Finally found a standalone SAS expander!

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
Chenbro is producing a standalone SAS expander which looks rather convenient - it fits in a standard PCI slot, and connects to the host and the drives. There's one version intended for occupying a system with a motherboard (it has two internal host connections, one external, and 4 disk) and one intended for external enclosures (which has no internal connections). They look like fun.

I haven't seen anywhere selling these, but I've only been looking ten minutes. Anyone know how much these run?

You should be able to daisy chain them assuming the host-side port is a subtractive decode port. Just connect them together with a 4-wide crossover cable.

I can't figure out which company's expander they are using, so I can't discern any more information about it. Any ideas whose expander is on this?

According to the manual:
The CHENBRO SAS expander is based on LSI SASX28 IC
Datasheet for that doesn't mention autoconfiguration that I saw (but I kinda skimmed it - it's 30 pages and I have homework to finish :p) but it'd be neat if it did. How about using one of those as a "switch"?

Back