Finally saw what gigabit can do

Mackintire

2[H]4U
I was assembling and testing some custom production machines here, and I had to perform a data transfer between two windows 7 machines through an HP 1400 switch. I saw 100MBps transfers for the first time.

I only wish I could get the main network to operate that fast.

Comments welcome

I am glad you enjoy gigabit. Now upgrade everything!! :D

I saw a big difference when I went from cat5 (home made) to cat6 (factory made) cables. I don't quite get gigabit but closer than before. Now I just need a decent enterprise class switch and jumbo frames.
Crazy to be able to transfer a GB+ file in seconds.

I'm still on 100 mbit switches at home. I really should get gigabit... My machines all have GB NICs.

All our machines have gigabit ethernet adapters, half of them are intel Pro 1000GTs.

But none of the machines on the network show throughput higher than 35MBps when transferring files

This was the first time I have ever seen 100MBps transfers here at our location.

I can never get my home network to get even close to 1gigabit but at least I can get faster then 100mbps most of the time

Last edited:
All our machines have gigabit ethernet adapters, half of them are intel Pro 1000GTs.

But none of the machines on the network show throughput higher than 35MBps when transferring files

This was the first time I have ever seen 100MBps transfers here at our location.

that possibly means the network is no longer your bottleneck (yey!), its probably the read speed of the hard drive or something that is limiting you to 35MB/sec.

now run some jperf tests

Back