Final Fantasy VII Remake: First Gameplay Images

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
FFVII is a game that everyone in the universe has played, so I am not sure why Square-Enix is being so secretive about the remake—it is just going to be the same game in a nicer coat of paint regardless of what they do. Nomura wanted to release a gameplay video but got shut down, so all we get are a grand total of two images. I wonder what the Knights of the Round summon is going to look like. What other FF game deserves a full-fledged remake?

This is what fighting the giant scorpion tank guarding the Sector 1 Mako Reactor at the beginning Final Fantasy VII will look like in the game’s remake. If it ever comes out that is. Tetsuya Nomura, the game’s director, revealed two new screenshots for the game at this year’s Magic Monaco 2017 event. The above image shows Cloud and Barret unloading on the security drone a firing clash of gun-arms and Buster swords. Interestingly, the new screenshots also offer a glimpse of the game’s battle interface, at least as it currently exists. I’m not sure why there’s a slot for both magic and Materia, or why Cloud and Barrett both have hit points north of a thousand. The HUD look’s simple and sleek enough, and hopefully it doesn’t fall into the same traps that snagged Final Fantasy XV.

this would make me buy a console. I really really hope I don't have too though! come on pc release! oh and theres mention at the very bottom that they are still working on kingdom hearts 3 which is good news too!

Last edited:
NUUUU ohhhh (O-o). As soon as I saw FF remake name I thought it was going to be delayed because of all the avengers/ gardian of the galaxy stuff Squareenix is doing. Soo I will save the rest of my U's for later....I hope this is in VR.

this would make be buy a console. I really really hope I don't have too though! come on pc release! oh and theres mention at the very bottom that they are still working on kingdom hearts 3 which is good news too!

I still have my FFVII PC discs. Hope they release on PC for this one too!

never played any of them, but love the piano collection soundtracks.

Squares ports to pc are pretty terrible though.

They're not that bad when developed concurrently. The FFXIII ports were quick and dirty on purpose, but Square has plenty of developers that they could rely on for a good PC version of this.

As for the screenshot, I thought it was a shot of Doom at first glance.

I don't understand the love for FFVI, its such a easy game, with so little freedom. The characters are either stupidly powerful or overwhelmingly weak, yet somehow the game is still impressively easy.

FFVI would need a full remake to entice me.

I'd love to see Final Fantasy Legends 3 remade.

I don't understand the love for FFVI, its such a easy game, with so little freedom. The characters are either stupidly powerful or overwhelmingly weak, yet somehow the game is still impressively easy.

FFVI would need a full remake to entice me.

I'd love to see Final Fantasy Legends 3 remade.
I'm pretty sure all of the characters are stupidly breakable to make the game beyond too easy.

Of course I've never played the games for their difficulty though.

this is more than just a same game with new paint. They already said the story will span 3 - 4 games all the normal game length. The old game with updates graphics would have made most people happy. A complete reboot if the story... Not sure about that yet. Especially with it being episodic over the course of 6 - 8 years.

this would make me buy a console. I really really hope I don't have too though! come on pc release! oh and theres mention at the very bottom that they are still working on kingdom hearts 3 which is good news too!

they have been working on it for 5+ years so don't get your hopes up about KH3

I wonder how many episodes they are going to this game in to.

Hopefully the three discs equal 3 episodes.

Seems to be suffering from the "excessive special effects and too much explosions and light everywhere and what the hell is going on so much stuff on the screen that makes me confused and makes me unconfortable to play " Syndrome.

This has to stop, I can only play like 1 or 2 games a year because 99% of the games are ridiculously stupid graphically nowadays.

I'm excited for the remake. FFVII is my favorite game of all time, followed by TLoZ:LTTP. I just hope they don't go crazy 3D battle system like they have with the latest game- I hate it. Part of what makes the game so great is indeed it's battle system. You can't have a Genova fight with spooky and calm music, and be having to do 100 things at once.
Really, my only fear about the remake is the battle system. We've heard S-E say it a hundred times, "We can't do a FFVII remake until we've made something better." I don't really think they've done anything better (X is quite enjoyable), but perhaps it is an answer to all the cries heard since the PS3 tech demo that had the whole world cumming all at once.

FFVII is a game that everyone in the universe has played, so I am not sure why Square-Enix is being so secretive about the remake—it is just going to be the same game in a nicer coat of paint regardless of what they do.

Three false premises in one sentence! But hey, the em dash is kinda cool.

Why couldn't they just do something like Super Mario All Stars? The first 6 Final Fantasy games, but in a much better 2D engine (4k res)? Not the horrible low res phone games which got ported, nor the horrible low res 3D games which got ported. The main game that really deserves a full remake imho is Chrono Trigger. Make it like Ni No Kuni graphics.

