• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Final Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
5,955
Folding Basics:

Q: What is this Folding I keep reading about?
A: Folding is a reseach project run by Stanford University designed to gather data to find a solution to some of todays worst illnesses.

From the Stanford website:

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.


Q: Where can I find more information about this?
A: There are a few resources that you can find a lot of additional information:

Q: I would like to start Folding! How can I get going?
A: Read our Folding@Home Install Guide.​
 
United Devices/Grid.org Basics:

Q: What is this United Devices I keep reading about?
A: "The Grid" is a research project that is attempting to gather data to assist scientists in the research of many of todays worst illnesses.

From the Grid website:

Grid.org is a single destination site for large-scale, non-profit research projects of global significance. With the participation of over 3 million devices worldwide, grid.org projects like Cancer Research, Anthrax Research, Smallpox Research and the new Human Proteome Folding Project (running in conjunction with IBM's new World Community Grid) have achieved record levels of processing speed and success.

Q: Where can I find more information about this?
A: There are two resources that you can find a lot of additional information:

Q: I would like to join The Grid! How can I get going?
A: Read our UD/Grid.org Install Guide.​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top