filling stamped holes in steel chassis?

Wharf_Rat

[H]ard|Gawd
What are my options to fill stamped holes as shown in the picture below?

fanRadMount.jpg

I have a bit of these to seal, about 3/16" in size, but whatever I use needs to be sanded and withstand the powder coating process. I want them sealed for noise and airflow reasons.

So far I have thought about trying to JBWeld it with some kinda tape behind for support. Anyone know if this will work or have better ideas? The back holes will be the only visible holes, I could get away with a foil around the fan and heatercore holes.

From what I understand, bondo and powder coating do not work well together. Apparently the bondo cant take a charge and wont hold the powder?

What equipment/supplies would i need to weld these holes shut?

I don't suppose you could poweder coat it and then use the fiberglass???? Then simply paint the fiberglass to match...or add a die to the mix?

I agree though...some sort of fiberglass/adhesive mix may be your best bet there. I think you may end up with more work than you want with welding it. Most PC cases are made of softer steel (well, at least not hardened steel) and if you're not fairly experienced in welding, you'll just end up burning a bigger hole there.

I suppose you could mix metal shavings/dust in with some epoxy and go that route also. Of course, if you covered those holes with something like screen or "modders mesh" it would be easier to cover up.

any metal workers out there????

Doing a plate over the holes with a fan cutout in the middle is what I would recommend. JBWeld is also an option, it does take powdercoating but tends to outgas, or in the case of some colors such as white show some discoloration.

Do you have a powdercoater lined up yet? The guy who did mine in this thread is giving a $10 discount on computer cases if you mention the work he did on my case. ;)

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I might try the method pointed out by thebro. I dont have much experience with a torch, so I am kind of hesitant. I keep reading "warping" and it doesnt sound like fun =)

I have a local shop who said they would powdercoat for me. I am also trying to get in contact with the art dept, at the local community college (they sometimes do it for free/really cheap).

Lastly I may get a plate powdercoated seperately. and fasten it over the back holes later. Then just use a foil tape over the front holes to seal them up.

I also thought of cutting oversized plates, opening up the middle, attaching some type of filtration material to the backside and thumb screwing them to the 2 front locations.

Decisions, decisions...

thanks again guys

bondo.. epoxy.. or even tile sealer.. or silicon will work but oyu hvae to use bondo as well

I would cut the opening larger to remove all the holes, then make a seperate plate that overlaps the opening. Attach the plate with a screw and nut in each corner then powder coat the parts seperately and re-assemble.

The biggest issue with powder coating is that they have to be baked at up to 400 deg F. This will melt most fillers and solder unless you use hi-temp silver.

If you weld it, use a MIG welder to quickly deposit the filler, using a torch will result in a warped case and even burned holes. Check out American Chopper, Paulie always uses a MIG welder on thin sheet, if he doesn't Sr. will put a size 12 up his butt.

question about the welding. What rods did you use and what setting on the arc? Im looking to do the same thing with my case, and I can pick up a small 110 welder, which I think would have enough juice.

Why not use a torch, and some metal with a low melting point, such as brass, or copper?

Because, if you dont fuse the metels together they can pop out. Im going to fill a crap load of holes and fix a few cutting errors I made, and I dont want to use a back plate or anything. Was going to make a replacement plate, cut out the holes and errors, and weld it in place. Torch welding takes too long to get the steel up to a melting point and would run a higher risk of warping the metal.

To save money, but he's going to buy an electric welder. I don't imagine them being very cheap.

ahh...but if he simply bought a new case, then he will have passed up the perfect excuse to get yet another nifty tool! :)

I justify the purchase of all my tools with at least a 1 time project. For those of us that are married, it's much simpler to say we *need* something to get the job done...instead of saying *it would make things a little easier*, or *I would like*...etc....

:D

MOD ON! Buy the Welder! Then bask in it's bright blue-ish light!

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
To save money, but he's going to buy an electric welder. I don't imagine them being very cheap.

Actually, you would be suprised. Wal-mart has a 110v arc welder for 85 bucks. Granted, it wont do anything heavy duty, but for my house it would be perfect. The only concern I have is what rods to use and recomended settings.

arc welders are not good for much

i have a gasless wire feed welder and it works pretty well on my case and it was 199 at sears with a 3 year warranty

Back