• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Finally got the speeds I wanted

Harrath

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2003
Messages
209
When I bought my computer, it was of course my intention to overclock all along. So you can expect my disappointment when my chip wasn't entirely stable at 2.0 GHz (It's a Winchester 3000+). I chalked it up to bad luck and went along my happy way.

But then I thought about how the board I was using (ePox 9NDA3+) used a seperate controller for the 3 & 4th SATA ports; I had my WD Raptor on the 3rd port. This puzzled me, as the board has a working AGP/PCI lock, so that SATA controller couldn't be the source of my instability at overclocked speeds.

But then I read that indeed, some boards have an issue that their auxilliary SATA controllers are not affected by the PCI lock, only the ones controlled by the Southbridge were. So I figured I'd just plug that harddrive into SATA1 or 2, which are run off of the Southbridge. Needless to say my dissappointment: They are located so elegantly between the AGP port and the first PCI slot. Basically, my video card blocked any cable that tried to go in there.

...Until now.

I ended up breaking the plastic handle thing on the end of an SATA connector, folded the actual connector down, and managed to squeeze it in there. Any luck?


overclock.PNG



overclock2.PNG





I should think so!

Needsless to say I'm quite pleased with my $184 Athlon 64 3800+ :)
 
Congrats on solving the puzzle! :)

I'm going through the same thing (see the 3000+ Venice overclocking healp thread in this same forum for pages and pages and PAGES of more details) and I eagerly await the day I can post back with a triumphant "I Beat The Machine!" so to speak.
 
Other than playing FarCry, no I haven't stability tested it. I'll be looping Prime95 overnight.

I'm still tweaking the RAM a bit, I know I can get better timings than that. By the way for those who are curious my RAM is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220006

The RAM surprised me alot, I wasn't expecting it to go very far for what I paid for it. A good deal if you need a gig.
 
Harrath said:
Other than playing FarCry, no I haven't stability tested it. I'll be looping Prime95 overnight.

I'm still tweaking the RAM a bit, I know I can get better timings than that. By the way for those who are curious my RAM is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220006

The RAM surprised me alot, I wasn't expecting it to go very far for what I paid for it. A good deal if you need a gig.

Can you not push it a bit harder than CAS 3?! Maybe volt it up a bit if need be?
 
That's not too surprising...those latencies are terrible. Have you tried CAS2.5, or does it just refuse to budge? Even nudging it up to 2.5-5-5-5 would increase game performance a good bit.
 
Really shitty placerment isnt it, a characteristic of epox boards unfortunately, you can however get rigth angle sata cables that work just fine, shame they dont come with some though.
 
Ok, got it down to 2.5-5-5-5, running tests now. Overall there is a very noticeable improvement in framerates, I'm quite happy.

It really is a shame about the placement of the connectors. Otherwise I think the placement on this board is quite good (ample room around the CPU, IDE/power connectors in good places, video card doesn't block the DIMMs).
 
Back
Top