Final Fantasy XIII

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
200723b.jpg

Game Cover Lifted From Gamestop.

Just preordered my copy. Game release is March 9th.

Preorder page for Gamestop.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=200723

Official Site.
http://www.finalfantasyxiii.com/#/content/Home

In Other News..
http://kotaku.com/5469087/final-fantasy-xiii-gets-title-sponsorship-of-nba-all+star-event

360 Bundle
http://kotaku.com/5469894/360-scores-the-only-final-fantasy-xiii-bundle-outside-of-japan

Last edited:
Am I the only one losing interest in JRPGs? ~10-15 years ago was the sweet spot for JRPGs IMO (FFVI, FFVII, Star Ocean 2, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross).

PS: Still picking up a copy of FFXIII though.

Meh.

I'm not excited at all over FF13 but since JRPGs are rare-ish I'm still picking it up. I just hope the character interaction isn't as sappy/cringe worthy as it seems.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I used to be a FF junkie dating back to the NES games, but lately I've just lost interest. The MMO games and X2 just took things in the wrong direction. 12 might've been a return to form, but it still wasn't as good as the previous generation on the PS1.
I'll probably pick this one up eventually, but I no longer really feel obligated to get it. I skipped 2-3 days of school back when 7 and 8 came out. I think I'm just bored with it. Hopefully there are no more stupid card games and blitzball in this one.

i will wait for some reviews, i would love to get a good FF game, but i haven't liked any since i think... 5/6

I was pretty psyched for this but after hearing more about it, I think I'm skipping it. Hardly consider what it's offering as an RPG.

Come on Bigdog... Does it really bother you that much that he listed the 360 link? No need to turn this into a system war thread. We have plenty of those. :)

I am going to wait and see on this. Some of my best gaming memories are playing FF, but the last couple just didn't feel the same. I didn't even finish X-2 or XII because I lost interest. So I am going to wait and see what the reviews (both user and "professional") look like before I make a decision.

I've yet to find any other JRPG's with the same level of polish as the FF games. It's the only series I ALWAYS day one, and will continue to do so.

Is there a CE edition that's going to be released?

I've yet to find any other JRPG's with the same level of polish as the FF games. It's the only series I ALWAYS day one, and will continue to do so.

same, will buy this and all FFs down the pipe no matter what. I'd be psyched if we got a limited edition PS3, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Come on Bigdog... Does it really bother you that much that he listed the 360 link? No need to turn this into a system war thread.

i was under the impression that bigdogchris finally threw in the towel, guess i was wrong.

meh i imported this copy back in december only to find myself dissapointed
only thing i liked about it was combat system

meh i imported this copy back in december only to find myself dissapointed
only thing i liked about it was combat system

Good! I'm so relieved to hear they aren't fucking up the combat system this time around. Fuck you FF12.

i was under the impression that bigdogchris finally threw in the towel, guess i was wrong.

You would think he would have been more interested in changing the 'etailer' given the sig, but who knows.

I am excited for this one, but the last few FFs have let me down. 10 was ok, but I hated the main character and the story tried a bit too hard to be cerebral without ever actually doing so. Didn't like the MMO. 12 was fun, but the combat system could be obnoxious at times. So I haven't had one I really loved since 9, but who knows. That said I have never got a FF I didn't at least enjoy, so this will still be a day 1 pickup for me.

Am I the only one losing interest in JRPGs? ~10-15 years ago was the sweet spot for JRPGs IMO (FFVI, FFVII, Star Ocean 2, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross).

PS: Still picking up a copy of FFXIII though.

No, I've also felt the same way. The entire art direction alone has been a turn off for me. Couple that with a less compelling storyline with less likable characters, I haven't been excited for any modern JRPGs. But with that said, I'll also be picking up FFXIII because it's pretty much guaranteed to have a standard level of quality I'd expect from all games.

I don't think it's just about nostalgia either. For one, my favorite FF is VI, and I played through that game when it was far past its prime with emulators (around 2000). FFVII and CT a few years too late as well. I've even played through FFVI again this past December and still love it, if not more so.

I'm a little torn since I arrived on the JRPG scene late. I enjoyed the Tales games I've played (Abyss and Vesperia). I actually liked Star Ocean for the 360 a lot, got addicted to massively pumping my characters up for the post game content. Other modern JRPG's I've dabbled with are Last Remnant (ok game... bad on 360, better on PC), Infiniute Undiscovery (terrible), Eternal Sonata (reasonable), Lost Odyssey (good game).

I played some of the older FF games recently in hopes of seeing what all this FF stuff was about, but I couldn't really get into them. A notable miss for me was FF12 surprisingly. I heard so much good stuff about it, but I didn't like the combat system, didn't like the party system, and most of all, I hated the main character with a passion. I now have no idea what to expect from 13. I'll most likely still get it, but from what I've seen of the trailers... I have a bad feeling...

