Final Thread Before Order

Software:
if you have access to another computer.....download your video and sound drivers and utilities from their respective sites. Put them on a thumb drive and transfer them to the documents section once the OS is loaded. Install from there after you have loaded the MB chipset drivers and LAN from the MB disc. Just saves time browsing the net.
Then connect to the net and update the OS.

CPU fan: The Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 has PWM control.....essentially a four pin connector that plugs into the "cpu fan" header on the MB. In the BIOS you can enable ASUS 'Q-Fan" which will control the fan speed automatically; but if you OC the CPU you'll want to run the fan full tilt.

Case Fans: That ASUS board should have a butt load of fan headers on the MB. I usually prefer to plug my case fans into the MB. It cuts down on clutter and some of the fans can be controlled that way in the BIOS. It's hard to hide molex connectors and they are never where you need them. You would simply cut the wires to the molex and just use the small three hole plugs connecting them to the MB headers.

RAM: there are pretty good prices on Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 memory modules around. This gives you a little more headroom when you OC the CPU. I have these modules and they are very stable. But you wont lose using DDR2 800 Hz either.

generally this is what i do before i touch any computer part. Go wash my hands with water (electricity hates water and water nullifies it) dry my hands with a towel. Plug in the power cord into your pc and touch the case with your "wrists" while using your hands for everything. i do this whenever im about to touch a new peice of hardware, and then let go of the case to avoid "accidentally" shocking the hardware. And as a rule of thumb, you never wanna be wearing a sweater while working with computer stuff. Take them off before you wash your hands with water.

Make sure you are naked, earth yourself using your preferred method (touching the case with the power plug in the PSU is fine, I personally prefer to stick a screwdriver into the earth socket directly) and work on your build worry-free.

Alright guys. I'm ordering tonight.

I'm gonna go with the Mushkin, and the GTX 260.

I'll keep you posted on the build situation.

Thanks again for all the help, and wish me luck...

Hey guys.

I have a quick question. The Hard drive I ordered was an OEM and so was the Disk Drive. They are both SATA.

I know my motherboard comes with 1 SATA cord, and it also comes with another "FDD Cable", is the FDD cable the same thing as the SATA, or will I be short one SATA cable?

I know since the HDD and disk drive are OEM they don't come with the cables.

Here is the link to my mobo, it has pictures that shows the cables it comes with: ASUS P5Q Pro

Will I need another SATA cable?

Also, I ordered the GTX 260 because it was cheaper than the HD 4870, within 10% performance of 4870 (better with Crysis, which is what I want to play), and evga has great customer service, plus I might want to step up.

The DVD Burner and your Hard Drive both use SATA. Your mobo should come with two SATA cables. You're good.

Hey guys.

I have a quick question. The Hard drive I ordered was an OEM and so was the Disk Drive. They are both SATA.

I know my motherboard comes with 1 SATA cord, and it also comes with another "FDD Cable", is the FDD cable the same thing as the SATA, or will I be short one SATA cable?

I know since the HDD and disk drive are OEM they don't come with the cables.

Here is the link to my mobo, it has pictures that shows the cables it comes with: ASUS P5Q Pro

Will I need another SATA cable?

You shouldn't need to use the FDD cord for anything other than the FDD. All you need for your hard disk is a SATA cable (provided from the mobo box) and the SATA power (provided by the PSU).

Personally, I would spend a bit more from your current choice in HDD and get the WD6400AAKS, that's known to be very reliable and fast, due to its simple two-platter design. :)

Have fun with your first build! :D

THat board you're getting has 4 sata cables.

BTW, get the 500mb 32mb cache HD rather than the 500mb 16MB cache one. They are the exact same price.

OS[/B]:Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (I will upgrade to 64bit later to get all of my 4bg of RAM)

If you have a legit copy of Ultimate, it has a disc for 32 bit and 64 bit. And if you have both disks,
why not start with the 64 bit version so you don't have to reformat?

64 bit drivers are not as dodgy as they once were.

HD 4870 over GTX 260 for sure.

I've already ordered the GTX 260, I'm happy with my decision it is just a little worse than the 4870 and it was cheaper. Everyone freaks out about the 4870 b/c ati beat nvidia finally. In reality they are within 10% of each other in performance.

I don't have a "legit copy" of windows. I have the student upgrade edition.

I refuse to blow $90 on the 64bit upgrade through my university.

Thanks for the answer on the SATA situation btw!

All my stuff has been shipped, I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for the help

Am I crazy?????

When is this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130372

Cheaper than this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102748

or did you get some crazy discount I did not see???:eek::eek:

About SATA......most MBs have at least two SATA cables in the box. Most ASUS motherboards, unless they are ultra cheap or "open box" will have 4. Your link shows 4 cables.
What a nice MB......it's begging for Crossfire.......you shoulda gotta the 4870 and then another........muhhhhhhhhahahahahahaha.:D The 260 will be fine (until you see the 4870 X2 in action......all the cool kids will have one;) ) Have fun.

If you get jammed up, PM me. I have a bunch of them lying around you can have for the price of two stamps.

Am I crazy?????

When is this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130372

Cheaper than this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102748

or did you get some crazy discount I did not see???:eek::eek:

No, your not crazy...yet.

I got the GTX 260 for $250.00 dollars. It was a special end of month deal, plus it was a factory overclocked model!

Anyway thanks for the advice about the mobo, and cables. I looked harder and you're right, it has 4.

Thanks guys, and yes, I will be very jealous when the 4870x2 beast comes out...

Your list doesn't look half bad, however, if this is your first build I would reccomend that you look into getting an after market fan/heatsink. The stock Intel coolers are A PAIN IN THE A$$ to install.

Edit: NVM, I see you already did that.

As others suggested you probably should of went with the 4870. Doesn't make any sense to go with the poor performing card (gtx260) when the 4870 performs better for less. Plus the gtx260 has known issues....good luck.

The memories from the 8800GT days are coming back to me. Back in those days the HD3870 is cheaper than the 8800GT and the performance is also not far behind the 8800GT. However the 8800GT was said to be a better buy because of the superior AA performance. Now the situation is reversed and the HD4870 actually has a better AA performance than the GTX260.

Well guys, I have my first problem/question...

I got my case today: NZXT Tempset

I do not have any of my other components yet. I think they are coming tomorrow.

So, I tried out all of my fans, using my other computers molex and 3pin connectors, and they all work...BUT...they move SLLLOOOOOWWW. I mean it feels like they hardly move any air at all.

I looked at some of the reviews online at newegg, and they all say how great the fans are, and that they are soooo silent. Well they are silent, but it doesn't feel like they move alot of air.

Is it possible that the fans are only operating at half capacity and I need to speed them up? If so, how do I do this?

Maybe the fans are good enough, its hard to know for sure I guess...

Any advice?

If you are REALLY sure you don't care about noise, then I like Panaflo's, and the Scythe Ultra Kaze fans can move some serious air. I've used Panaflo's for years, but I've found that as I've gotten older, the more the noise bothers me, so I don't use them anymore. That Thermaltake you're looking at has some really nice stats, but I'd really like to hear one for myself. 78 CFM at 21 Db is hard for me to believe. I just bought a few of these. I like the stats and SilentPC gave them a really good review. If you do decide to go with the 120mm x 38mm fans, make sure they will fit your case since they are thicker.

Back