Finally joined the apple ecosystem

Reading through various job postings, I noticed employers asking for mac and os x trouble shooting skills so I bit the bullet and picked up a used 2009 MBP

Had a friend swap in a Samsung 120gb ssd and maxed out the ram to 8gb..she fly's now :D

Are there any videos or video podcasts that show you how to perform tasks that you would generally do in a windows environment...how to join to a domain, share files, manage users, etc?

Enjoy it. I haven't yet gotten into the full ecosystem. I'm mostly iPod's and iPhone's, but maybe one day.

Reading through various job postings, I noticed employers asking for mac and os x trouble shooting skills so I bit the bullet and picked up a used 2009 MBP

Had a friend swap in a Samsung 120gb ssd and maxed out the ram to 8gb..she fly's now :D

Are there any videos or video podcasts that show you how to perform tasks that you would generally do in a windows environment...how to join to a domain, share files, manage users, etc?
OS X Server in the Mac App Store

Go through Apple and read up on how they integrate with AD. It's not too difficult, but I'd suggest reading up on it.

Don't know of any vid or podcasts, but some other websites....

macworld.com
cultofmac.com
9to5mac.com

and of course...

lifehacker.com

Don't know why, but I have a serious Macbook itch right now. Never even owned anything aside from an Ipad. I have an Ipad Air right now, and it annoys the hell out of me with all the memory issues.

But I played with a Macbook at Bestbuy, and it was a beautiful thing. Really wanting the top end 15" with the dedicated 750, 16gb ram, and 512gb SSD which would $2800. Just worried I'd get it, and hate it. Not to mention I could get a much more powerful notebook for much less money. The adult in me says it's not worth the money, the kid says it's awesome and I want it.

I think the iPad Air problems are more from the fact that it's a 64bit architecture. Some developers are still having trouble coding for it, so until the apps are fixed there will be crashes.

Don't know why, but I have a serious Macbook itch right now. Never even owned anything aside from an Ipad. I have an Ipad Air right now, and it annoys the hell out of me with all the memory issues.

But I played with a Macbook at Bestbuy, and it was a beautiful thing. Really wanting the top end 15" with the dedicated 750, 16gb ram, and 512gb SSD which would $2800. Just worried I'd get it, and hate it. Not to mention I could get a much more powerful notebook for much less money. The adult in me says it's not worth the money, the kid says it's awesome and I want it.

Trust me...

After having a 2012 rMBP since it came out, I can guarantee the $2300 I spent on this machine was worth it. I love this thing to bits. It's so solid of a machine and I don't regret it one bit. I've never had issues and its been a joy to use.

Trust me...

After having a 2012 rMBP since it came out, I can guarantee the $2300 I spent on this machine was worth it. I love this thing to bits. It's so solid of a machine and I don't regret it one bit. I've never had issues and its been a joy to use.

Were you mainly PC before that?

Did you keep OSX or did you install Windows on it in any form?

Will I be locked into the ecosystem if I get one?

Do they do small, incremental released with the Macbooks like they do everything else? Don't want to be outdated as soon as I purchase it.

This is what makes me feel like I would be paying too much for a Macbook.
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-pro

I can't really see anything on that laptop you linked that's better than a retina

The screen is horrid, the integrated gpu is worse, the 765m is stronger but at 75 watts it's almost sucking as much juice as the entire retina! I don't understand what's going on with the trackpad. It's a longshot but maybe it won't suck. Wouldn't count on that though. I'd like to see some speed results for the sad. My 1st gen retina is twice as fast as my samsung 830 pro 500gb SSd and my gf haswell air was 2.5 times faster than mine. Her read speeds were over 700mb/s sustained.

Yes apple does do incremental updates but they support products for a few years unlike all the android devices I've seen save google flagship devices. Although if you have an air that's a strange commentary because we have a 64bit chip, retina screen, and they shaved something like a full pound from last years iteration. I've been using mine all day for surfing tdiclub while working on my diesel today and I'm only at 94% battery. Lastly if you do decide you don't like it you'll be able to sell it at only a couple hundred dollars loss...unless you decide within a couple weeks in which case you can simply return it at no loss at all. I don't know if that razor would last three years. With the retina you can have it completely refurbished for about 150 bucks at the three year mark and it'd easily last for another couple years. Not that it matters...who keeps apple devices longer than a year anyway :)

I've been using an iMac with Mavericks recently. Being a Windows 7 user, I've noticed a lot of similarities. I don't know who copies who, but a lot of the desktop/navigation concepts are similar.

Were you mainly PC before that?

Did you keep OSX or did you install Windows on it in any form?

Will I be locked into the ecosystem if I get one?

Do they do small, incremental released with the Macbooks like they do everything else? Don't want to be outdated as soon as I purchase it.

This is what makes me feel like I would be paying too much for a Macbook.
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-pro

I have owned the very first white MacBook (bought it on release day). Then bought the aluminum MacBook Pro 13 inch. Now have the retina.

With those, I have always maintained a desktop PC running Windows (Core Duo, Core 2 Quad, now Core i7). I've never felt like I have been sucked into one ecosystem over the other. The Mac is just better for certain things.

Of course they do incremental updates, about every 6 months. But I'm running a Core i7 in my Macbook and it has NEVER felt slow. I also have 16gb of ram...so I'm pretty powerful. It won't be outdated.

You should know by now that anytime you purchase ANYTHING electronic it is "outdated" as soon as you take it out of the store. ;)

My 2012 rMBP is no where near outdated. And it won't be (at least for my purposes) for at least 3 or 4 years. "Outdated" is a relative term... relative to your use.

Now, if you are one of those people that have to keep up with everyone else, ANY laptop will be outdated within months.

You should know by now that anytime you purchase ANYTHING electronic it is "outdated" as soon as you take it out of the store. ;)

My 2012 rMBP is no where near outdated. And it won't be (at least for my purposes) for at least 3 or 4 years. "Outdated" is a relative term... relative to your use.

Now, if you are one of those people that have to keep up with everyone else, ANY laptop will be outdated within months.

I realize that, but if a 2014 model is coming soon, and since I don't need it now, I'd rather buy the newest version. Tech will always get outdated, but I don't want to buy something then a month later hear how the new model is 20 times better. I like to buy the newest model, so at least I have a couple months before it's the old model.

I have a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13" that I maxed to 16GB Ram and I put a 240GB SSD in it with the stock 500GB HD in an Optibay and it runs so damn smooth. I do not regret anything about it, well I wish it was a little lighter. I wanted a MacBook Air but I like being able to upgrade my machine.

Now to be on topic. MacRumors I find is one of the best resources you can find online. I support a 60% Mac environment at work and if I get stuck on anything I go there first.

MacRumors also has a guide to Apple release dates. It's under the "Buyers Guide".

Back