Final Fantasy XI Beta Xbox 360

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
Searched, didn't find a thead, so I'm making one.

Was just looking on trademe (NZ's equiv. to eBay) and saw an Xbox 360 (imported, mind you) with Final Fantasy XI Beta included in the package. I got to wondering how many people know about it, or maybe even you've played it? This could perhaps tide soem people over until some great titles finally come out.

(In my search I did see someone selling them in the FS/FT forum, and saying it's not due out yet.)

i live in japan, and bought a 360 over here.

everyone gets a beta copy of FFXI with the system, but i never bothered to install it. it requires a USB keyboard if you actually want to play instead of just running around and trying to type on the controller, and i played that game a long time ago on the PC. it sucked then, and i can't imagine an expansion and port to console turning it into anything else.

The beta comes w/ the Feb. issue of xbox mag. I to played it years ago when it came out on the ps2 and it really sucked then and it still pretty much sucks. I installed it for shits and giggles to see if maybe they upped the graphics or anything and it still looks about the same.. a little more detail since i have hdtv but nothing noticable. A usb keyboard is helpfull and you need a hard drive as well. Takes alittle over 2 hrs to install.

I tired both PC and 360 I lasted about 10 more mins on 360 becasue I could actually move better with controller. The game graphics are crappy even on my system and my HDTV.

I installed it on my 360 on tuesday (it's free with this months OXM magazine in the UK), I only had a chance to play it for 15 minutes by the time I finished installing it and I couldn't play it wednesday as the servers were down for maintenance :(. And yesterday was completely out 'cos I had to watch my nephew and niece... maybe I'll have more luck playing on the weekend.

For the 15 minutes I played though I got to admit I didn't have a clue where to start. If anyones got any pointers for a newb at FFXI it would be much appreciated.

Yea I was confused too.

Also the graphics look fuzzy even with my HDTV.

If the UK OXM is anything like the US OXM, there is at least 10 pages on how to best get started in the game.

I still have my beta disk if anyone wants it.

I don't do RPGs.

Where to go and what to do in FFXI?

Do the quests, level up... and expect to not buy anything at all until you are level 20. If they force you to play on an old server and not a new/fresh one, expect to not buy anything until level 40 and the old time players have destroyed the economy. Don't even bother going to the auction house as the newbie swords out there are 100 times more gil than you have ever seen in your life. Economic hell that really seperates the haves and have-nots.

10,000 gil for a copper sword 1-2 damage? WTH?

Second, expect to die alot and level at a creepingly slow rate. This isn't the instant gratification of WoW. Level 5 is achieveable in about 2 weeks of play.

Yes, it's really that bad. "Decline of Gaming" even makes fun of how bad it is. (Episode 4?)

FF10 and FF11 was an era of the great downfall of the FF series.

FF11 was a big waste of money.

Sorry 'bout rezing an old thread, but figured since one is already out there. But, has anyone else tried this yet. after installing and downloading all the patches and updates (about a 3-4 hour process and takes over 5gig of the HD space). i created a character but like everyone else have no clue what to do first, they give you some sort of coupon for one of the vendors but i have yet to be able to find this vendor, the controls are awkward at best and the map(i guess its a map) jsut plain sucks. i might try and play a little more, but only because its free adn because of the effort of installing, patching and registering was such a pita i at least want to get my efforts worth out of it. anyone else have any more luck than me?

Sadly, while it has potential, it's just not a very good MMORPG. I played when it came out for PC. Spend a day or so leveling me thief, then came across 2 quests that were easily repeatable in one city, but gave items that sold very well in other cities. Even better, the trigger items were usually for sale cheap in the auction house, so I could buy them, run the quest and then sell the reqard for a huge profit. I then spent the next 2 weeks grinding the quests and making a ton of gil (think I had just over 500k when I quit). I didn't like the combat, or the fact that I almost had to have a group to get anything done. I could solo with my thief once she was well equipped, but just seemed to take forever to level. The beta is worth trying, but IMO the game isn't worth a monthly fee.

I never got what people saw in FF

Me either. The ONLY game with the FF name on it I liked was Tactics. That's it. All the other sucked pretty bad IMO. It just feels too much like work playing those games.

That being said, I LOVED XenoGears... so maybe I am just biased against the FF series? The combat never seemed fun to me.

The install off the OXM beta disc took 3 hours for me.

The registration was confusing as could be, and unacceptable.

As crappy as the installation was I should have known the interface/game would be the same.

I was dropped into the world with no idea what to do. No idea where to go, and abosolutely no idea why I had just wasted 3 hours of my life installing this crap. But like the previous poster - I figured i HAD to try it as I just spent all that time installing it.

the graphics are trash, and everything looks foggy in the castle kingdom. I spent 30 minutes walking around the castle until I found a way out and then went out into the woods near by and my elf monk died on the first creature I fought. At that point I tried despertately to figure out how to quit ( there isn't a clear option on how to log out or quit or anything) and uninstalled. I know must pray that it removed every single file from my xbox 360 HD so that I don't have any clutter left on my pathetically small xbox 360 HD.

what an absolute waste of time...absolutely zero interest in that game.

Release WOW for the Xbox 360...I'd try that one.

I was in the same boat.

I found the map handy to find the vendor for the coupon at the beginning (gives you 50 gil), wondered aimlessly through the town. took a side job delivering parcels for the markets (earned me a shield), got a job from the magic shop handing out 15 fliers to non-adventures (found about 2 npcs who would actually accept the flyers). Got bored, deleted my character, revoked my ID, uninstalled and went back to playing PGR3.

I played FFXI for a year and a half of the PC. I made it to level 64 (out of 75) so that should give you an indication of how slow leveling is in this game. I enjoyed the game up until the time requirements to make any progress just got way too intense. I would strongly suggest that anyone looking to start a MMORPG pick up WoW or EQ2 instead, FFXI has been around a long time and the old, high level players and guilds have an iron grip on the economy that makes it very very hard for newbies to carve out a place for themselves.

Update, played the game for about an hour and a half last night, finally found the person to give you the gil for the note, but couldnt find anything useful to buy. went out of town to kill some mobs - that was the first hour, the next half hour i spent running around trying to figure out how to heal myself, i asked about a dozen times with no responses. finally someone ran by and healed me - but at that point my mind was made up, i exited and deleted the whole damm thing of my 360. i figure they owe me big time for the 5-6 hours of my life that was completely wasted

Is there anyway to get rid of the game if you installed it? I want my 5gb of HD back!

you can uninstall it from the playonline menu on the disk (the first menu that loads).

Back