• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Final Review: New Build

Galael

n00b
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
7
This is somewhat time sensitive as I plan to purchase everything tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I understand that this limits the responses I will receive. Just wanted to avoid any major errors I might have committed.

Thus far, I have the following setup planned:

COOLER MASTER Praetorian 730 Silver- $125 from mwave
Antec 550 Truepower PSU - $88 from mwave
AMD Opteron 148- $229 from mwave
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert - $199 from newegg
G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) - $194 from newegg
EVGA Geforce 7800GT N517 - $314 from newegg
WD Caviar 320GB 16MB Cache - $149 from zipzoomfly
NEC Silver ND-3550A - $42 from newegg
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - $107 from mwave
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 - $131 from mwave

Total: $1578

Any suggestions or changes I should make? I am slightly unsure about the PSU, so any reassurances there would be comforting. Also, I seem to recall having heard mention of some new DVD writer that was coming out with better recording speeds? Am I correct in this?

Otherwise, thanks for any and all assistance.
 
You have an overclocker's board, and an overclocker's CPU; where the cooling? If you're not going to overclock, why the enthusiast's hardcore stuff?

And this comes up a lot, but do you hate onboard sound? Notice it, (though side-by-side comparisons, sure, anyone can do that, but really notice it, like "damn, that's some shitty on-board audio you're hitting us with, dude," and dude says, "how'd you even notice,")? If you're driving $400 speakers or headphones, don't delay with the purchase. If you're into the performance gains, spend the $107 on a better processor.
 
Back
Top