Final Fantasy XIII-2!

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
Release by next winter! I expect delays, however.

I know many of you don't like FF13 in general. I personally liked the game, even though it was very linear and what not. I personally enjoyed every iteration of FF except for 8 and x-2. Definitely looking forward to this sequel. Lightning looks awesome!

I just hope it doesn't turn out like ffx-2

Heres a link to the main site.
Warning: SPOILER ALERT
(if you have not beat ff13, you should not watch the trailer)

http://na.square-enix.com/ffxiii-2/

Gave up on 13 after like 10 hours, I just wasn't getting into it. I feel like Square has sort of lost their greatness.

I'm more interested in Versus 13 than 13-2, X-2 was of course a total fan service abomination of FFX and I expect the same from this.

I also gave up on FFXIII after 10-15 hours. In order for me to buy this, it basically has to be an entirely different game. New battle system, no extreme linearity (or at least the illusion of choice), etc.

I am still, to this day, shocked and disappointed at what it turned out to be.

Is this the same as VS XIII? Is there going to be a XIII, VS XIII, and XIII-2? *head explodes*

I really hope the next FF game fixes the horrors of XIII. Between FF XIII and XIV Square really needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just put out a good game. A couple more bad games and people will stop making excuses for Square Enix.

Last edited:
i took a break after about 10 hours of ffxiii thinking i would go back to finish... havent touched it sense and see no reason to look forward to this one just yet. Im just hoping they fix ffxiv before i get to old to play video games...

if they can deliver what they initially promised with ff13 with 13-2 i'm in

I liked 13 loved the battle system could care less what anyone else thinks. I will buy it.

Like a lot of other people, I stopped playing about 8-10 hours into the game. Didn't like the character, battle system, or naming conventions.
I've lost a lot of faith in the series as of late. I don't know why having newer technology has made the games so linear. Why not go back to the wide open worlds from 1-9?

I just started playing FF13. The tech is amazing, the art and storyline have reached complete, unironic self parody, and I gotta say, the combat system is growing on me. Switching paradigms is oddly satisfying. I wish the feedback of when to change was a little clearer, but it's fun swapping between buff/debuff, all out offense, chain building offense and healing styles.

After burning 30 or so hours on XIII to get to the non-walk-along-in-a-narrow-path-interrupted-by-cutscenes-and-fights part of the game, I just lost all interest. The combat sucks donkey nuts. It didn't feel much like a Final Fantasy game at all, to my disappointment. And that's leaving aside my chagrin for the grossly sub-par port the XBox 360 recieved.

Color me indifferent until Squeenix returns to its roots and gives back the things that made Final Fantasy great.

Apparently the "2" stands for the two people who are going to like it. :D

Zing!

Last edited:
I will pick this up. I enjoyed it XIII and thought the combat was a refreshing.

Never really understood the FF13 hate. I've been a big fan since the beginning of the series and enjoyed FF13 pretty well. It's not in my Top 3, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the bottom. Of course I'm not a member of the "The first game I played after I lost my first tooth was FF7" cult either.

For me the last few FF games have strayed from what brought me to the series. With most of the older games you'd have a semi-linear plot for a few hours and then the game would open up into a giant world with a shitload of side quests that you could do (and a cast of a bunch of characters) if you wanted or you could skip 'em if you wanted. Characters were different and had unique abilities based upon a character class of some kind.
Throughout the years they've gotten rid of more and more of the open gameplay, the characters can all do the same things (except they wield different weapons...that all do the same thing), and side quests have been relegated to end-game options only.
FF13 was just the latest progression in a direction they've been heading for years.
They split the series into an open MMO and a linear normal series.
Nosir, don't like it.

While VII and VIII have to world layout you are referring to, every character was the same, or could be the same, aside from weapons. You could make any character just like another by switching up your materia or draws. IX was the closest to having your typical archetypes, of the games released after the launch of the playstation.

All the FF games are linear in my mind. Going back to FF 2 and 3 on SNES even. FF 1 was probably the most open one but not really. Once in awhile you would run into an area you shouldn't be and get killed in one hit. The more story they added, the more linear they had to make it.

I do miss the "classes" or whatever that made each character unique. One reason I didn't like FF 7 matera system. Everyone could be a warrior or everyone could be a Black Mage.

While VII and VIII have to world layout you are referring to, every character was the same, or could be the same, aside from weapons. You could make any character just like another by switching up your materia or draws. IX was the closest to having your typical archetypes, of the games released after the launch of the playstation.

