finally got my 3000+ over 2.4GHz

Logan321

[H]ard|Gawd
It took some fiddling with, but my 3000+ is finally running at 2.4GHz, 267MHz FSB, 219MHz ram @ 2-3-3-6, and prime95 has been running for a couple hours now without a glitch. I'll leave it on overnight and see if it's still running in the morning, then post a screenshot. While I know it's not the 3GHz some people are getting with the newer CPUs, it's not bad for a 1yr old CPU, 33% overclock. :)

Update: After removing the IHS, I got a nice drop in temperature and an extra few MHz out of it. I'll post an updated prime95 ala SP2004, the nice graphical front-end.

Here's the specifics... CPU voltage at 1.4V, temp at 60C (which is a bit high, I might have to pop the heat spreader off this chip sometime soon) ram voltage at 2.7V.

I ran memtest86 through to ensure no serious errors before booting into windows, and used small FFTs for prime95 overnight.

Athlon64oc.jpg

smittysan89 said:
then you have horrible cooling. IF you have a good heatsink you can do that easily with a venice.
except that he obviously does not HAVE good cooling.

hell, he doesn't even have a venice.

read before you post, wise guy.

Nope, like I said, it's an old processor... Winchester core. Which is also in the screenshot. :D

I did just remove the heat spreader though, we'll see how much of a difference that makes.

Well, seems like I can run it at 1.375V instead of 1.4, and I've dropped the cpu temp to 50C. Going to run prime95 for a couple hours, see if it holds stable.

I'm running the Zalman 80mm copper heatsink, it's not too bad, and I'm running the MSI cool'n'quiet utility, so that 50C is with the fan at 2k rpm. If I turn off C'n'Q and run the fan at 2.7k rpm, it drops the cpu temp to 48C... not worth the extra noise, imo.

Well, with the heat spreader off, it seems to open up the possibilities... it's running at 275FSB atm, 1.4V core, 2475MHz cpu, and prime95 is running alright for now, 8 mins in. lol

Core is back up to 55C though. I might need to invest in a new heatsink.

DFI Daishi said:
except that he obviously does not HAVE good cooling.

hell, he doesn't even have a venice.

read before you post, wise guy.
Wise guy? It was in no way in insult. I didnt say he did have a venice i said IF, that is why I had caps on when i said IF. IF he did have a venice (which he doesnt) he shouldnt get those temps with his heatsink thats what i said.

Good luck on your OC.

Logan321 said:
Well, with the heat spreader off, it seems to open up the possibilities... it's running at 275FSB atm, 1.4V core, 2475MHz cpu, and prime95 is running alright for now, 8 mins in. lol

Core is back up to 55C though. I might need to invest in a new heatsink.

how do you take off the heatspreader on the athlon 64?
did you have to modify the mounting bracket for the heatsink?
thanks.

nice man, theres nothing wrong with a winchester, juss because its a winchester doesnt mean it doesnt overclock well depending on which stepping you hav, and this looks lik a CBBHD but my question is why is it running soo hot? esp. with a 7000cu my cpu rarely sees 45*C and tahts with the stock cooling in an antec sonata which has mediocre airflow

sianlogic said:
thanks.
you cut the glue that attaches the IHS to the cpu's pcb ;) and with he isnt using the stock A64 mounting bracket with his heatsink

Are you correctly putting on AS5? I bet you are just putting to much on the core.

AS5? lol I was just usin run of the mill white goop, but that wasn't the issue... the cpu just hops the temperature up fast when the voltage goes up... every .05V adds 3-5C it seems.

I did dig out some old AS1 I've had for about 10 years... Still good! :D I'm going to run the core up to 65C or something for a few hours to cure it.

Oh, and it's a CBBFD revision.

Anyway, was starting to get errors in prime95 after a couple hours at 2475/275fsb, so dropped it down to 2430/270fsb and 1.40V and it seems to be fine at that speed... temp at 52C

sianlogic said:
thanks.

Yeah, you VERY CAREFULLY use a razorblade to cut through the rubber-like glue that holds the heatspreader on. There are a number of surfacemounted components that you can easily cut off the cpu if you're not careful. I managed to nick one, but it didn't come off... just a little bit of the ceramic did. :eek: Still works tho.

And yeah, the zalman has a bent bar that applies the pressure on the core, so I had to bend the bar further in order to get it to apply proper pressure to the core, as without the heatspreader it's about 1/8" shorter.

