File sharing on different nic

Ok here's the situation I have a pc and a laptop I want to share and transfer files back and forth. However the speed is horrible through wifi so I want to have access to the internet through wifi and use the ethernet ports for connecting the two computers with a crossover cable. How can I have the internet routed through the wireless nics and just the file sharing alone routed through the ethernet ports via a crossover cable?

Right now as I have it set up it sees both computers and knows it's a multiple network according to Vista's network sharing interface but I'm not able to route the file sharing through the cross over cable as everything goes through wifi and it's slow!

1. Set up the NICs on either end of the crossover cable with static addresses that are in the same network, but are different than the addresses being used by the WiFi:

Usually consumer equipment uses 192.168.X.X for networking. So you could use 10.X.X.X for the NICs (for example, 10.0.0.1 for the NIC at one end, and 10.0.0.2 for the other)

2 Use the same subnet mask at either end (255.255.255.0 would work in this example)

3 DON'T enter a "Default Gateway" for the NICs

Now when a packet of data is destined for the other machine, the TCP/IP stack will "see" the network address of the NIC is in the same network, and use it. For anything else, the TCP/IP stack will "see" that the network address is unknown, and use the default gateway...the WiFi

Works flawlessly, thanks oh-zone forgot that I had static IPs on the wireless nics but not the wired ones.

Use the IP address in the UNC when mapping the drive. Then you know the file data is traveling over the crossover cable.

Ahh this sucks.After a restart on either machine it no longer functions like it did. It keeps transferring over the wifi now and I no longer have my 12mb transfer speeds =(

Here's what little information I can gather about the setup:

PC w/ Vista Ultimate x86
192.168.1.124 wireless
255.255.255.0 subnet
192.168.1.1 gateway

10.0.0.1 ethernet
255.0.0.0 subnet

Laptop w/ Vista Ultimate x86
192.168.1.112 wireless
255.255.255.0 subnet
192.168.1.1 gateway

10.0.0.2 ethernet
255.0.0.0 subnet

Both machines connected with a crossover cable and have internet connection through wifi. Both machines are able to see each other and browse shared resources but at wifi speeds only. When I assigned the static IP addresses to the wired nics I followed MS' instruction of enabling network discovery on one of the machines (desktop).

I don't know how and why it worked the first time but now it's not. Might be some minor detail I'm missing but I could have sworn I used the same subnet mask on both the wired and wireless nics on both machines which I'm guessing is a no no. Anyways if anyone can offer up some assisstance and some knowledge on how this works I'd be very grateful.

Change the binding orders so the LAN NICs load first...and unbind server and workstation services from the wireless NICs.

Right click network places, properties
Advanced drop down menu..Advanced Settings

You'll see your two NICs up top, and as you highlight each one..the services bound to it below.

Unbind file and print sharing, as well as workstation, (remove check) when you highlight your WLAN NIC. This will FORCE the OS to never try any networking services on it. Leave TCP checked obviously since you want to surf from it.

I believe those are directions for XP and I'm on Vista so it's a little different as I'm not sure where everything is. However, it seems to be working for now maybe it just needed some time to initialize and recognize the new settings.

Back