Yup, that's what I mean. They started down that road some time ago.
There were 6 great games before those came out :)
They had elements of greatness in them, but Square has been heading in this direction for a little while. The problem with the new games is that they got rid of the other good things, too.

All the FF games are linear in my mind. Going back to FF 2 and 3 on SNES even. FF 1 was probably the most open one but not really. Once in awhile you would run into an area you shouldn't be and get killed in one hit. The more story they added, the more linear they had to make it.

I do miss the "classes" or whatever that made each character unique. One reason I didn't like FF 7 matera system. Everyone could be a warrior or everyone could be a Black Mage.

The FF series has definitely always been linear. Some just mask it more than others. There's never been a branching storyline to my knowledge, and any objectives which can be attempted out-of-sequence are rare.

Some let you travel around more, and some have more side-objectives than others, but the stories are totally linear, and in most, character advancement is pretty linear as well.

That's why I never really understood the complaints about FF13 being linear. It's no more linear than FFX which is among most peoples Top 3.

People think back to the world map and the airships, but that was really just the illusion of choice. With a few exceptions, there was only one place to go to advance the story, one town that had the latest gear for sale, and one place that was the best for leveling up.

Yep, well said. I still find many things i liked in all the other ff's and enjoy the alterations they make throughout each iteration, even in 13. Sure the world isnt as open, but that doesnt kill the game for me. It actually does get pretty open once you get towards the end of the game..

What i liked about the whole series is that they share many of the same elements as each other but do not make the same exact game. You still gain exp to level up and develop character skills/attributes, still have magical abilities like fire/fira/firaga and haste, regen etc, still battle in parties, still equip cool weapons/armor, still have ifrit/shiva, aand overall still have the main ff feeling that i like.+

The introduction of the paradigm battle system turned out to be great for me and i enjoyed it a lot. The story was also very interesting and pulled me in, though some of the chars (aka hope) were pretty annoying at times.

I can agree that ff13 was disappointing to a point, but not by too much for me not to like it. I didnt like that there were no weapon/armor shops/inns, but it wasnt game breaking.+

So yes, ff13 has its flaws/differences but Ff13 was still an ff to me, just without the sidequests and openess early and mid game. Theres still plenty to do when you beat the game, so its not too bad imo.

Looking forward to the sequel.

The linearity wasn't what killed FF13 for me. It was the awful characters, the super cheesy art direction (a summon that's a goddamn motorcycle... really?), and the battle system where every character could basically be any role.

Gave up on 13 after like 10 hours, I just wasn't getting into it. I feel like Square has sort of lost their greatness.

I'm more interested in Versus 13 than 13-2, X-2 was of course a total fan service abomination of FFX and I expect the same from this.

X2 was the best playing FF game since FF6/3.

X2 was the best playing FF game since FF6/3.

Everyone I knew hated X-2. I could never figure out why. Yes, it is just three girls as the characters but the battle system and job/dress system flowed well. I didn't like X very much, but played the hell out of X-2. The story was entirely forgettable, but the game played very well.

Most of the people I knew that were adverse to the game had never even played it. It was just the worst because, oh look, its just chicks in the game. Any of the male characters from the post playstation era FF games were effeminate anyway, aside from Auron and Barret. Toss some manlier clothes on Paine and she could have been more masculine than most of the main protagonists of the recent games. Ehh.

Last edited:
Everyone I new hated X-2. I could never figure out why. Yes, it is just three girls as the characters but the battle system and job/dress system flowed well. I didn't like X very much, but played the hell out of X-2. The story was entirely forgettable, but the game played very well.

Most of the people I knew that were adverse to the game had never even played it. It was just the worst because, oh look, its just chicks in the game. Any of the male characters from the post playstation era FF games were effeminate anyway, aside from Auron and Barret. Toss some manlier clothes on Paine and she could have been more masculine than most of the main protagonists of the recent games. Ehh.

To top that off, X-2 was probably the most "open" of the FF games. I guess if FF were to be non-linear, it would probably have a story as forgettable as X-2.

FFXIII wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't a good game. Hopefully they'll drop the linear style of advancement in favor of a hybrid between open world and the original. I personally enjoyed the battle system even though it had the depth of a sheet of paper.

i played ff13 and enjoyed it, although i had to stop playing for a month because of a vacation and i never picked it back up. the thing is that it's a decent story and it's linear but it's not quite that gripping. and the level of character customization just isn't that good.

still it's a fun game, and maybe i'd still be playing it if i had the time to play it in big chunks of time, instead of 30-40 minutes at a time...

