Filesharing behind firewall and bandwidth managment

Ampsonic

Gawd
Hello,

I have a few questions about how I should set up my network.
Here's what I've got:

Linksys WRT54Gv2 router
Wired desktop
Wireless laptop
An existing network in my apartment complex, which provides internet/allows file sharing between roomates.

Here's what I want to do:
Have my router plugged into the port into my room to share the internet with both my desktop and laptop, while still allowing file/printer sharing between my desktop and computer beyond the router. Is this possible?

Also, my apartment complex limits our bandwidth to 700mb every 12 hours, which gets annoying when trying to download large files. If you go over, they shut you down for another 12 hours. Anyone know a good way to monitor/throttle the bandwidth so I don't get my internet shut down all the time. (Though I've found that changing my MAC address seems to give me my internet back...wonder if they'll notice that...)

Thanks!
Nick Bodmer

Ampsonic said:
Anyone know a good way to monitor/throttle the bandwidth so I don't get my internet shut down all the time.
Netstat Live or DUMeter. Both will do what you need.

It sound like what you want is a switch plugged into the wall and then a wireless access point plugged into the switch. A router is not necessary in this setup.

Not sure, but I don't think windows old file transfer will work over NAT(router)... Well not with out a WINS server (or you have to run \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to get to the machines)
*broadcast traffic won't be sent over the cheep routers.

Go with the switch method, you can use a soho multi port router/switch as a switch. At least I do with a cheepo dlink I bought.

Back