FInally Happened

Well, after nearly 2 and a half years of watercooling, it has finally happened. I got a leak.

But no, this is not your ordinary leak. This is a major OMFGWTFBBQ leak.

You see, my pump failed to start up last night, causing my CPU to overheat. For some reason, the CPU got hot enough (before it was shutdown?) to WARP THE LUCITE TOP on my TDX.

I'd have pictures... but I only have my laptop to post on, and my phone is my only camera (phone software is on the desktop, no linux phone software available?), so no pictures. But damnitall, this is a shitty deal.

So, now I'm waiting on Danger Den to let me know if there is a universal brass top available (with socket A and 939 holes) so I can buy one of those, try out my mobo and proc to see if they work, and if they dont, find a AGP socket 939 motherboard (i have a 3000+ wenice sitting around, another project) cause I dont have cash for a new video card too.

And you know, I can't say that this was Murphey's doing... on almost all of my barbs I have no clamps (7/16 tube on 1/2 barbs) but that wasn't where the leak was.

Moral of the story? hooray brass tops.

punx_clever.cry(loudly)

sorry to hear that dude.
if the mobo doesn't work out, i've seen quite a few agp 939 boards on eBay. tough to find one from an online retailer.

pics of meltage would be nice when you have access to do so.

That sucks major!

I am glad my Aquaero will turn my computer off the second a pump fails in my system.

Glad to hear another reason to get a brass top. I've got to order a top for a rebuild soon, and I wasn't sure about dropping the extra $5. This settles it. (Not that I plan on cooking my system, but you never know what's gonig to happen.)

I was not responsible for this in any way, shape, or form.

(sucks man, how about wine'ing the mobile phone tools? or, *gasp* air cooling

Cain: The pump has not started before, and it usually shuts itself off. Why it didn't this time, i do not know.

nonlnear: I highly doubt that this is ever goign to happen to me again, but yeah, the nervous, scared, ZOMG side of me says to go for the brass

BBQ.... IT WAS YOU, YOU DIRTY RAT FINK! ;) Wine is too much trouble right nwo (cant ever seem to get it to wrk for anything) and I dont actually have a regular heatsink. I'm at college man, all of my supplies are back in new mexico!

that sucks

on a similar note, I had a retaining tab break on my socket.... dont remember that caused the heatsink to lift off the CPU -- it never shut down and instead go so hot my fan (still running) on the heatsink melted almost 1/2" INTO the copper fins of the heatsink until it (the fan) died. It then continued to burn the socket and blacken the mobo in a 1"ish circle under the CPU. The case fans that were blowing smoke around the house set off my smoke alarm and that's how I awoke to find it smoldering in my office :(

In the system I'm building I planned ahead a little and have 2 temp monitors (case and water) that will set off alarms if it gets too high

If it doesn't work out, I have a s939 proc sitting around from another project that I can just put into an AGP board and finally move more towards the future. But, if thats teh case, I will miss being able to hit 240mhz fsb (480 ddr) on an AXP... sad day.

I CANT believe it didn't throttle and shutdown...

So anyone know a way to make speefan shut down the computer if your processor gets over a certain threshold? heh.

Make a shortcut to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 0

and give it those parameters.

-s shutdown
-f force close
-t 0 do it immediately

Tell speedfan to execute this shortcut when things get dicey... Note: shortcuts have an extension of .lnk So if you place it on your desktop it might read C:\Documents and Settings\Seer\Desktop\SD.lnk

For a softer shutdown, try just -s. This will give progroams time to close and save data, etc.

When I say parameters, you have to add these in the right click > properties > Target field, after the location of the file.

Hope this works...speedfan monitoring has always been semi-broken for me, and I never really got it to work. But if you run the .lnk, it works.

Back