Final Fantasy X voicing

kelbear

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this game's been out for awhile, but I'm catching up on ps2 stuff...

Am I the only one disturbed by the voice acting here? Wakka, Lulu, and Auron managed to capture personality for their character gracefully, and Rikku just passable. Then Tidus and Yuna, the main characters seem like they're straining to force nuance into lines that they don't fully understand. The two aren't really connecting, it really feels like the two actors were in seperate rooms just reading lines off a page which were spliced together afterwards rather than two people talking to each other. The dialogue works fine and I can almost taste the scene as it should've been.

The game comes with subtitles anyway, I keep finding myself wishing that the game had an option to use the original japanese voice talent. It's not so much what language I hear it in, but how it gets delivered. I'm already used to reading subtitles because of anime. Voice acting is a respected segment of the japanese entertainment industry while quality voice acting in the American industry primarily comes from previously established regular actors who are too costly to hire for dubbing jobs. The game already features distinctly japanese molds for the characters, molds which are not quite perfectly mirrored in U.S forms. Rikku for example doesn't really have a popularized equivalent in the U.S and as such is a difficult role for an American to play. The japanese personalities of the characters were understandably too difficult for the U.S voice talent to carry over smoothly.

Or I might just be too picky :p

While I don't think the voice acting in Final Fantasy X to be the best it certainly not as bad as it could have been. For the first time of having voice-overs in a Final Fantasy, I think they did a great job. Sure sometimes you just want to strangle Tidus but its still a great job over all. Yuna actually doesn't sound too bad IMO but she does sound alot better in the sequel (Final Fantasy X-2).

Japanese dubbing would have been awsome but that would have probably forced the game onto two discs. Atleast its not as bad as the preRE4 Resident Evils...

i miss the good old text.

theres like 10x more talking in FF9 as there was in 10

I LIKE TO READ OLDSCHOOL

EchoMatrix said:
i miss the good old text.

theres like 10x more talking in FF9 as there was in 10

I LIKE TO READ OLDSCHOOL

Well Final Fantasy IX was just a longer game aswell but if you would cut it to the same length of X it would be about the same. X has alot of written dialog aswell since not everything was voiced just key moments.

Final Fantasy, Xenosaga or even Skies of Arcadia. They're all plagued by English voiceover problems. I wonder why these games don't have a Japanese track option like every other RPG (Disgaea, La Pucelle, Ys, Atelier Iris). It's takes no effort to implement, and it doesn't take up too much space on the disc either. I was going to finish Xenosaga 2, but couldn't stand the voices, so I dropped it.

Well, actually... those people were more than likely in separate rooms reading lines and having them spliced together. In VO work, it's hard to get everyone together.

I admit that the performances for Tidus and Yuna were a bit weak, but the rest of the people doing voices are total professionals. You didn't like Tara Strong who did Rikku? You know she does the voice for Timmy Turner in the Fairly Oddparents and Bubbles on Powerpuff Girls? John DiMaggio and Paula Tiso were great as well. Final Fantasy X actually was a pretty good job overall for VO work. Sure it's not Planescape: Torment, but that's probably the best example there is save for the incredible work of Terri Brosius. Point to anyone who knows what she did!

Soujiro said:
Final Fantasy, Xenosaga or even Skies of Arcadia. They're all plagued by English voiceover problems. I wonder why these games don't have a Japanese track option like every other RPG (Disgaea, La Pucelle, Ys, Atelier Iris). It's takes no effort to implement, and it doesn't take up too much space on the disc either. I was going to finish Xenosaga 2, but couldn't stand the voices, so I dropped it.

The games that you listed that have Translated tracks are all 2D they do not require much data, To have both the awsome 3D graphics of the Final Fantasy series and two dialog choices would force the game to 2DVDs. The game is already almost filling up a DVD9, Heck FFXII is rumored to be 2DVDs.

When the PS3 releases we will probably get dual tracks since Blu-Ray has plenty of room.

I might be a looser, but I liked the VOs... sorry, just made me feel more engaged in the story, even if they were slightly separated from each other, still was nice.

It wasn't like it was dubbed, cause I had dubbes, i prefer to read, but it was propery VOed, so I was happy.

I'd enjoy having the option of a japanese dub with standard subs. If it was too big for the dvd to have both eng and jpn, the option buying the game based on which language u want would appeal to me.

|MaguS| said:
Atleast its not as bad as the preRE4 Resident Evils...

Hey there's nothing wrong with a jill sandwich. :p

There's enough room. If they compress the audio, there's more than enough. They just don't want to go through with the effort or spend the money on the DVD9 process (rather than a single-layer) on a feature that only a few people would end up using. It all boils down to cost and how cheap they want to be.

I haven't played FFX myself, but I've watched/seen enough of it to know that Tidus' voice alone would probably prevent me from getting through the whole game..."Auron's holding me back!...I hate sand, it's so coarse....I will be the most powerful lead character EVAR!"

