• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

File Transfer Question

SNIP3R

Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
530
I am trying to transfer all my old IDE storage onto my SATA drives.

It seems that I can easily access the IDE drives via master and slave setup.
But when SATA drive running Master or Slave I am not getting full access to IDE when trying to file transfer. (Access is Denied error)

Running into these issues made me curious if an IDE to SATA cable exists?

Any help is appreciated. :D
 
SNIP3R said:
I am trying to transfer all my old IDE storage onto my SATA drives.

It seems that I can easily access the IDE drives via master and slave setup.

OK, I understood that.

SNIP3R said:
But when SATA drive running Master or Slave I am not getting full access to IDE when trying to file transfer. (Access is Denied error)

What are you trying to do?

SNIP3R said:
Running into these issues made me curious if an IDE to SATA cable exists?

You mean like this one?

SNIP3R said:
Any help is appreciated. :D

I'd be happy to help out if you could describe what you're doing.
 
Let me back up.....

Master: 74 gig Raptor, Slave: 160 gig IDE.

When trying to access IDE for files to transfer I am getting.....

D:\Documents and Settings\SNIP3R is not accessible. Access is denied.
 
Did you install another operating system already?

Either way it looks like you don't have permissions to those folders, either wrong user account or not an admin account. There is some option to encrypt those folders on win xp, and if you installed another os, you might be out of luck. But you might try making a user account with the same name and seeing if it gives you access to those files, or try the ultimate boot cd and see if you have access in there.
 
SATA has no master / slave relationship.

Have you fully described your setup? Your first post implies that you have more than one IDE drive, and one SATA drive. Your second implies you just have one IDE, one SATA. So which is it?

Are your drives showing up in Windows Explorer? Does the error appear when you try to click on a drive in Explorer, or are you trying to use a shortcut from somewhere else, or a script? Is there a Windows installation on the drive you're trying to copy to?

This could be a hardware problem, permissions issue, or maybe something else. I suggest you dump your brain onto the webpage so that we can figure out what your problem is.
 
if you find that it's not a permissions issue...

if you're trying to MOVE the files instead of copy, the message means that some program has an open access to the directory or files in the directory.. try in Safe Mode.. if that doesn't work, DOS (not windows command prompt) will work fine.
 
Sounds like a 2 OS issue... Boot into 1st OS and move files out of Documents and Settings and into say C:\DOCS then boot into 2nd OS and have free rein.....

Anything past C:\Documents and Settings and C:\Windows will generate Access Denied
 
Back
Top