Final Fantasy Type-0

Going to check this out.. mr rig is getting towards EoL and should handle it.. i dig some FF, so we'll see.

Type-0 is pretty cool. I hope SE actually bothers to make a good port this time around. The ports for the FF13 games have been pretty lacking.

I don't know what is it with FF13, but it seems like there is deliberate programming in there that locks certain areas to 30fps, leading to stutters in certain areas (unless it's simply bad coding, but I am inclined to believe it's deliberate), and they never bothered to remove those.

I hope Type-0 doesn't have those kind of fps locks.

I don't know what is it with FF13, but it seems like there is deliberate programming in there that locks certain areas to 30fps, leading to stutters in certain areas (unless it's simply bad coding, but I am inclined to believe it's deliberate), and they never bothered to remove those.

I hope Type-0 doesn't have those kind of fps locks.

They probably did that for performance on the PS3 and 360.

Hopefully they just port from the XB1 version which runs pretty well. As long as they don't port the PSP version, we don't need more crappy looking FF ports on the PC.

Hopefully they just port from the XB1 version which runs pretty well. As long as they don't port the PSP version, we don't need more crappy looking FF ports on the PC.

It's a good game but I'd be surprised they up the graphics that much. The XB1/PS4 version was mostly a port of the PSP version. It would almost have to be a complete overhaul of the game and I don’t see them putting that much work into it.

It's a good game but I'd be surprised they up the graphics that much. The XB1/PS4 version was mostly a port of the PSP version. It would almost have to be a complete overhaul of the game and I don’t see them putting that much work into it.

The console versions look a lot better than any PSP game so they did some work on the remaster. I'd be happy with a good port of the remaster. Be really happy if they decided to release 15 on the PC too.

huh? the PS4 version is a complete visual overhaul. More polygons in models. Much higher detail and resolution textures. All new textures and visual effects for many things. and additional layers of post processing. Really, the only thing left over as a blatant artifact of being a PSP game, are the small area sizes with sparse geometry and subsquently frequent loading, due to segmenting the areas so much.

I put about 20 minutes into my pre-order for the PS4. It sucked, IMHO.

Japanese developers love using frame locks. In the case of fast games like Street Fighter or some shmups, it's so there is a 100% consistent frame rate since certain advanced tricks are frame dependent (ie game is 60fps, each move has a set amount of frames in startup/active/hitting that you must manipulate to be exact or time certain combos). In the case of single player games, frame locks and screen size manipulation are for cinematic reasons, and to show the story the way the artist intended.

These aren't really work arounds for performance the way American devs do them. It's how the game was meant to be played on the technical and visual level. Hence, they tend not to really be removed.

Don't assume the rest of the world works like the US, it doesn't.

I still think FF7 was one of the greatest games ever, but I also played FFX and enjoyed that. I'm keeping an eye out for this one. Thanks for the heads-up!

Japanese developers love using frame locks. In the case of fast games like Street Fighter or some shmups, it's so there is a 100% consistent frame rate since certain advanced tricks are frame dependent (ie game is 60fps, each move has a set amount of frames in startup/active/hitting that you must manipulate to be exact or time certain combos). In the case of single player games, frame locks and screen size manipulation are for cinematic reasons, and to show the story the way the artist intended.

These aren't really work arounds for performance the way American devs do them. It's how the game was meant to be played on the technical and visual level. Hence, they tend not to really be removed.

Don't assume the rest of the world works like the US, it doesn't.

Framelocks would be fine if the entire game or at least whole parts of the game were frame locked, or at least it would make sense from your point of view.

What I don't like is that in several areas, even the corridor type ones, there be large areas where there would be 60fps, but out of the blue there would be a small area where it suddenly drops to 30fps for no apparent reason. And it's always the same areas, and it's always there (it will be there when I run the game at 4k, it will be there if I run the game at 720p).

TV's probably suffer less from 30fps due to the way it changes from frame to frame, but on a computer monitor it becomes very uncomfortable judder (well 30 fps is very uncomfortable for me, hence why I prefer not to have 30fps locked for the entire game).

Anyone have any more experience playing this? I'm thinking about picking it up on Steam. I was curious what the battle system was like and if it is more open world like the old school FF or on rails like XIII.

Framelocks would be fine if the entire game or at least whole parts of the game were frame locked, or at least it would make sense from your point of view.

What I don't like is that in several areas, even the corridor type ones, there be large areas where there would be 60fps, but out of the blue there would be a small area where it suddenly drops to 30fps for no apparent reason. And it's always the same areas, and it's always there (it will be there when I run the game at 4k, it will be there if I run the game at 720p).

TV's probably suffer less from 30fps due to the way it changes from frame to frame, but on a computer monitor it becomes very uncomfortable judder (well 30 fps is very uncomfortable for me, hence why I prefer not to have 30fps locked for the entire game).

Sounds to me like they wanted to maintain 60 FPS, but in areas they knew they couldn't maintain that, instead of getting alot of stuttering / tearing they decided to chop it in half, because on a 60hz monitor, going from 60 to 30 fps is still smooth compared to seeing a framerate rollercoaster of 60 fps -> 41 fps -> 33 fps -> 51 fps -> 47 fps etc.

Also, going from 60 fps to 30 fps is a symptom of having vertical sync enabled without triple buffering, but that's different than this case.

That's exactly what I was thinking, it would have made sense why they had it in their console versions but leaving it in the PC was odd (perhaps lazy?).

I do wish there was an option to switch the feature off though.

EDIT: Back on topic, anyone who played the original or the HD remake shed their opinion on this game?

Back