I've read some pretty bad things about FF 13 with regards to the japanese version. From what i've read its massively linear and has unofficially gone 'budget' already with japanese retailers dropping the price to shift unsold copies. Even die hard FF otaku's are avoiding this one. Am i gonna buy this when it comes out? nah. Will i wait a couple of weeks till its a £10 bargain bin buy. Oh yeah!.

Have you ever played the Chrono series, or Dragon Quest series, or some earlier JRPGs?

No, I've also felt the same way. The entire art direction alone has been a turn off for me. Couple that with a less compelling storyline with less likable characters, I haven't been excited for any modern JRPGs. But with that said, I'll also be picking up FFXIII because it's pretty much guaranteed to have a standard level of quality I'd expect from all games.

I don't think it's just about nostalgia either. For one, my favorite FF is VI, and I played through that game when it was far past its prime with emulators (around 2000). FFVII and CT a few years too late as well. I've even played through FFVI again this past December and still love it, if not more so.

Yep, FFVI is my favorite as well. The plot and characters are unforgettable. I beat it countless of times (on SNES, PS1, GBA), last time being FFVI Advance on the GBA. I really hope that Square makes a remake of FFVI for the DS (like they did with FFIV). I'll actually pick up a DSi then.

I've read some pretty bad things about FF 13 with regards to the japanese version. From what i've read its massively linear and has unofficially gone 'budget' already with japanese retailers dropping the price to shift unsold copies. Even die hard FF otaku's are avoiding this one. Am i gonna buy this when it comes out? nah. Will i wait a couple of weeks till its a £10 bargain bin buy. Oh yeah!.

Umm.... it's Final Fantasy, it's supposed to be very linear. If you want something less linear, then there is Fallout, Fable, Elder Scrolls, and a host of other Western RPGs. Also, from what I hear, it's selling pretty well. Broke quite a few records for sales. The sales did die off after the first couple of weeks, but that's always the case with FF games in Japan (almost everyone buys the game when it's first released).

From Destructoid:

All of the people that quit playing Final Fantasy XIII after 5 hours will tell you that it's a linear game. If they would have continued on, they would have found a part of the game so vast that I got lost in it multiple times. The sheer scope of this world is something that has to be seen to be believed.

lol I dont care, I haven't gotten an FF game in years this will be a day one buy for me, already pre-ordered.

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but what have reviewers been saying about the 360/PS3 differences, if any? Did it even release in Japan on both systems?

I'll probably pick this up for PS3, but want to make sure it doesn't have any serious flaws.

Ryan Clements of IGN (yeah, I know) states: "...the 360 version was noticeably less crisp than its PS3 counterpart..."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1061287p1.html

He tracked down the "Lightning Bus" and hopped aboard. Inside the bus, Square has multiple copies running for people to check out and apparently it was easy to make a side-by-side comparison.

I used to be a FF junkie dating back to the NES games, but lately I've just lost interest. The MMO games and X2 just took things in the wrong direction. 12 might've been a return to form, but it still wasn't as good as the previous generation on the PS1.

Same. I used to be a Final Fantasy fan until Square Enix came out with Final Fantasy X-2 and killed the series for me for good. :/

I've always loved FF. 12 killed it for me though, to the point I may not even buy 13 when it comes out. I loved all the old ones though. Everything since X has been bad, but 12 makes me not even want to buy this game at release. 12's combat system was... it was just horrible...

The only horrible FF was XI in my opinion. I liked the gambit system from XII although the battles were way too easy with it throughout the entire game. I preordered a while ago.

This is a day one purchase for me. After reading destructoid's
Ten things I loved about Final Fantasy XIII it sounds like it is going to be a really solid game. Here are the two things that sold me:

Boss battles: Final Fantasy XIII is packed with huge, epic, ball-busting and immensely gratifying boss battles.

Battle system: Simply put, Final Fantasy XIII's battle system really makes the game. Fast-paced, challenging, and fresh is how I'd describe it. It's crazy and never boring.....

The last two FFs I didnt like were FFXII and FFX-2 and it was because of the combat systems in the game but it sounds like FFXIII has a really awesome combat system and I have high hopes for it, hopefully Square will not let me down. If they do it will be the last FF I get for a while.

How could you not like FFX-2's battle system? As campy and juvenile as the rest of the game was, the battle system was super solid.

lightning_snow_vanille-620x.jpg

I won't be playing it. I'm 90% that man's wearing a ladies undershirt.

I'm gonna play it, I don't care if they have hermas or crossdressers in it, it's a Final Fantasy game, and they always try to do weird and different shit in their games that you won't see anywhere else. So fuck all the naysayers, I've already pre ordered Amazon it.

Your links are broken... and you should have a NSFW warning on the last one.

How could you not like FFX-2's battle system? As campy and juvenile as the rest of the game was, the battle system was super solid.

x2

as crappy as the game was, the battle system (from what I recall) was identical to X's (which is more or less, classic FF)

I'm not sold of this one yet. XII was such a letdown... hopefully the person that came up with the battle system for that game was 'let go' lol. I'll wait to see how well it's recieved before hopping onboard.

Strange, they work in neither Firefox or IE for me. It's like you've copy pasted shortened versions from another site.

Back