I'm excited for the remake. FFVII is my favorite game of all time, followed by TLoZ:LTTP. I just hope they don't go crazy 3D battle system like they have with the latest game- I hate it. Part of what makes the game so great is indeed it's battle system. You can't have a Genova fight with spooky and calm music, and be having to do 100 things at once.
Really, my only fear about the remake is the battle system. We've heard S-E say it a hundred times, "We can't do a FFVII remake until we've made something better." I don't really think they've done anything better (X is quite enjoyable), but perhaps it is an answer to all the cries heard since the PS3 tech demo that had the whole world cumming all at once.

That's a mouthful.

I just hope they don't go crazy 3D battle system like they have with the latest game- I hate it. Part of what makes the game so great is indeed it's battle system. You can't have a Genova fight with spooky and calm music, and be having to do 100 things at once.

Yeah, that's a concern of mine too. I'm imagining the battle system will be similar to their more recent games, more movement and flashiness. I just really hope it's not like their CGI movie - the amount of superhero-esque jumping really turned me off.

Why couldn't they just do something like Super Mario All Stars? The first 6 Final Fantasy games, but in a much better 2D engine (4k res)? Not the horrible low res phone games which got ported, nor the horrible low res 3D games which got ported. The main game that really deserves a full remake imho is Chrono Trigger. Make it like Ni No Kuni graphics.

That'd be really cool. I haven't played the mobile/Steam rereleases but I heard they updated/'improved' the graphics - but not for the better.

That's a mouthful.

That's what she said.

That'd be really cool. I haven't played the mobile/Steam rereleases but I heard they updated/'improved' the graphics - but not for the better.

The Steam rereleases are horrible. At best, they're low quality sprites with bilinear filtering. The community has since patched it to give the original graphics for a few of the games, but I'd like to see a proper 2D treatment.
(Check out this image someone made: http://billysan291.deviantart.com/art/Final-Fantasy-Goddess-HD-291639817)

And as good as 3D has become lately, it still pales in comparison to quality 2D imho. I understand 2D takes a lot more effort, but it's a shame that most 2D games which come out now seem to cater towards the low resolutions of the early 1990s.

And a problem with fan remakes, such as Chrono Trigger: Resurrection, outside of the cease & desists, are they look amateurish for the most part.

And a problem with fan remakes, such as Chrono Trigger: Resurrection, outside of the cease & desists, are they look amateurish for the most part.

By definition, they ARE made by amateurs.

I understand 2D takes a lot more effort

I don't think we can safely say this, given how game development budgets have mushroomed with each successive generation. Rather, there aren't many developers left who have the 2D animation skills needed to create a full game. And certainly not in 1080p/4K.

Once upon a time, vectors were supposed to be the answer to this, but they never went anywhere and were abandoned in favor of 3D polygonal worlds.

Redo them all, make a few tweaks to the story lines so they flow cleanly into each/next chapter.. for PC and console...

Here's a blank check.. send it when its done please

I wanna see a remake/reboot of 5 before 6... because I have a feeling they'd learn a lot from the process and 6 would end up being better for it... and 5 was really fun and lots of people here missed out on it.

Personally, I'm more excited for the release of FFXII: The Zodiac Age this year.
Final Fantasy VI and IX are my top two FF I would love to see remade.
IX, for sure, but I never got the obsession with VI. VI is the only entry in the main series that I don't like.

IX, for sure, but I never got the obsession with VI. VI is the only entry in the main series that I don't like.

Fun cast of characters. I mean it has one guy who does Street Fighter moves which I don’t believe has ever been done again in an RPG.

Nice twist on the villain where Joker pretty much steals the stage. Amazing moments (for its time) like the Opera scene or the End of the World. I remember the scene with Cele and her “father”, who I didn’t know at the time you could save, almost making me cry which is crazy considering it’s silly looking sprites.

I love it and I’m sure you know its popular opinion. If it means much I think FF7 is highly overrated. I’ll play the reboot but it honestly wouldn’t make my top 5 “which FF to remake first list.”

Personally, I'm more excited for the release of FFXII: The Zodiac Age this year.

Really? It's the opposite for me. VI for me is the best in the entire series while I felt that IX was pretty dull.

The characters in VI were awesome, it was less linear than the games that came before and after it, and Kefka is still the greatest villain of all time.

IX by contrast just seemed so uninspired.

Feels like this was announced forever ago.
In terms of remakes, I still think 6 (sold in the US as 3) was my favorite.
7's obviously a classic and probably deserves this the most.
I enjoyed the hell out of 8's plot and setting, but the "drain" play mechanic borderline ruined it. Ditto with the constant battles where you had to steal something off of a boss (with like a 10% chance of success) or miss out on something forever. If they could remake that game using the mechanics of 6,7, or 9 it would be terrific.
9 was fun and an enjoyable step back toward simplicity.
10 is where things went off the rails for me. I hate the characters, I hated Blitzball, and I generally didn't like much of anything about it.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that FF XII re-release. I've been waiting awhile for that one to be announced.

I enjoyed IX - the main story conflict wasn't that compelling, but the character development was good. Vivi's story and Steiner's romance were particularly strong points of the game for me.

Back