While everyone is somewhat correct about the illusion of non-linear game play, that illusion is very important. FFXIII was, at all times, a non-stop train ride. There was no world map to break it up, there were towns to explore, no new weapons and armor to buy (sort of), etc. Psychologically, we need that break. It's like the comedic relief in a dramatic film. It can't be "on" all the time.

I consider FF3/6 to be the best in the series. For those who have played it, think back at all the times you got to choose what to do when, and you'll remember there were actually a lot of choices, or at least false choices. For example:

--When your party gets split up in the first world, you can do those three parts in any order.
--There were other characters you could avoid entirely or acquire early (Shadow, Mog, Gogo, Umaro, Gau, etc.)
--In the ruined world, you could essentially finish the game immediately. You can go around recollecting your party, which was one huge side quest more or less.
--Character customization -- some people don't like the everyone can be everything, but I would take the Esper/Relic system over whatever was going on in 13.

Most importantly, the story and setting in the other Final Fantasy games was far superior to FFXIII. Yeah, that is subjective, but I think most people would agree the storyline in 13 doesn't hold a candle to many of the others in the series.

IMO, just so everyone can flame it: 6>7>10>12>9>4>1>8>13

Yeah you are right Katalysis. The illusion is important. I still got pretty much what I expected from FF 13. No it wasn't the best FF in the world, it wasn't the worst game either.

Since you tossed it out there...Tactics>6>9>10>5>4>12>7>13>1>8>2

Yeah, Tactics isn't a numbered FF but it's too awesome for me not to include it.

Though I was purely an observer of FFXIII, I thought it was really bad. My bro borrowed it from this friend and thought it was pretty good though. He'll probably do the same for XIII-2 (borrow, not buy).

From a storytelling standpoint, I just hate how characters focus on themselves and their "inner-battles" too much. This self-centered character design migrated over to the re-made classic characters in Dissidia which pissed me off as well.

Level design looked really awful as well. There were entire open, flat levels where you could see the exit on the other side, but had to run through a zig-zagged path full of enemies to get there.

Though I was purely an observer of FFXIII, I thought it was really bad. My bro borrowed it from this friend and thought it was pretty good though. He'll probably do the same for XIII-2 (borrow, not buy).

From a storytelling standpoint, I just hate how characters focus on themselves and their "inner-battles" too much. This self-centered character design migrated over to the re-made classic characters in Dissidia which pissed me off as well.

Level design looked really awful as well. There were entire open, flat levels where you could see the exit on the other side, but had to run through a zig-zagged path full of enemies to get there.

I don't mind that the characters have inner battles, so long as they are written well and, these days, acted well. Back in the day, someone would just write dialogue and we didn't have to worry about some voice actor coming off like a whiner all the time, or having a nails on a chalkboard voice. Sure, the dialogue for some of these games was notoriously terrible at times, but I could only imagine how the voice actors could make me hate my favorite characters from FF6. The characters in FF13 all came off bitch made.

I'm one of those crazy persons that enjoyed XIII pretty well thoroughly.
Eagerly anticipating all of the upcoming Nova Crystallis games.
XIII-2 has huge potential.
vXIII looks fantastic.
Type-0 looks to be immeasurably epic.

I don't mind that the characters have inner battles, so long as they are written well and, these days, acted well. Back in the day, someone would just write dialogue and we didn't have to worry about some voice actor coming off like a whiner all the time, or having a nails on a chalkboard voice. Sure, the dialogue for some of these games was notoriously terrible at times, but I could only imagine how the voice actors could make me hate my favorite characters from FF6. The characters in FF13 all came off bitch made.

I haven't even started with voice acting :eek:! FFXIII didn't bother me very much with that, but it did seem off somehow.

Inner-conflicts can be a neat thing, but it just seemed overused, shallow and conspicuous in FFXIII. Literally each character monologued at least once about something they felt insecure about. I think it heavily relies on the writing and direction, as you said. But if it was interesting and done well, it could be great. Like in FF6, all of the major characters have had some personal problems that reveals itself in different ways. Locke had an obsession with protecting women due to how he failed to protect Rachel, Shadow was haunted by dreams of his past, Edgar/Sabin had flashbacks of when they went their separate ways, Cyan was still troubled over this loss of his family and overcomes it in his soul, etc. But now we get lame, cheesy monologues like "I just wanted to keep fighting, but I didn't know what for!"

Wow, this is sooooo disappointing.
Why does Square try so hard to make me hate them now? They used to try so hard to make me like them.... wtf...

Back