix our computers because we dont want our avg TPF to go up 40secs? :eek:
 
We are going to have to start recommending fire extinguishers be kept on hand for bigadv farms pretty soon.
 
Got mine already! Just put it in the folding room today, but more because I'll be storing large quantities of gun powder in a locked cabinet in there soon
 
I've got my i7 up to 3.9 stable....

I need to get another set of RAM to plug into this guy so I can fire -bigadv back up on the i7. Be nice to turn 14k ppd into ~30k ppd.
 
You'll have to get around 2.9 to 3.0 Ghz to qualify for the bonus I think
Could be wrong, but that's what comes to mind

A good easy OC like 3.4 or 3.6 will still net you a pretty penny
 
Give openSUSE a shot.

Using OpenSUSE, on a ASUS P6T with turboboost enabled. It's been running very well
I7 920 @ 3.720 in bios. With turbo should be running at 3.91. TPF is 30min 40secs
which looks about right for the cpu speed.
 
Wow. Just had a really odd power outage here but thankfully -bigadv resumed right from where it left off right at 30%. I love this new SSD. :D
 
Just passed 50% on the first bigadv with this new board at 4GHz. If it wasn't for that weird power outage last night, I'd have no issues whatsoever but this has nothing to do with the board or OC. TPF has slowed down just a tick to 29m 53s but I am still under my goal of sub-30m frames so I am still pleased. It is still doing 29K PpD but just barely at this TPF.

If it's been this stable at 4GHz it means I'm not trying the OC [H]ard enough, correct? :D
 
Still purring away, currently 78% complete with 10.5 hours to go. Very disappointed that my PpD has nose-dived as a result of my previous motherboard crashing. I've fallen out of the top 20 and even z2d and Kendrak have passed me. I'll be back though!!
 
Maybe I shouldn't mention I'm turning in another -bigadv in under 2 hours :D
 
Still purring away, currently 78% complete with 10.5 hours to go. Very disappointed that my PpD has nose-dived as a result of my previous motherboard crashing. I've fallen out of the top 20 and even z2d and Kendrak have passed me. I'll be back though!!

Nice to know things are still going strong with your new setup. Your temps still manageable with the H50, or are you sill moving on to something different? I'm looking at investing in a GB X58A MB as well, so if there is anything negative you can think of about your new rig...I'd be interesting in hearing about it this evening. ;) Of course, more positives are welcome too...
 
Your temps still manageable with the H50, or are you sill moving on to something different? I'm looking at investing in a GB X58A MB as well, so if there is anything negative you can think of about your new rig...
Yeah, the H50 is fine but still running warmer than it did when I first installed it with the factory TIM. Temps bounce around from 68C to 76C when folding bigadv. I'd prefer it to stay under 70C but it's fine really. I may have applied the AS5 a little too thick.

For $200, I really really like this motherboard so far. I honestly have nothing to complain about at this time. Had this board been available a few months ago when I purchased my ASRock, I probably would have never had purchased the ASRock. 4GHz was very easy to attain and it's running bigadv, not much else to say.
 
Current temps:

Code:
tobit@ganymede ~ $ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +73.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:      +71.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0002
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 2:      +67.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0003
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 3:      +67.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0004
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 4:      +72.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0005
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 5:      +70.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0006
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 6:      +68.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0007
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 7:      +67.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

it8720-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:         +1.31 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in1:         +1.62 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in2:         +3.28 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in3:         +2.90 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in4:         +3.55 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in5:         +3.07 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in6:         +2.29 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in7:         +2.14 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
Vbat:        +3.18 V
fan1:       1674 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan2:          0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:       1427 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan4:       1520 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
temp1:       +32.0 C  (low  = +127.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:       +59.0 C  (low  = -128.0 C, high = +60.0 C)  sensor = thermal diode
temp3:       +43.0 C  (low  = -128.0 C, high = +60.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
 
Just passed 50% on the first bigadv with this new board at 4GHz. If it wasn't for that weird power outage last night, I'd have no issues whatsoever but this has nothing to do with the board or OC. TPF has slowed down just a tick to 29m 53s but I am still under my goal of sub-30m frames so I am still pleased. It is still doing 29K PpD but just barely at this TPF.

If it's been this stable at 4GHz it means I'm not trying the OC [H]ard enough, correct? :D

thats my thought. But then again I tride 40% nitromethan on a mini bike
 
Back
Top