Fileserver sharing with existing setup? Hardware+Settings

Ok, I currently have

Internet --> Broadband router -->
#1) Main Workstation (Win 7, has 2 Gigabit lans, one used from router)
#2) Win Xp Fileserver (1 ethernet connector, one used from router)

How can I share files between 1 & 2? do I need a direct cable between the two? do I need a switchbox? additional network adapter for #2?

How do I wire them? Settings?

If both of the devices are plugged into your router and can get to the internet, they are already wired up. A home router is more than just a router, it's a router/firewall/switch. If you are using the same username / password combination for both pcs it actually makes things less complex as the computer will provide the login information for you.

On Windows 7, open up My Computer and find the folder you want to share. Right click on it, share with > specific people. Your current username should already be in the list with read / write permissions. Click the share button to accept the changes.

Windows XP. Open up My computer and find the folder you want to share. Right click on it,and click on sharing and security. Check the box to "share this folder on the network" and if you would like to modify files on the other pc check the box to allow network users to change my files. Click okay.

Once you have the shares you can map a drive letter to them. Right click on my computer and choose map network drive. Click the browse button and start clicking through the network until you find the other pc and it's share. Alternatively you can put in \\computername\sharename or \\ipaddress\sharename. So the computer I want to connect to is box1 and the folder I shared was called share, I would put in \\box1\share or \\192.168.1.2\share if the ip address of that pc was 192.168.1.2.

Back