Final check on my parts before I pull the trigger

silentwolf

n00b
Hey everyone, I jsut want you all to take a look at my final parts lsit for my new computer before I go ahead and pull the trigger.

Motherboard:
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

Memory:
Twinx2048-3500LLPRO

Video Card:
2x EVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-p2-N517-AX Video Card

Case:
Lian Li V series PC-V2100B

Hard Drives:
2x Western Digital Raptor 74 GB 10,000 RPM SATA
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KD 400GB 7200RPM SATA

Optical Drives:
Plextor SATA DVD Burner PX-716A/SW

Power Supply:
OCZ 600 Watt SLI Power Stream Power Supply

Sound Card:
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Fatality Sound Card

Processor:
AMD Opteron 170 Dual core Processor (0541)

Radiator:
Danger Den Black Ice Pro 3 Radiator

Water cooling:
Danger Den TDX A64 Copper ½” ID Water Block
Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block
Innovatek Eheim HPPS Plus 12V Water Pump

This computer has a max lifespan of the next 3 and a half years, but an expected lifespan of about 2 before I upgrade some stuff again. Its goign to be overclocked to its max as well. Its mainly for gaming and school, so I am going for a little reliability mixed in with speed. Give my your thoughts and opinions on it before I go ahead and burn a hole in my wallet.

Well, the cooler it stays on average, the longer it lasts. I really think itll last a lot longer than 3 1/2 years. That seems really short for the lifespan of something like this.

What kind of monitor do you have? Unless it is a 24", you don't need SLI 7800s right now. I'd buy a single, and upgrade to a second down the road for a lot cheaper when you need it.

Also, that Plextor drive is a waste of money. Buy a NEC 3550 or 4550 for less than half the price and have just as good a drive.

Why two Raptors? Why a Raptor at all? RAID0 does virtually nothing for gaming. So, unless you are hardcore about that couple second difference in load times, or do mega photoshop or video editing work when pulling large files off fast makes a huge difference, don't waste your money. 400 gig drives also miss the best price-performance ratio. I'd get two 300/320 gig Maxtors or WDs and have the same real world performance for a lot less money (and get a lot less noise in the process).

NulloModo said:
What kind of monitor do you have? Unless it is a 24", you don't need SLI 7800s right now. I'd buy a single, and upgrade to a second down the road for a lot cheaper when you need it.

Also, that Plextor drive is a waste of money. Buy a NEC 3550 or 4550 for less than half the price and have just as good a drive.

Why two Raptors? Why a Raptor at all? RAID0 does virtually nothing for gaming. So, unless you are hardcore about that couple second difference in load times, or do mega photoshop or video editing work when pulling large files off fast makes a huge difference, don't waste your money. 400 gig drives also miss the best price-performance ratio. I'd get two 300/320 gig Maxtors or WDs and have the same real world performance for a lot less money (and get a lot less noise in the process).

QFT. Also, I'd go for some G.Skill RAM wise.

As far as the monitors go, I am going to be running dual 2005 FPW's, which is why I picked up the SLI cards.

As for the raid, I am a photoshop person, and thats what I am going to school to do, as well as the 3D modeling apps, which will benefit from the RAID system. Not to mention windows and the page file work faster on a raid array of raptors. And yes I am aware that the newer drives out like the hitachi deathstar run nearly as fast as the raptors, but I am going to throw them in there. I might downgrade the storage drive to 300 GB under your recomendation.

As for the memory, its still a bit of a toss up for me. I have talked with a few people and they said the corsair was nice stuff.

silentwolf said:
As far as the monitors go, I am going to be running dual 2005 FPW's, which is why I picked up the SLI cards.

As for the raid, I am a photoshop person, and thats what I am going to school to do, as well as the 3D modeling apps, which will benefit from the RAID system. Not to mention windows and the page file work faster on a raid array of raptors. And yes I am aware that the newer drives out like the hitachi deathstar run nearly as fast as the raptors, but I am going to throw them in there. I might downgrade the storage drive to 300 GB under your recomendation.

As for the memory, its still a bit of a toss up for me. I have talked with a few people and they said the corsair was nice stuff.

OK, under those conditions the Raptors make sense. Ever gamed on Dual monitors though? It sucks. Dual monitors is great for desktop work, sucks ass for running both for gaming. I'd drop one of the graphics cards still if I were you and plan on gaming on one of them at a time.

I have run dual 19inch monitors for over a year, and have never noticed that much a performance hit. Honestly, I feel lost gaming without my dual monitors. I use the main one for gaming, and the secondary one for stats, TS, guides, or anything else like that. I will admit you pay a price for gaming on dual monitors, but for me its jsut become normal.

silentwolf said:
I have run dual 19inch monitors for over a year, and have never noticed that much a performance hit. Honestly, I feel lost gaming without my dual monitors. I use the main one for gaming, and the secondary one for stats, TS, guides, or anything else like that. I will admit you pay a price for gaming on dual monitors, but for me its jsut become normal.

I wasn't talking about the performance hit as much as it is odd to look at dual screens. Then again, I hate dual monitors for anything... maybe it is just me. I'd rather have one screen with the same res or more than have it split up across a space with stuff between, even if it is just bezels.

NulloModo said:
I wasn't talking about the performance hit as much as it is odd to look at dual screens. Then again, I hate dual monitors for anything... maybe it is just me. I'd rather have one screen with the same res or more than have it split up across a space with stuff between, even if it is just bezels.

Now I know what your thinking of. your thinking of playing the game across both screens. As far as windows goes, you cant play a game across both screens. It will only play on one. I was talking about playing the game on the main scren, and having stats like teamspeak on the second.

So anyone else have any comments?

Back