Final Fantasy XIII: 360 vs PS3

Yeah, that is the info I caught. Kind of sly of them not really pointing that out, but I guess it is sort of like the softer [H] benchmarks where you try to get them to look similar enough for gameplay where people might not notice.

PS3 1280x720
360 1024x576

Isn't 576 PAL resolution? It's kind of sad that a so-called 'HD' console has been reduced to playing games at SD resolutions because it can't keep up graphically any more.

If FFXIII actually were worth playing (so far reviews are anything but enthusiastic), I'm pretty sure I'd get it for the PS3 :)

Meh. I am really excited about this game, but after looking at those Xbox 360 screenshots - I think I'll wait till I buy a PS3 before getting the game. They've worked on this game for years, and I'd like to experience it in its original goodness.

I've decided that I'm waiting to buy this game, maybe only a month or two, or maybe next winter. With work the way it is right now, and the fact that I should buy it on the PS3 which totally limits my ability to play it the way I'd want, I think my time will be better spent in Bad Company 2.

I don't really have the time to put into a long RPG right now.

Isn't 576 PAL resolution? It's kind of sad that a so-called 'HD' console has been reduced to playing games at SD resolutions because it can't keep up graphically any more.

If FFXIII actually were worth playing (so far reviews are anything but enthusiastic), I'm pretty sure I'd get it for the PS3 :)

It's due to the storage woes of DVDs requiring undesirable levels of compression; not some fanboy-imagined massive inferiority of the 360's hardware.

Why don't you try to keep up?

It's due to the storage woes of DVDs requiring undesirable levels of compression; not some fanboy-imagined massive inferiority of the 360's hardware.

Uhm... PC games do generally come on one DVD and can play at better than 1080p resolutions. There's also the option of procedurally generated textures if space becomes tight. Without having all the details available I have to conclude that the XBox 360 just is getting outdated hardware-wise. With a GF6-class GPU that's pretty much the truth anyway. At least the PS3 has the option of using its Cell processor to spruce things up a bit using its AltiVec power.

You can't compare PC games on DVD with Consoles.....PC games are being installed (all files copied to computer) and then run off the HD. Console games are being played directly off the disk (with some stuff being written to HD, but not much).

You can't compare PC games on DVD with Consoles.....PC games are being installed (all files copied to computer) and then run off the HD. Console games are being played directly off the disk (with some stuff being written to HD, but not much).

Strange, I seem to remember more and more console games being installed to disk :)

So the 360 has worse graphics in FFXIII not because its hardware is inferior but because...? Sorry, not sure how to finish that sentence.

Strange, I seem to remember more and more console games being installed to disk :)

As far as I understand it (and I might be wrong) they are just caching certain things to the disk. Its not like they are installing the entire game there. It's still being run off the disk, isn't it?

As far as I understand it (and I might be wrong) they are just caching certain things to the disk. Its not like they are installing the entire game there. It's still being run off the disk, isn't it?
You can -- and IMO should since it reduces the noise level considerably - install 360 games to the hard drive, but it's a disc-imaging process, not a true installation process. On the PC, a 9GB DVD installation can end up being 15+GB on the hard drive because more aggressive compression can be used and the installation is mandatory. Many PC games would end up being multi-DVD affairs if they were actually run directly from the DVD.

As for the inferior/superior question, in this case it's all simply down to how far Square was willing to go to optimize for the 360 after building the game for the PS3. They got the game to where they felt it played and looked good and then they stopped. The same phenomenon occurs when developers start with the 360 version and then make/port a version to the PS3.

It's due to the storage woes of DVDs requiring undesirable levels of compression;

The FMVs are low bit rate and heavily compressed due to storage limitation.
The real time 3d graphics are lower resolution on X360 because the game's engine was made and optimized specifically for the PS3 hw. X360 port was a second thought.

As for the inferior/superior question, in this case it's all simply down to how far Square was willing to go to optimize for the 360 after building the game for the PS3. They got the game to where they felt it played and looked good and then they stopped. The same phenomenon occurs when developers start with the 360 version and then make/port a version to the PS3.
its about time the 360 got some of this inferior shit!!

They're not being installed, despite what the console says. The console just rips the disc to the hard drive. Files are not being decompressed and registry keys are not being created and modified when a console "installs" a game.

As an owner of both systems, I'm definitely buying the PS3 version in the HOPE that the extra BluRay room will allow Square to leave the Japanese language vocal track in as an option.

This is a big issue for me as well. Unfortunately most games do not include this option and use lack of disc space as an excuse, from what I have heard it has to do with the extra cost of paying the voice actors and actresses to have their talent used in both regions...

360 for me. Don't care. I'm more supportive of the decision to actually port the game. My ps3 is like a freakin leaf blower after 15 minutes of movie watching or gaming (1st Gen. Annoys me I can't get a backward compatible machine if this dies too). I really don't game much on it anymore anyway.

Elledan: sorry but PS3 has it's fair share of "Inferior system. Poor port. Not HD resolution games!" Honestly care nil about that. Unless your up there pixel counting, people aren't knowing what freaking resolution a game is at. You can't just eyeball it! You physically have to count it. But whatever.

I plan on borrowing my friends copy for the PS3, due to not owning an X360. I know it's a 1st day purchase for him and I'm saving my money for GoW3. So we will trade when the time is right :)

so I accidentally posted this in the other FF13 thread... whoopsie.

