Filters?

KodiakStar

/'s by 0
I just got an adapter for my Olympus SP-500 UZ to allow me to use 55mm filters.

What filters (if any) do you find yourself using the most, and what brands do you prefer?

I'm currently thinking about a UV, Polarizing, Skylight 1A, and Diffusion.

Additionally, are Macro filters really effective with a digital camera?

Filters I would use: circular polarizer, neutral density, and graduated density. I don't really see much benefit in in UV or skylight filters. Diffusion is really a preference if you want an image shot with such effect.

For circular polarizer - I'd use Nikon's or Hoya's Supermulticoated one, both are expensive though.
There are also B+W and Tiffen filters, but various companies make better filters than others.

Regarding macro filters, I assume you mean close up filters like the Canon 250D/500D. Well, I know they work on a dSLR and can produce nice results. I am less sure how they'd work on a camera like yours though.

Hoya and Tiffen are the two names I've been seeing the most.

I figured that would be the case on the Macro filters.. My parents got me this camera last year (not taking my recommendations into account :p) and now my wife is not letting me buy a new camera...

So I'll play with what I have. I'll have to look into the density filters and see what they are about...

ND filters decrease the amount of light passing through it by some number of stops. They are used mostly for creative effect or to get better exposure in a part of the frame. A typical example for this is photographing a waterfall in bright light. You can get more of that fluid, blurry water effect with a slower shutter speed, so you put on the ND filter to cut the light by several stops to get the shutter speed you want to get that effect. Graduated density filters have varying levels of ND across the filter.

I personally use Hoyas. I have a UV filter strictly for keeping dust off of my lenses. I sometimes use a Circular Polarizer on extremely sunny days, also will cut alot of the glare off of shiny objects. I have an 8x Neutral Density filters I use for such things as water falls and, if you want to shoot motion during daylight hours and, have it have a trails effect.

I just got a ND2 B+W, lost a Hoya Pro1 Polarizer :\

(going ebay its the only way my wife will let me get fun toys right now...)

I don't really use filters much. Only UV for protection if I'm out in more challenging situations like the beach or rainy days. I like using Heliopan's.

I use neutral density, and graduated density outside for landscape stuff, but im not very good with them.

UV? Pointless IMO, but I do have 3 of them I use as a almost 24/7 clear lens cap on my L glass. I take them off when im shooting something importing.

Back