• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

final questions for my build...

iamnamja

n00b
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
22
Hey guys... thanks for all your past help in helping me narrow my selections down... although i still have a bit more questions... so here it goes...

What i'm planning on buying:
CPU: Pentium 3.2E socket 478
PSU: Antec NeoPower 480
Memory: Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 1GB(512x2) PC3200
Mobo: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

People keep telling me to get the LGA 775... so with that config...
CPU: Pentium 3.0 LGA775
PSU: Antec NeoPower 480
Memory: Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 1GB(512x2) PC3200
Mobo: ??? need recommendations

I also need recommendations for a heatsink/fan... I don't want to run with stock fan.... I want to make sure my CPU runs cool....

Another problem that i'm facing... although i'm not 100% sure i'll be doing this... but this is what i want to do... I want to setup 2 SATA hdd on raid from mobo... and i also i have a PCI raid controller, and setup 4 hdd's on a raid.. plus one additional single drive... so... i'm planning on running 7 hard drives... would my power supply be enough?

I currently have a radeon 9800 pro... so i see no reason for replacing that.... and i have a dvd player... and a cdrw... so i don't plan on getting any additional drives....

Please review this for me and tell me what you guys think...

Oh, and on the side note... soooo many people recommended me getting AMD64... although i am very tempted... i feel that it'll be best for me to get an intel just so that i feel a bit more secure on my part ;) Anyways... I would love as much input as possible since i'm planning on buying all the parts tonight... Thanks guys!
 
if i were to go with AMD64... then what's the biggest difference between 754, and 939? and which should i buy?

and what mobo?
 
939 is newer http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=247 you can see a little comparison on the chart there. In theory it should stay new longer than the 754. I love my AMD and i'm sure you won't regret it ;)

939s also support dual-channel memory while 754s don't

Edit: your vid card is AGP isn't it...


Good AGP mobos... I use an ASUS A8V deluxe which is pretty nice, otherwise go with motherboards that are AGP, support the RAM you are looking for etc. and are socket 939, companies I'd recommend would be ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, SOLTEK, should be ok with them.


Edit: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=866585 consult that thread too while you're looking for a mobo.
 
Thanks guys for all your input... I've decided... although this deviates a bit from my original thoughts... i've chose to go with AMD64... this is what i bought... tell me if you see any problems so that i can change before the order goes through...

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500 939 Socket
PSU: Antec NeoPower 480W
Mobo: MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI (although i wanted non-SLI... it was out of stock...)
RAM: Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 1GB(512x2) PC3200
Heatsink/fan: Zalman CPU Cooler

As i mentioned i have radeon 9800 pro which i feel is still good enough for me to use.... and i have hard drives... and such that i'lll be just transfering over from my other computer...

please tell me what you guys think... and if there are any chages that i would need to make... thanks guys!
 
AMD64 :cool: except your 9800 is going to be AGP and your motherboard is going to be PCI-E
 
shoot your right... what was i thinking...... damn... alright i'll go ahead and cancel my order... but any good recommendations for an agp mobo?
 
I did look at the forum... but i'm still a bit confused as to which one to get.... sofar, its down to these...

MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA

ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro

ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro


and any other recommendations would be great. thanks~
 
I have an ASUS A8V deluxe and it went together pretty nice. I've also heard good things about the MSI, so it's up to you I would choose one of those two myself.
 
just worried about MSI a bit... since on the other forum people are saying it takes a bit to get it to being stable... i want a ROCK SOLID mobo... heh
 
My ASUS was easy to setup and has been running fine since (not even a month yet though, hehe) I think it's pretty solid.
 
Back
Top