There’s been a lot of fuss recently over the resolution of the 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII being 576p, compared to the PS3 version being 720p. Well, the latest official shots from both SE and MS show clearly that the 360 version is indeed in 720p native, although I can't see any AA on them. In other words, it looks like the original idea that the 360 shots were taken either badly or from a video source at the wrong res seem to be pretty spot on.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=38725

no clue who "Team Blur" is, so take it with a grain of salt.

It does seem like a strange coincidence that 576p is "progressive PAL" resolution. The allegedly analyzed screenshots could easily have been taken during testing for the EU version of the game.

Again, screenshots -- especially those taken before release -- aren't really worth a lot of fuss and bother.

Hmm... these screenshots are causing a lot of fuss. SE should just straight up make a statement to clear it all up.

So the 360 has worse graphics in FFXIII not because its hardware is inferior but because...? Sorry, not sure how to finish that sentence.

I'm still waiting for the business end of that arguement.

My opinion is that it's a shitty port made to draw money from Xbox360 owners who refuse to own a PS3. Metal Gear is next. And why not? Still good games. Too bad the shittiness can't be masked though.

They probably built the game engine without tiling support for the X360 port. 1024x576 X2AA just happens to fit almost perfectly into a 10mb edram.

Last edited:
Supposedly those pics are literally PS3 screenshots with the Xbox button pasted on. :confused:

http://kotaku.com/5475017/these-are-the-xbox-360-final-fantasy-xiii-shots-you-were-looking-fo

I posted the 7th pic from this set on the first page of the thread. There are alpha to coverage artifacts, especially noticeable on Snow's hair and necklace. Picture 5 looks off too. The girl's hair has a weird dithering effect.

They probably built the game engine without tiling support for the X360 port. 1024x576 X2AA just happens to fit almost perfectly into a 10mb edram.

Jesus. what happened there? I deleted that post almost immediately after I submitted it because I caught that earlier.

I'm still waiting for the business end of that arguement.

John Carmack from id Software has already explained that Rage and other large games for the 360 will sacrifice graphics quality not due to the system's hardware but because of the storage limitations of DVDs.

It's not rocket science.

John Carmack from id Software has already explained that Rage and other large games for the 360 will sacrifice graphics quality not due to the system's hardware but because of the storage limitations of DVDs.

It's not rocket science.
Okay, but how much graphics quality do you have to sacrifice if you're already willing to do a 3-disc (up to 27GB) release?

Okay, but how much graphics quality do you have to sacrifice if you're already willing to do a 3-disc (up to 27GB) release?

That's a good question I'd like to have answered. I seem to recall the PS1 having lots of 4-disc releases as well. What's there to stop developers from just using 4 DVDs for over 35 GB of storage?

Jesus if you purchase it for the 360 I hope you have some HD space if you want to install.

Final Fantasy 13 - 18.3GB Install for Xbox 360
http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-481171.aspx
And the patience to wait for everything to copy. I'd be happy not installing games at all to the 360 hard drive except that its DVD-ROM drive is the loudest thing in my living room -- I don't crank my audio system very often.

Of course, assuming this is like most multi-disc games where you swap discs once and then have many hours before you have to do so again, it would be relatively easy to install the discs as needed - annoying in that you'd have to save and exit, but still you wouldn't necessarily have to commit 18.3 gigs to the game at one time.

I would definitely get the PS3 version, since the game is made for that system. That and do you really need any more reason after looking at the pictures on the first page?

It's not rocket science.

I didn't realize a DVD drive wasn't part of the 360's hardware. Or are you suggesting that not being able to store as much as a blu-ray(and thereby reducing graphics quality in the case of some games) does not make DVD's inferior?

Jesus. what happened there? I deleted that post almost immediately after I submitted it because I caught that earlier.

I must have hit reply right after you posted, I was called out to the backyard and got caught up in chores. Didn't notice the edit, I was on the next page, my bad.

Scyles; Oh god yes, yes I do. Played FF8 for the first time on PC and uh...yeah It looked...unique.

I playued 7 and 8 o the PC and they were fine. I had no issues with them.Wish they would have continued porting them to the PC

Actually, the only part i had a problem with was 7 during one of the final battles it looped some video in the background and that would often make the game freeze.

I playued 7 and 8 o the PC and they were fine. I had no issues with them.Wish they would have continued porting them to the PC

Actually, the only part i had a problem with was 7 during one of the final battles it looped some video in the background and that would often make the game freeze.

Remember back to that final battle. One Winged Angel.... All midi.... None of the chorus..... ugh...

Anyone who wants to ensure that SE considers the PC a viable platform, buy "The Last Remnant" whenever there is a Steam or similar sort of sale on it. I got it for $5. This thing is pretty much a white unicorn, as it is a SquareEnix PC game, that also includes the Japanese vocal track.

I gave The Last Remnant a shot, didn't like it. Square should keep porting FF games to PC. I'd own FFX and FFX-2 for sure.

I gave The Last Remnant a shot, didn't like it. Square should keep porting FF games to PC. I'd own FFX and FFX-2 for sure.
Now that they're not tying themselves up to being Playstation exclusive, it seems like there's a better chance for at least getting FF XIII on the PC since porting from the 360 should be easier.

Back