I thought Rikku was very well Done. Yunas voice really fit her diligent character, but wasnt anything exciting. The way she acted matched her voice though. But honestly, everytime I heard Tidus speak, I just wanted to punch him right through the TV.

Torgo said:
Well, actually... those people were more than likely in separate rooms reading lines and having them spliced together. In VO work, it's hard to get everyone together.

I admit that the performances for Tidus and Yuna were a bit weak, but the rest of the people doing voices are total professionals. You didn't like Tara Strong who did Rikku? You know she does the voice for Timmy Turner in the Fairly Oddparents and Bubbles on Powerpuff Girls? John DiMaggio and Paula Tiso were great as well. Final Fantasy X actually was a pretty good job overall for VO work. Sure it's not Planescape: Torment, but that's probably the best example there is save for the incredible work of Terri Brosius. Point to anyone who knows what she did!

Shodan?? I think....

OMFG FFX was Hooorrrrrrible, I hated the voice acting with a passion. Back in the days of FF7, I could imagine in my head a cute little voice for Aries and a little perkyier voice for Yuffie and it was gggrreaat fantasizen. I believe if FF7 had voice acting, It would have ruined the game.

I hate all games with voice acting, voice acting with graphics that tried to be realistic turned me off totally for the PS2/Xbox generation. SPRITES BEYACH!!! TEXT BEYACH!!!

Thanks to FFX and Kingdom Hearts, I will never touch another current generation type RPG crap. Secret of Mana FOREVER!! ZELDA BEYACH!

Speaking of RPG's I can't wait untill the new Secret Of Mana is released for the D.S..... OLD SCHOOL BEYACH! YEAH! YEAH! OKAYE!!

I would like to close in re-emphasizing how much voice acting sucks. At least American voice acting sucks. I wouldn't mind listening to some Japanease voice acting with english translation in text, but that is a different story because it gives a different affect than completely trying to make a cutscene like an american movie.

I can't spell worth shit, my profession doesn't require excellent spelling. No grammor or spelling police please.

I notice a lot of dislike of Yuna's voice acting with various people. I thought it was fantastic and so fitting. Doesn't anyone catch the whole concept of humility and being humble? (all the more reason I couldn't stomach her change in X-2) The dialogue is intentionally delivered with soft-spokeness and restraint.

There are capable voice actors in America, but there isn't a proving ground for voice actors to distinguish themselves. The most prominent voice actors in American animation are full-fledged actors who've been contracted for a voice-only part, rather than actors who've made a career with just voice acting.

Rikku was passable in my opinion, but I know how she should have sounded. She's a japanese character stereotype, the ditzy/fobby super energetic girl. Parallels would be Tenma from School Rumble, Tomo from Azumanga Daioh, Skuld from Ah my goddess, etc. etc. There's no such thing as an American fob. Closest stereotype in America is a blonde cheerleader which is similarly energetic, but is associated with stupidity rather than innocent naivete. It's naturally harder for the American VOs to fill the roles.

Wakka, Lulu, and Auron however turned out wonderfully in my opinion. The other non-party voices were done well also. It's just that Tidus and Yuna were the main characters and they did the worst job out of the whole cast. I haven't heard Yuna in FFX-2, but I'll be starting that after I finish FFX.

For the most part the VOs in FFX were great, in my opinion. They really did it for me...and (this will probably get me flamed) especially Tidus' voice. Everyone always complains about his voice, and even a person in this thread said they couldn't play it because of his voice. I think if it weren't for the VO of Tidus I wouldn't have been as engaged as I was. Everybody likes something different, I guess...

yhamez said:
For the most part the VOs in FFX were great, in my opinion. They really did it for me...and (this will probably get me flamed) especially Tidus' voice. Everyone always complains about his voice, and even a person in this thread said they couldn't play it because of his voice. I think if it weren't for the VO of Tidus I wouldn't have been as engaged as I was. Everybody likes something different, I guess...

QFT.

Final Fantasy X's voice acting really surprised me. I thought it'd be terrible... instead it was fine. X-2 was a little better. Likewise, Dragon Quest VIII's acting is amazing, especially considering there was no voice acting in the Japanese version.

Square-Enix is one of the few companies to get voice acting right. Anyone remember Brave Fencer Musashiden? Hilarious.

I don't know, I just didn't like FFX overall...at all. But that's beside the point.

The voice acting wasn't good, it was satisfactory. A lot of times, especially when they tried to show emotion, it wasn't just there. I think Nippon Ichi uses great voice actors and they can Square Enix can learn a bit from them.

I didn't care for the voice acting, at times it was decent, at other times, it was just bad. Sure, I enjoyed the voices of a few of the minor characters, Kimari, Lulu, Wakka, Auron... but the two leads Tidus and Yuna just irritated me, Tidus more than anyone else. (could have been his character too, he just looks stupid, acts stupid, and therefore ends up sounding stupid.)

Back