Fileserver

Glitchwolf

Weaksauce
I have come to relize that it is a pain in the ass to have many harddrives in your main computer. Right now I have two 120GBs WesternDigitals and I hate having to mangage them.

What I want to do is purchase a 36GB Raptor, move my 120GBs out and make a fileserver for the house, I just need some ideas and crits on the parts.

Now, keep in mind that I am trying to stay uber cheap here, so if you have any recommendations please tell. I still need help picking out a good lookin case (BLACK) and powersupply.

Also, if you have any recommendations on OSs for it I would be grateful. XP takes alot of hardware to run and I want to cut corners wherever possible. I will need to be able to remote adminastrate this computer, as it will not have a permanit monitor, so keep that in mind.

Heres the list.

File Server

Hardware:
-AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, 266MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor - OEM -$40.50
-BIOSTAR SiS 740 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "M7VKQ PRO" -RETAIL $47.50
-CRUCIAL 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2100, 64M x 64 - OEM $63.00
-Cooler Master Copper Base CPU Cooler for Socket A/370,Model:CP5-6J31C-01.$8.99

Case:
-

I would say just run a cut down version of XP Pro, with all the visual effects removed. For a case, search Newegg, they've got a good selection of decent looking cases for cheap with large amounts of storage. Just look for a case with hard drive rails that extend all the way to the bottom of the case, you'll have the most room to space out yoru dirves that way and put an 80 mm fan in the front for cooling for the drives.

Example Case on NewEgg

just after a quick search, but it's a decent looking case for cheap, and if u look at the internal pictures, you can see what what i mean about the hard drive mounting rails extending all the way to the bottom of the case

i have an ftp server running on an old 500mhz p3.

i use windows 2000 server on it w/ no video, keyboard (turned off detection in bios), only plugs in the back are power, network, and a usb cable to the networked printer.

i'm looking for a fileserver much like an NAS box linux distro...i have not seen any out there...only pocket routers and access points....i just need something simple that will run samba or nfs

i have another server sitting here that is KVMed to my main machine... i never kvm too it though..always use RDC from my laptop in the living room. :p

For an OS I can only suggest Windows Server 2003. I run it at home on my file server. I have a domain for the house running that OS as well.

The great part is the system requirements for the OS are a 133Mhz processor with 128MB of RAM (at the lostest possible)
They suggest at least a 733Mhz processor at 256Mb of ram. A system twice those base specs is still cheap, that's why I am running that OS.

As for hardware, I have no opinion on that. I haven't been around the hardware scene lately, so I have to brush up on whats new.

I'd slap Linux on it if you know Linux. Remote desktop is fine over a lan but once you leave your house... *shudder*. I like being able to get at my machines remotely, even over modems. Plus Linux is free, or at least really cheap if you don't have broadband and have to buy a CD.

BTW, I think you're slightly nuts. Having lots of HDDs is great. I've got 11 in my main rig. Well, actually 1 in the rig and 10 in an external box, but close enough. I used to only have 3. 11 is much better.

I'm building a server at the moment as well. I have all the parts, just gotta put it all together and decide on an OS. I'm probably gonna put 2kpro, or 2k server (or advanced server) for now, while I decide how I'm gonna run the Linux. I'm gonna work on the linux portion of it on my linux box. That way I can have the server up while I work on what I want the Linux OS to run. It'll likely be Gentoo. The server will also serve as a game server when I go to LAN parties.

-2ghz Celeron CPU
-Asus Motherboard
-2x256mb PC2100 Crucial DDR
-30gb HD and 120gb HD

So do I actually need a motherboard with onboard video? Or can I just use networking?

I guess I will run a cutdown version of XP because it is just easier.

Now all I have to do is find a case and PSU.

Now I've got a question about RAID and the Raptors.

If I were to buy a single 36GB Raptor, would it be faster than my current WesternDigital? Everyone on NewEgg seems to run thiers in RAID 0, and the whole point of this operation for me was to only have one HDD.

So, I guess what I am asking, would I notice a speed increase with the Raptor?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Glitchwolf
So do I actually need a motherboard with onboard video? Or can I just use networking?

I guess I will run a cutdown version of XP because it is just easier.

Now all I have to do is find a case and PSU.

Generally speaking you have to have video of some sort, but a $10 pci card off of ebay will do fine for a pure server.
Some OEM mobos may not require it, but it takes a really odd bios you'll only find on specialty boards.
Most PC server machines have some sort of cheap integrated video on the mainboard with maybe 4MB of ram. Just enough for basic 2D. Some of the good ones will support a serial console. Offhand I can't think of any models that have no video at all, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
If you really want something w/ no video a low end ($1000 or something like that) Sun is probably your best bet. Just hunt down a cheapo PCI or AGP card.

Ek. Thanks for the info.

Anyone know anything about the RAID? I want to know if it would be worth it for me to buy this Raptor, or should I just RAID0 these two 120s. That Raptor sure sounds sexy.

Any advice is welcome.

Back