Final Raid 5 list. Comment before I buy, please!

Step 1) Describe your power supply. Make/model, amperages, wattage.

2) Describe your cooling setup. Are these drives going in 3.5" bays? Right next to each other or with fans? What kind of fans? How many? How many other case fans? What are ambient temps like?

Those drives are very quiet. However, I haven't heard back from Samsung with regard to their error recovery status; see this thread on the matter. Email has been dispatched (on the 10th) but I haven't heard from them. I wouldn't worry overmuch about this, though; it appears to have been a WD-only problem. I'll be sure to let you know if I hear back from them in the negative, but that seems very unlikely.

 
Once again Mage to the rescue!

I am going to run down the list of everything I have.
Antec P180 case with the 3 supplied 120mm fans. 1 HD cooling and 2 exhaust(1 rear and 1 top)

4 HDs mounted in the lower cage with space between them and 120mm right behind them pulling air through HD then to the PSU
3 HDs in the upper section. 1 is for OS

Vantec 520w silent power Review and Specs Maybe not the worlds greatest psu but seems decent enough, and has had good reviews.

Tyan MPX 2462(?) rev 1.02 motherbord
Dual AMD Athlon MP1900's with Artic Cooling Copper Lites
2 1gb 2100 ECC registered ram
I DVD+RW
FX5950 Ultra with Zalman silent cooler
Haugepauge 150MCE
Turtle Beach sound card
Ambient temps will vary, but I have central heat and air, and I dont pay for utilities. :)

I have room for one intake 120mm fan in front of each HD tray if needed, but I am trying to keep the system some what on the quiet side.
 
Sounds like you've got a good plan then. 120s are nice, because you can get low-flow (read: quiet) fans and still get decent airflow thru them. Go for it, and post pics :D

 
Am I reading that right? You're getting a PCIe card for a mainboard that doesn't have any PCIe slots.
 
Firstly, wrong RAID controller. The S2462's PCI64/66 5V NOT PCI-X NOT PCI-EXPRESS.
Let me say that again.
PCI64 66MHz 5V!!!

Any card you want to use MUST BE 64/66 5V OR BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE.

Furthermore, unless you just want RAID5 for the size, forget anything from HighPoint. The chip on that card can't break 80MB/s, with the drives you've chosen, 50MB/s would be lucky.

Your choices are the LSI 150-N family or the Arecas.
The Broadcoms will not work, they are not backwards compatible.
 
AreEss said:
Furthermore, unless you just want RAID5 for the size, forget anything from HighPoint. The chip on that card can't break 80MB/s, with the drives you've chosen, 50MB/s would be lucky.
Bullshit. Tweakers.net got not 50, not 80, but 350 MB/s out of the 1820. Unless they completely, utterly changed the architecture betweeen the 1820 and the 2220, this card will too.

However, good catch on the pci-express/pci-x thing. I hope I didn't lead the OP too far astray :(

 
unhappy_mage said:
Bullshit. Tweakers.net got not 50, not 80, but 350 MB/s out of the 1820. Unless they completely, utterly changed the architecture betweeen the 1820 and the 2220, this card will too.

I'll have to dredge up my notes. But for the record, uhm, yes, the architecture would have to be completely changed between a PCI-X and PCI-Express card. Though frankly, I don't buy the 350MB/s numbers on Tweakers for a heartbeat. 350MB/s with no cache out of 4 weakling Raptors? No. Absolutely not. Calling bullshit right there. There is shenanigans. I have Ultra320 1+1's that don't peak that high on 15KRPM drives one per channel.

unhappy_mage said:
However, good catch on the pci-express/pci-x thing. I hope I didn't lead the OP too far astray :(

Yay for the downfalls of PCI. PCI-X and PCI64/33 and PCI64/66 look so much alike, except for notch placement. And even then, 3.3V vs 5V vs universal isn't exactly clear either.
That's before we get into the fun that is the S2462's PCI64 bus. Which doesn't exactly work as expected or advertized all the time. And I mixed up my model numbers, but I blame that on the insomnia. Aaaanyways.
It's touchy. And I forgot to include the disclaimer, which goes something like this:
I have a couple S2462's. I know these boards.
I sure as hell haven't tested ANY of these cards in it. They might work. They might not! Doesn't matter too much since the PCI64 bus only runs at 33MHz anyways - whoops! (And yes, that includes the entire bus!)
Make sure you aren't gonna get hit with a restock fee before you order.
 
Back
Top