Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Offical Benchmark Released

Got in myself. Had a HELL of a time finding my key authenticator though lol. Also had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to access the Beta forums. To anyone else having issues, I was using my full email address to log in to the Sony account maintenance page, but you don't use the @whatever.com part for logging into the Beta forums, just the username portion.

Getting the game client updated. Wondering if I should break out the wireless xbox PC controller for this as well. I'll have to pick up a long HDMI cable and string it over to the TV (hoping the cats don't take it as an invitation).

<Removed Noobish SS>

Last edited:
Getting the game client updated. Wondering if I should break out the wireless xbox PC controller for this as well. I'll have to pick up a long HDMI cable and string it over to the TV (hoping the cats don't take it as an invitation).

Dude, that's the old 1.0 client that you're updating. :(

I was excited for this game, the last ff game I played in full was ff9 on the original playstation.

skipped 11 so I went in blind. And in my eagerness and anticipation, I dropped 80 dollars on a collectors edition...

It's like I took 80 dollars and lit it on fire. Worst game I have ever played, in my 30 years of life. If I lived to see another thousand years, I don't think I'd come across a game as bad as ffXIV

Don't expect too much, the remake is going to be mediocre at best. Judging from the material available to public and the benchmark graphics its a huge downgrade from the old version, most likely to fit the 8 years old PS3 hardware. If you hated the old FFXIV I'd suggest to stay away from this one too.

Don't expect too much, the remake is going to be mediocre at best. Judging from the material available to public and the benchmark graphics its a huge downgrade from the old version, most likely to fit the 8 years old PS3 hardware. If you hated the old FFXIV I'd suggest to stay away from this one too.

You're smoking crack. Don't forget, it's not even completed yet, so it's not fare to make such a damning judgement.

Friend of mine was in the alpha as a legacy member. He hated FFXIV as much as I did. They made some very minor steps towards fixing the issues before scrapping everything about the game and starting from scratch. His opinion of the game?

"Can't wait for the next phase of the beta to start!"

They apparently fixed everything about the game. Better graphics, better combat, more to do, a storyline, a bajillion times better GUI, etc. We'll see on Friday if I agree with him or not, but I'm willing to give S-E a chance.

Friend of mine was in the alpha as a legacy member. He hated FFXIV as much as I did. They made some very minor steps towards fixing the issues before scrapping everything about the game and starting from scratch. His opinion of the game?

They apparently fixed everything about the game. Better graphics, better combat, more to do, a storyline, a bajillion times better GUI, etc. We'll see on Friday if I agree with him or not, but I'm willing to give S-E a chance.

That's what I've been hearing from people. It sounds very promising, considering the original thing released was "meh" at best.

You're smoking crack. Don't forget, it's not even completed yet, so it's not fare to make such a damning judgement.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of Square Enix and fan of FFXIV. I played the rather bad v1.0 for a long time and I really want A Realm Reborn to become a very successful MMO. However i'm realistic and think white knight'ing it up doesn't help the game much. Fact is the graphics took a big hit in favor for consoles (1.0 was PC only), i'm talking about visual quality and not redesign of the areas.

About not being finished....well yea but beta is usually all about bug fixing and adjustments. I honestly doubt there will be high resolution textures and other stuff like that at launch. A DX11 update has been confirmed to be released 6 months after the game is out so probably early next year.

NDA is not being lifted until phase 3 I suggest you get on the beta forums to see what the general mood is like.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of Square Enix and fan of FFXIV. I played the rather bad v1.0 for a long time and I really want A Realm Reborn to become a very successful MMO. However i'm realistic and think white knight'ing it up doesn't help the game much. Fact is the graphics took a big hit in favor for consoles (1.0 was PC only), i'm talking about visual quality and not redesign of the areas.

About not being finished....well yea but beta is usually all about bug fixing and adjustments. I honestly doubt there will be high resolution textures and other stuff like that at launch. A DX11 update has been confirmed to be released 6 months after the game is out so probably early next year.

NDA is not being lifted until phase 3 I suggest you get on the beta forums to see what the general mood is like.

1.0 WAS also set to be released for the PS3, but because of the disastrous launch of the game and the lack of content/players, they had to put it on hold and decided to fix the game instead before even proceeding with the work on the PS3. They decided to put in a new game engine in instead of continuing to patch the game, to fix the the garbage before patch 1.19. (The final patch was 1.23, IIRC)

If it turns out just as bad... I think you might need to have a talk with your friend about disowning him. If his taste is that bad you won't be able to trust anything he says.

