Finally ordered my HTPC stuff..

Gillette

[H]ard|Gawd
Everything set up, pics in post #8!

Thanks very much to everyone here for the advice and general information! I ended up ordering/using the following:

Antec NSK2480
AMD 4850e
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP (rather than S2H as most recent reviews on NewEgg were talks of horrible failure)
2x 1GB OCZ Gold PC2-6400
250GB IDE HD
DVD-ROM

Opted for a small HD due to the fact that I'll be streaming basically everything from other PCs in the apartment. I'll pick up a Ninja Mini and perhaps a BR drive down the road once I'm sure everything is up and running properly, and I'll be sure to post pics of the setup once everything is built :)

My only question at this point, fortunately a minor one, is how good is the integrated video for light gaming (i.e. Warcraft 3, UT2K4, Source games)? I'm not expecting anything amazing from Source engine games, but on low/medium settings I'm hoping TF2 and HLDM will be playable.

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP (rather than S2H as most recent reviews on NewEgg were talks of horrible failure)

Do you happen to know the differences between the S2H and the S2HP?

I can pick up an open box S2H for like 55 dollars but the S2HP is like 80 dollars new.
Is it worth the extra money for the S2HP?

Actually as far as I can tell the S2H is the more featureful version of the board (more USB ports notably), past that they seem to be very similar.

The only reason I went with the S2HP is that the S2H seems to have a tremendously high failure/DOA rate.

I believe the S2HP is newer and I think it adds support for AM3 processors or something but beyond that I am not sure what the new features are.

Everything up and running, will post pics of my setup on Monday :) The NSK2480, much like the P180 is an absolute pleasure to build a PC in; everything fits perfectly, cables tuck away neatly, and the even with the stock fans/stock CPU cooler the case is near silent.

Killing2Live: I've been hard pressed to find any reviews of the S2HP actually... all I know at this point is that it boots :p

Apologies in advance for cell phone pics.

The parts:
IMG00073.jpg

The final setup:
IMG00076.jpg

From behind the couch:
IMG00075.jpg

Sitting down on said couch:
IMG00077.jpg

Best coaster money can buy:
IMG00078.jpg

looks good, similar to my setup, which i still need to take pics of... :)

Back