file type from a minolta film scanner

gesicht

Gawd
i scanned some film at school with a konica minolta film scanner. i saved the files to my thumb drive. i am at home and i try to open the file and they have no file extention. when i saved the file i said no compression jpg but .jpg will not work. it was on a apple computer too and i am on a PC.

have any ideas how i can open them? it will be several days till i get back to class to ask someone there.

but i just wanted them to post on the web. i was going to balance the color then compress for web.

Id look at the Konica-Minolta site and, see if there is a plug in there for it. Or do you have CS? If so try opening it with it. It may atleast identify it for you or, have you tried looking at its properties. If it is something Apple has then you need to take it back and, try to load it so, it will work with all computers. Im tired of all these propietary formats. Much like RAWs for each camera manufacturer. They need to standardize it for the consumers benefit and, not their own.

When I scan stuff in uncompressed format with my Konica Minolta film scanner, it always ends up being just a tif file. I don't think the software uses any proprietary formats (and if it does, I've never used them). Well, at least mine doesn't.

gesicht said:
i scanned some film at school with a konica minolta film scanner. i saved the files to my thumb drive. i am at home and i try to open the file and they have no file extention. when i saved the file i said no compression jpg but .jpg will not work. it was on a apple computer too and i am on a PC.

have any ideas how i can open them? it will be several days till i get back to class to ask someone there.
I'm not sure I get your drift here. Did you rename the file to have a .jpg extension?

Have you tried opening the image from within a graphics program like Photoshop or IrfanView instead of double clicking it?

yes the files had no extension, i have known file extensions turned off in windows. i tried add .jpg because i saved them as jpg in the scanner program. still would not open. not valid jpg file.

i tried to open it with in infanview but since it has no file extension i just get an error.

Try adding a .tif extension and see if that works. If you told the software no compression then it probably formatted the file as a tiff even if you had jpg selected.

i tried .tif too and about every file type i could think of none would work.

Well what I would do is clear the thumbdrive and, when it wants to do jpeg compression do it.It should allow for choosing a file size or, it I would hope it would. Then see if that works. While yes it is a pain to do it all over again, sometimes it is the only option.

i get back to class tomarrow. i am just going to save them to the hard drive make sure i know what format they are in then move them to the thumbdrive and make sure they work. i even emailed lethal a copy of one of them to see if he could open it

last time i just saved them right to the thumbdrive from the scanner software and never looked at them. that is why i had no idea what to do with these files.

I'd also see if within the software on the mac there is a Export option to export to a definite PC file format. BTW - Lethal is not a dude. ;)

and the winner is .PCT, after all this i will post some of my crappy photo 1 pictures.

edit: new problem, all my images are now 426x1536 ( just a strip of my photo), they should be like normal 35mm film size ratio. they are the same file size so the data is not missing just something is telling the file it is the wrong size i guess.

samplestripesweb.jpg

Well congrats on finally getting them to open. Interesting kind of collage there.

i only got a slice of each image. they are 3mb files that are only 426x1536, they should be like 2000-2500 wide

Back