Congrats mate. Yeh nothing wrong with Winchesters, all down to the stepping/manufacture date. Like mine ;)

Mine loads at 40c on the stock cooler, at 2.6ghz.

wow...60C?

thats when my alarm goes off...

what heatsink you got on that man?

Heatsink is in my sig... Zalman 80mm all copper one. And it only runs at about 75% max speed cause it's quieter that way... 2k rpm instead of 2.7k rpm. Though it only seems to make a maximum difference of 1-2 degrees between full speed and throttled.

N H O said:
btw which case are you using and how many fans are there?

What case? LOL an oldie but a goodie. Mostly self-modded... I'll link a couple pics.

I've got an Ultra X-Connect powersupply, and there's a 120mm intake and exhaust fan.

Inside.JPG

You realize cool and quiet will change your clockspeed? I always thought most people disabled it for overclocking. Also, you might have better luck going past 2.4 if you use 8x multiplier and the 133mhz setting for ram, then you can run 8x300, and your ram will still be at 200mhz.

there's two parts to cool'n'quiet... one is the clock speed adjustment, and the other is the automatic temperature control of the cpu fan. I don't have the clock speed adjustment part enabled.

The ram isn't limiting me... I can run the ram up to 233 MHz at 2-3-3-6 without errors in memtest86. I've got a funny quirk with some piece of software in windows... I can't change the multiplier. If I decrease it, it just reverts to 9x once I've booted into windows. Maybe a strange component of cool'n'quiet?

ah nice man, looks lik you hav room to mod for more fans :p how did u apply the thermal paste? which method did u use?

What "method"? :D I just put a little dab in the middle, and spread it around until there's just enough to color the die. I worked at a computer store for 10 years... spend a lot of time around heatsinks and paste.

Logan321 said:
What "method"? :D I just put a little dab in the middle, and spread it around until there's just enough to color the die. I worked at a computer store for 10 years... spend a lot of time around heatsinks and paste.
Amount of experience doesn't really count when you're doing it wrong ;) ...

well, after reading through like 6 pages of stuff on the Arctic Silver install procedure, it basically says... "put a dab on the heatsink, and make it thin". lol :rolleyes:

No, scroll down to the section on the AMD 64 instructions. You place a small dot of AS5 in the center, then fit the heatsink and it will spread the paste out.

uh huh... cept you missed the part about the heat spreader being removed... so athlon64 normal instructions do not apply. Wise guy. :D

I'm applying the arctic silver correctly for an exposed die installation.

The heatspreader is now here...

Keychain.jpg

lmfao @ keychain, rock on. I have a crushed 6800GT and it's been suggested that I do the same. You know, a thermalright XP-90 will work wonders in this situation :D.

XP-90 makes like maybe 3C difference... not enough to warrant spending that much for a heatsink AND it doesn't even come with a fan.

I've been seeing the posts about the Ninja and Big Typhoon... though I'm somewhat concerned about a massive heatsink putting too much strain on the cpu, since the heat spreader has been removed. Yeah, the zalman is big too, but it's big close to the motherboard, so there's less pivital effect by gravity. Isn't physics fun?

Logan321 said:
XP-90 makes like maybe 3C difference... not enough to warrant spending that much for a heatsink AND it doesn't even come with a fan.
From 3C? It should make a much larger difference than that.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=11&artpage=1291&articID=224

Zalman CNPS7000-Cu 50.3 C
Thermalright XP-90 + Panaflo 92mm 47.5 C

http://www.overclockers.com/articles735/
Zalman CNPS7000-Cu w 2.2k rpm fan - 0.18 C/W
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1094/
Thermalrightt XP-90 w 3k rpm fan - 0.15 C/W
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1211/
Thermalright XP-90C w 3k rpm fan - 0.12 C/W

According to http://newstuff.orcon.net.nz/wCalc.html, my cpu power is ~100W, so the Zalman would increase 18C over ambient, the XP90C would increase 12C over ambient, and the XP-90 would increase 15C... so 6C different with the copper XP90C.

I'm not interested in a 60Db screaming fan in my case, btw... so comparisons vs 80+ CFM fans aren't my idea of reasonable. :rolleyes:

If you have a review comparison link from a site you trust that shows a more significant difference, I'd be interested to read it... but I wasn't able to find one after a fair bit of searching on the net.

Back