I told myself if I get that beta invite I would give it a second chance. Still haven't received an email from them yet.

If you value your sanity, and/or are actually interested in enjoying this game at launch, stay far FAR away from the Beta forums, especially the General Discussion section. It's a cesspool filled with trolls, malcontents, and obstinate folks stuck in the past that want the remake to be little more than FFXI with better graphics, or to have FFXIV 1.0 back. There are some good posts and discussions, but they get drowned out by the idiots, and most of the level-headed folks like myself know better than to try to steer them back to reality. You end up with a VERY vocal minority of the overall Beta tester-base running amok that ends up being the "general mood" that you describe.

I'm no white-knight, but I do like the direction that the game is heading. For an early Beta, I'm actually impressed with the way things are turning out. Sure, there is still work needing to be done, and it's definitely far from finished, but it's in a MUCH better state than FFXIV 1.0 Beta was at the same point in time. For what it's worth, I played 1.0 for about 6 months after release, and I have enjoyed the few weekends that Beta has been open far more than the entirety of the time spent in 1.0.

stay far FAR away from the Beta forums, especially the General Discussion section. It's a cesspool filled with trolls, malcontents, and obstinate folks stuck in the past that want the remake to be little more than FFXI with better graphics, or to have FFXIV 1.0 back. There are some good posts and discussions, but they get drowned out by the idiots, and most of the level-headed folks like myself know better than to try to steer them back to reality.

Yea thats true, their forums turned into the worst place on the internet thanks to all the idiots, I mean both fanboys and haters, its not helping the beta.

Did you watch today's live letter stream? They showed more about thanalan and limsa areas, looked great so far but some of the movement animations need to be changed.

I wonder if they cut the budget for ARR when that new SE CEO is in charge in 2 months.

P.S.: FFXI was as good as it can be, I played it for 6 years but i'm aware its concept can't be sold anymore these days, to achieve something you literally had to play 24/7 for years. MMO's are going casual and FFXIV's new direction clearly shows that. I'm fine with it as long they keep difficult content at the same level or higher than 1.23 was, Ifrit Extreme or Van Darnus hard mode for example.

Yeah, I did catch a little bit of it this morning before heading off to work, and thought those new areas were looking fantastic. Can't wait for Phase 3 sometime next month to get my hands dirty in them.

The character movement animations that you saw in the live stream are my biggest gripe at the moment. They definitely need some work, and seeing that they showcased a still early build in the stream, I'm sure that they'll be addressed.

You monsters...playing in the beta. While we have to listen to the awesomeness.

Anyone got a key from originally registering for beta that they no longer want?

Edit* I wouldn't mind paying for a key either.

Last edited:
Yea you can buy your own house or buy one together with your free company which is like your endgame linkshell or guild. Your character stats are going to be affected by the furnitures you got in your house as well. Yoshida mentioned somewhere its going to be very expensive, more of a long-term goal in the game. Currency of all 1.0/legacy players will be cut by 90% so the game doesn't start with super rich people who abused the economy of the old game before.

Played a bit this morning before work. Without breaking the NDA, all I can say is that THIS is the FFXIV I wanted. It feels like a Final Fantasy game. It's polished, fun, and engaging. The new GUI is beautiful. The UI is fluid. The combat (at level 1) is fun, if simple. Kind of a mix of WoW and FFXI. I'm going to play a heck of a lot more over the weekend, but if it's anything like my initial taste, I'm almost certain I'll end up purchasing the game.

I'm really, really hoping that they keep the game full of quests to do and have a concrete main story line to progress through.

Played a bit this morning before work. Without breaking the NDA, all I can say is that THIS is the FFXIV I wanted. It feels like a Final Fantasy game. It's polished, fun, and engaging. The new GUI is beautiful. The UI is fluid. The combat (at level 1) is fun, if simple. Kind of a mix of WoW and FFXI. I'm going to play a heck of a lot more over the weekend, but if it's anything like my initial taste, I'm almost certain I'll end up purchasing the game.

I'm really, really hoping that they keep the game full of quests to do and have a concrete main story line to progress through.

...AHHHH! MUST HAVE.

Quite sad that I didn't get a beta key, but I actually don't mind waiting for a finished product.

Not interested in beta playing either. The finished product will have bugs enough and need patching and tweaking. Would like to see the NDA come to an end so peeps can talk freely about the game. Looks pretty cool from the benchmark.

Wish I could get in beta, but I haven't heard anything so far. The benchmark makes it look promising.

Heres the beta roadmap again, in case anyone didn't see it yet:
betaroadmap.jpg

Back