Finally fixed my 970 GTX random crashes in games. Weird fix

eddie500

Gawd
Ever since I bought my 970 GTX, 1.5 years ago, I had random crashes while gaming. Would happen about every 10-30 minutes.

I tried everything to fix it. The only thing that helped was increasing fan speed to keep temps lower, I tried everything and did lots of googling, even replaced thermal paste.

However, that wasn't guaranteed to stop the crashes only lessened them. I just about had it with the card and considered to RMA it.

One thing that worried me about RMAing the card is that they would test the card and see that it worked and send me back the same card again. Because of this, I decided to run the heaven benchmark and surprisingly my card did not freeze during this intense benchmark after running it for long periods of time.

It got me thinking that maybe the card didn't have a physical defect in it and it could be fixable so I started googling again.

By luck, and only found it by searching a users past posts, I came across a thread about instability because of the Boost in the 970 GTX and other models. Basically, the core voltage jumps from like .85 to 1.2 volts and this somehow causes driver errors. What makes it worse is if the game is CPU bottlenecked, like many games are on my i5-2500.

Here is the link to post if you're are interested in what causes it.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-instability-in-low-utilisation-situations/1/

I decided to do the recommended fix in that thread, which is to force the voltage at a constant 1.2 volts and this fixed my dreaded computer freezes while gaming. I don't even have to raise the fan speed to 80-100%.

I did it with a custom bios, by just changing that one value in the picture below. You EVGA people can maybe do this with kboost, which I could not use with my ASUS. Kboost forces full voltage all the time I believe.

It seems that this problem has happened to a lot of people and I am wondering if any of you have random crashes or freezes in games . Maybe you could try this fix to see if it works.

This issue is probably in all models like the 970 gtx, 980 gtx, Ti versions etc. It is funny to read so many past posts about people not finding why their card was crashing and this was most guaranteed to be the reason. They also say that some games work while other don't, because if the game is CPU intensive it will cause your video card to scale back more often.

Simply put this is an Nvidia issue with their power saving features, not to be blamed on MSI , Asus etc.

The only drawback is that my vcore is always at 1.2 volts, not sure if that is a problem, but it sure beats the constant crashes in games.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Wonder if it can it be corrected or reduced by selecting "Prefer Max Performance" in the power options settings in the nvidia drivers or if it is unrelated?

Very interesting. Wonder if it can it be corrected or reduced by selecting "Prefer Max Performance" in the power options settings in the nvidia drivers or if it is unrelated?
Pretty sure the performance settings adjust how much time the gpu spends in higher boost modes, how quickly it reacts to load changes and how much it actually boosts. There ia probably no change in voltage at the same frequency no mattwr which performance setting is used. Lower voltage would cause instability if the same frequency was being used. Here, probably, bios had a "safe" voltage that was supposed to work perfectly with cards of varying efficiency.

Just fyi, Kboost works just fine on my Asus card.

OH ok, I read where it was exclusive to EVGA so I figure they rigged it to only work with their cards.

But I believe Kboost will force your voltage at 1.2 volts all the time when activated so this should stop the crashing.

The way to check this is to use a software like HWinfo to see if the voltage is bouncing up and down.

My computer is now 100% crash free after many hours of gaming. This was compared to a crash every 10-30 minutes.

So I can confirm that raising the vcore voltage actually fixed my 970 gtx in game crashes.

Words can't describe how nice it is to be able to play for hours without crashing.

Wow, I hadn't heard about this problem.

Glad you were able to finally track it down and get back to gaming!

These cards are defective. If the card can't handle changing power states with normal drivers and settings, it's an issue. I RMA'd a card for this in the pay and the replacement never had the issue. This problem can come up often with high overclocks and old games where the GPU utilization is all over the place as well. Forcing the card to run at a specific speed or voltage can make a fine band aid, however the issue is still present.

Back