finally ready to do this correctly.

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
Finally got around to replacing the hard drive in my media PC. Using a 80gb for OS/Programs and a 1TB for media

Its been a while so I have no idea where to start to get this thing setup correctly. I want it to be easy to use, ie. my wife needs to be able to start a movie.

It currently has win7 ultimate on it, drivers install and everything.

Main problem is my media is all over the place. I have ISO, straight dvd and bluray rips (with all the folders), MKVs, AVIs, MPGs, everything.....

I need to install my bluray/dvd software that came with my BR drive (I think its power dvd 8 or something)

Audio on the PC is already setup to just pass through whatever output is needed to my receiver.

My plan was to organize my media by types so I would start with a movies folder and a tv folder and then break it down more than (so like DVD, BR for movies and TV shows, anime for TV folder)

I'm just getting my first real HTPC started so I'm definitely no expert but I've been surprised to find how many different media types are supported by Media Browser. I'd start with installing that, see which ones it doesn't support and go from there. You may only have to do a little converting in the end...

WMC should be able to play everything you need it to, minus Blue Ray discs. It will not play those. For everything else, at most all you will need is the proper codec and/ or filter.

XBMC sounds like a plan to me

although there are always arguements for and against each package

it's not really the playing,

WMC will auto start an ISO? Will it create a media library with all these formats? I'm not looking to just explore folders and double click a file.

Back