Final Fantasy 6 (US 3) now available on iOS

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
Just thought I would give a heads up as, IMO, the best final fantasy game is now available for iOS on the App Store. Graphics are improved over the old SNES version.

I have all these on NES and SNES, so having a backup copy on my phone was always a good thing

$16? Yikes... i'll wait for it to go on sale. I'll never spend over $5 on a game for my phone.

$16? Yikes... i'll wait for it to go on sale. I'll never spend over $5 on a game for my phone.

If its remastered, I don't mind. I'd rather pay $15 for a quality game on an Android platform, rather than $2 or $5 and have it jam packed with in-app purchases! Oh, for those who want to wait, they do often put their titles on sale for between $5 and $8.

For those that are unaware, Square Enix have some GREAT Android (and iOS) games.

Final Fantasy - The original! Graphically upgraded of course. 2D, high res
Final Fantasy II - Another early work, 2D, high res, upgraded. Definitely for fans of the series.
Final Fantasy III - This is an enhanced port of the Nintendo DS version, with 3D models and more. Great fun, with an excellent job system
Final Fantasy IV - Originally released as "Final Fantasy II" in the US back in the SNES days, This is also an enhanced port of the NDS version, with upgraded 3D models and full voice acting in both English and Japanese. The only problem in my mind is that the Japanese audio IS there in the Android game file, but is only activated if you choose JP locale for your Android device, and that forces you into Japanese text/menus as well. Best of all, this version is "Hard Type" and Uncensored, with all kinds of enhancements! FFIV will always have a special place in my library as it was the first game I ever played that had a love story between playable characters that grow and develop as a central theme.
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - For the first time ever, this is the 3D variant of the limited release FFIV: The After Years, which was released in a 2D format on Japanese cell phones at one point, and on the Wii Shop in installments. It has similar quality and graphics to Android FFIV, has been enhanced considerably since the 2D days, and you get all the episodes together plus some extra! I HIGHLY suggest you play FFIV (the Android/iOS or NDS version) first because this is a direct story continuance of FFIV and you'll want to know all the characters and whatnot and get all the references and easter eggs.
Final Fantasy V - This is an enhanced refresh (2D, sprite, high res etc.) of FFV. Originally, V never came to the US, so this is a great way to enjoy it, even if you like I played with an english-patched ROM back in the day. V was basically the originator of the most comprehensive "Job System" we know from Final Fantasy.
Final Fantasy VI - This is the 2D enhanced refresh of what many believe to be one of the 3 best JRPGs of all time ( Xenogears, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger). It has gotten a similar upgrade to those above, including Amano-inspired portraits and high res sprites. While I really, really would be interested to see a full 3D remake a la FFIV/FFIV:TAY, this is still a great version! Enhanced and uncensored, with a new script, compared to US FF3 back in the day!
Final Fantasy Dimensions: The first completely unique "true" Final Fantasy for Android/iOS, this is a brand new tale with great FF themes (job system, crystals, chocobos etc..). 2D, high res. Well worth a play!
Chrono Trigger - There is a 2D, enhanced version of this landmark JRPG for iOS and Android as well. Enjoy!
Chaos Rings, Chaos Rings Omega, Chaos Rings II - This series of 3D JRPGs are fully voiced (and Japanese audio IS selectable in this case, even with english subtitles). Very well made and enjoyable. Play them in the order I listed above, the order of release.

I hope they bring "Bravely Default" to Android as well!

Last edited:
That was a pretty detailed post Xaeos, I enoyed the FF series up to FF7 and haven't really cared for it since. I may have to go broke on some these games!

I've been playing this for the past couple weeks on the moto x doing a LLG Near Perfect File. I know the price is high but I would say FF6 and FF Dimensions are the two FFs worth getting on mobile.

This is based off the GBA version with some aesthetic/convenience enhancements that make it a more enjoyable ride. The character sprites are redone and look cleaner/better, but the touched up Amano portraits dont match the new style and the enemy sprites are not really redone to the same level. Surprisingly noticing some *rare* moments of slowdown during battles, but it isn't anything to dock a star for like the terrible loading time found in the awful PS1 port.

If they had also remade the music and fixed my complaints with the mismatched portraits it would be perfect, but I guess OCN has us covered with their recently released FF6 album.

There is also the upcoming new Breath of Fire 6, which I am hoping Capcom releases for the western market.

I have played this a little and I am starting to see some small changes ... for example when Locke First sees Celes in her cell, with the two guards, in the original game a guard punched her a few times and then she collapsed. On this version the guard does not hit her, she just collapses .... weird.

Does this still have the gamebreaking bug that made it so you couldnt progress past the halfway point? i Believe it was on FF VI...

Back